Unpopular Disney World Opinions

UNCgolf

I get what you’re saying about the area transitions, but like I said, you can argue over the execution of how certain elements are implemented all you want, but that doesn’t change the thematic appropriateness of something within the park.

Also, keep in mind that the LA/Old Hollywood sections are DHS’s equivalent to MK’s Main Street USA or DAK’s Discovery Island and shouldn’t have to try any harder transitioning it into the other areas of the park than they do. While the lands of DHS don’t neatly radiate off the center of the park like in those two cases, much like the transition from Galaxy’s Edge to Toy Story land, there isn’t much that could’ve been done about that.

Yeah, but it wasn't originally like that. The whole park was essentially LA/Old Hollywood. It wasn't just the main street type entrance area. The Sunset Ranch Market area leading to the Tower of Terror is a facsimile of the original farmer's market in Los Angeles, all the huge warehouse buildings are mimicking the soundstages you find on Paramount etc. studio lots, and so on. Even the Streets of America were themed as though you were in a studio backlot for filming. Essentially the park was designed so that part of the park was LA outside of a studio lot, and everything else was inside a studio lot.

Now the park feels like a random mishmash of areas that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I'm not sure what they could have done to change that, though -- once they gave up on the working studio idea the whole theme of the park went with it. I wouldn't want them to change any of the LA inspired areas because I love them, but without totally redoing everything I think the park is doomed to be a random assortment of IPs rather than any sort of cohesive whole.

Anyways, I still agree about the thematic appropriateness. I don't think any IP is thematically inappropriate there.

Donaldfan1934

Yeah, but it wasn't originally like that. The whole park was essentially LA/Old Hollywood. It wasn't just the main street type entrance area. The Sunset Ranch Market area leading to the Tower of Terror is a facsimile of the original farmer's market in Los Angeles, all the huge warehouse buildings are mimicking the soundstages you find on Paramount etc. studio lots, and so on. Even the Streets of America were themed as though you were in a studio backlot for filming. Essentially the park was designed so that part of the park was LA outside of a studio lot, and everything else was inside a studio lot.

Now the park feels like a random mishmash of areas that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I'm not sure what they could have done to change that, though -- once they gave up on the working studio idea the whole theme of the park went with it. I wouldn't want them to change any of the LA inspired areas because I love them, but without totally redoing everything I think the park is doomed to be a random assortment of IPs rather than any sort of cohesive whole.

Anyways, I still agree about the thematic appropriateness. I don't think any IP is thematically inappropriate there.
Therein lies the problem. When the working studio aspect went away, the park needed to take on movies from a new angle. Once the demand IP lands arose from both fans and the general public alike, the park’s future was pretty much a forgone conclusion even before any changes were even announced.

Where we seem to disagree is on whether or not the LA inspired areas can still work despite the park around it being retooled. Although I understand where you’re coming from on how what’s still there worked cohesively with what used to be there, I believe it works with what is there as well. Stepping into the worlds within the movies may be different than stepping into the real world behind them, but in my eyes, the Hollywood that never was and always will be is essential to any movie themed park and successfully compliments both in different ways.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Get ready to have your blood boiled.

1. Flight of Passage, at least the ride itself, is NOT impressive and most definitely NOT worth the 3 hour wait. Fight me.
2. Expedition Everest is in desperate need of a refurbishment. So is ToT, but I doubt anyone would disagree with that.
3. Dinosaur is unnecessarily dark and needs a deep clean as well.

UNCgolf

Where we seem to disagree is on whether or not the LA inspired areas can still work despite the park around it being retooled. Although I understand where you’re coming from on how what’s still there worked cohesively with what used to be there, I believe it works with what is there as well. Stepping into the worlds within the movies may be different than stepping into the real world behind them, but in my eyes, the Hollywood that never was and always will be is essential to any movie themed park and successfully compliments both in different ways.

You're right, I think that could work as a theme -- it's just Disney hasn't done anything to try to make it work. Galaxy's Edge is great (Toy Story Land not so much) but there's nothing to indicate you're supposed to now be stepping out of LA and into a movie or anything along those lines. You're just in Hollywood and then you're suddenly not. If they really wanted to make that the theme, they need to at least have something indicating that's what's supposed to be happening.

UNCgolf

Get ready to have your blood boiled.

1. Flight of Passage, at least the ride itself, is NOT impressive and most definitely NOT worth the 3 hour wait. Fight me.
2. Expedition Everest is in desperate need of a refurbishment. So is ToT, but I doubt anyone would disagree with that.
3. Dinosaur is unnecessarily dark and needs a deep clean as well.

I was impressed by Flight of Passage, but not to the extent that I'd wait 3 hours in line for it, so I partially agree. I'd happily ride it again with a FastPass but would never even consider waiting in that line standby. I could watch a high def video of it on a large TV and get 90% of the experience (which is why I'm not a big fan of screen based rides).

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

You're right, I think that could work as a theme -- it's just Disney hasn't done anything to try to make it work. Galaxy's Edge is great (Toy Story Land not so much) but there's nothing to indicate you're supposed to now be stepping out of LA and into a movie or anything along those lines. You're just in Hollywood and then you're suddenly not. If they really wanted to make that the theme, they need to at least have something indicating that's what's supposed to be happening.
Fair enough, but I think think the Grand Avenue entrance to Galaxy’s Edge does essentially what you’re saying even if it’s subtle.

UNCgolf

Fair enough, but I think think the Grand Avenue entrance to Galaxy’s Edge does essentially what you’re saying even if it’s subtle.

I almost mentioned that as the one possible exception. I don't think it does a very good job of it, but there's at least something happening there. The transition from TSL to GE (and vice versa) is pretty jarring, though. And I don't remember much of anything leading in to TSL from the main part of DHS.

Donaldfan1934

I almost mentioned that as the one possible exception. I don't think it does a very good job of it, but there's at least something happening there. The transition from TSL to GE (and vice versa) is pretty jarring, though. And I don't remember much of anything leading in to TSL from the main part of DHS.
Again, that’s fair criticism. TSL does seem to just sort of happen no matter where you enter it.

DfromATX

I think the decor for the Grand Floridian is old fashioned looking (unless they've renovated, which I wouldn't know since I haven't actually stayed there) and I think Test Track AND Star Tours are BORING.

UNCgolf

I've never understood the allure or price of the GF. For the money, you should really be at the Four Seasons Golden Oak.

GF feels like a retirement home on steroids.

I really like the Grand Floridian's main lobby and surrounding areas; it's beautiful. It is slightly less appealing now that they moved the orchestra into a corner and built that weird pseudo-themed Beauty and the Beast bar, though. And I'd rather stay at the Boardwalk Inn, even if the price was the same instead of cheaper.

It Is What It Is

1 Living with the Land would be better with IP (Mickey digging, Minnie planting flowers, etc)
2 Jungle Cruise needs a lot of plussing (animatronics suck compared to todays technology)
3 Disneyland is far, far superior to Magic Kingdom
4 Nothing wrong with Disney's park admission pricing and Annual Passes are an amazing deal
5 No issues if all future attractions are IP driven
6 Star Tours should not be removed and is fine if it's not in GE
7 Bob Iger is just what the parks and Disney needed (#1 Walt, #2 Iger, #3 Eisner)

Lora Baines Bradley

Prepare yourselves: The food at the parks isn’t as expensive as some people make it seem, especially if you get kids meals, and they’re usually good amounts for the price. I’ve eaten at Canteen for $25 + tip and both of us were full. Which is not bad for two adults.

mergatroid

I don't like Dole Whips.

I love Galaxy's Edge.

I love both Universal and Disney and can make both positive and negative comments on either without necessarily having to 'take sides'.

I have no idea why, but I kind of like wearing magic bands.

ryguy

Fast Pass and the dining plan. Both have made WDW worse. Don't get me wrong its great if you have a fast pass, but if you don't have one....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom