Unpopular Disney Movie Opinions

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Okay, so like many people, I'm rather bored.

My family decided to put on a movie. Toy Story 4 was the pick. I went to see it in theaters. I disliked it in theaters. I thought maybe I'd like it better the second time around, but the fact is I still can't stand this movie. It's got a 97% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes from critics and 94% from audiences, so I'm definitely in the minority.

Anyone else got unpopular Disney movie opinions?

PiratesMansion

I know Cinderella is an important movie, and that without its success the Disney company would not have survived. It is considered a classic.

However, I don't care for it and I feel like it is the princess movie with the least amount of substance. The songs are so-so, as is the animation (in comparison to all the others IMO; even Snow White uses a different style compared to most that would come later), and the mice are obnoxious. Compared to the other princess movies, there's nothing particularly interesting or distinctive about it.

Also, I've never warmed to Peter Pan; I personally can't get past the fact that Peter himself is a huge jerk (which is the point, I understand, but doesn't mean it's fun to watch). And, of course, "What makes the red man red" has aged...very poorly, to say the least.

Animaniac93-98

How people feel about Frozen today (it's overrated, I don't like it etc) is how I've always felt about Lion King.

Even when they were new I didn't like the 90s Disney movies as much as the older ones.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I never cared for a Peter Pan or Dumbo. Even as a kid I didn’t like Peter, and just couldn’t get into Dumbo at all.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I know Cinderella is an important movie, and that without its success the Disney company would not have survived. It is considered a classic.

However, I don't care for it and I feel like it is the princess movie with the least amount of substance. The songs are so-so, as is the animation (in comparison to all the others IMO; even Snow White uses a different style compared to most that would come later), and the mice are obnoxious. Compared to the other princess movies, there's nothing particularly interesting or distinctive about it.

Also, I've never warmed to Peter Pan; I personally can't get past the fact that Peter himself is a huge jerk (which is the point, I understand, but doesn't mean it's fun to watch). And, of course, "What makes the red man red" has aged...very poorly, to say the least.
I'm with you on both counts. Cinderella is my second least favorite Disney princess (Snow White is last; cannot stand her), but I'd rather watch Snow White than Cinderella, if for no other reason than the Seven Dwarfs. That is one where I much prefer the remake; I adore the remake. I haven't watched the original in years. Even as a kid, I never understood why she got her own castle and why she was front and center instead of Belle. 😂

I don't recall liking Peter Pan that much as a kid either, I think for the reasons you stated. Peter is kind of a jerk, and Pocahontas was out the year before I was born, so there was a more accurate representation of natives (not 100%). Not to mention that my family is descended from Native Americans (not enough to have a tribal affiliation, but we do know which tribe, and to look at us, especially me, you can tell we have Native blood) so we were never allowed to use the term "Indian" to describe Native Americans; it was always "Native Americans." So to hear slurs in a movie, even at a young age, never sat right with me.

Tony Perkis

That was the consensus until about 5 years ago.

No$talgia is a wonderful thing.
For some reason, for my generation (millennials in their early-to-mid 30's), that film and Space Jam are beloved. I get nostalgia shining a more positive light on certain films, but there are much better films that are worthy of that revisit.

InnKpr

The 1977 original Pete's Dragon is far superior to the 2016 remake.

The remake lacked the songs, the charm, the character, and the underlying message in the original. It was never supposed to be about a savage child growing-up in the wilderness learning etiquette and how to adapt to society again. It was about a child formerly raised by terrible people learning to trust that there are good people out there, and finding who his family truly is.

While the remake isn't necessarily a "bad" movie, the characters are forgettable, and I missed the songs & heart from the original.

Brummyboy92

The Incredibles 2, Monsters University and Finding Dory are massively overrated, yet forgetful, despite all having rave reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb. Finding Dory is the best of a bad bunch, but all three movies are average at best, and defiantly not the direction I would have taken Monsters.

Tony Perkis

The Incredibles 2, Monsters University and Finding Dory are massively overrated, yet forgetful, despite all having rave reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb. Finding Dory is the best of a bad bunch, but all three movies are average at best, and defiantly not the direction I would have taken Monsters.
People thought Monsters University was anything other than just fine?

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

6) The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Wasn't into it. I saw it once as a kid and never cared to see it again. Maybe I'll watch it as an adult sometime.
This is the one film that deserves a live action remake.

The music is great, the characters are well rounded, and it caters to adults instead of kids and the ambiguous “Family” market. [/QUOTE]

Brer Panther

I thought the consensus was that all three movies were bad. I mean, I personally liked Monsters University and Finding Dory, but I seem to be in the minority...

Robbiem

Completely agree with Toy Story 4 breaking up the gang kind of ruins the end of toy story 3 when they face their fate together in the trash yard.

i completely agree Cinderella is overrated and I think Sleeping Beauty is very underrated it is a beautiful movie to look at with a classical score to boot, its by far my favourite classic princess movie. Another movie I’ve never liked was Pinnochio but it might be because the donkey scene scared my when I was little.

Other old underrated animated movies are IMO Basil the Mouse Detective (would make a good TV series) and Robin Hood (not the best but a fun watch).

Bedknobs and Broomsticks may be trying to be Mary Poppins 2 but is fun watch which stands on its own.

Dick Tracy is a good movie, unlike modern comic adaptations it actually tries to look like a comic book come to life and is still fresh and different compared to something like the MCU (not that I dislike MCU its just different). I also like the rocketeer from the same era.

Rouge One is by far my favourite star wars movie of the Disney era. I know they weren’t made by Disney but I also like the prequel, if you watch them as a single piece they work far better as a trilogy than the original which I think is more a standalone and then a linked set of 2 IMO.

mariedarling

Inside Out

I felt it was so hyped up. When I finally watched it I was very underwhelmed. I wanted more of what the last 3-5 minutes of the movie where you saw into other people's emotions like the dad, the cat, etc... I found those minutes of the movie to be better than the entire movie itself.

PiratesMansion

People thought Monsters University was anything other than just fine?

My overriding reaction walking out of the theater after seeing that film was that at no point did the film prove that it needed to exist.

As has mostly been the case for me with all of the Disney and Pixar sequels (although I do appreciate Rescuers Down Under, which is overlooked too often; Toy Story 2 & 3 are classics, though 3 might be a just a tad overrated).

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I thought the consensus was that all three movies were bad. I mean, I personally liked Monsters University and Finding Dory, but I seem to be in the minority...
Here's an unpopular opinion: Finding Dory > Finding Nemo. The theme of Finding Dory is probably one of the best things Pixar has done outside of the late 2000 combo of Up and Wall-E.

SteamboatJoe

I like The Lone Ranger film. Yes, it's a little too long and Depp playing a white-face Native American was probably not a great idea, but I thought it was a fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom