Unofficial Guide 2014

bsiev1977

Original Poster
Amazon is now listing August 20 as the date the 2014 UG will be available.

Birnbaums is out on September 24.

I preordered it the other day.
Yesterday got a message from Amazon saying it was shipping earlier than expected, and I should expect it delivered on August 7.

Upvote 0

Skippy's Pal

Will be interesting to see how Len and crew deal with FP+ and all the related agita, given how much is still unknown, unreleased, or still testing.

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Original Poster
Just now got the 2014 UG in the mail.
I'll quickly highlight a couple points, and you all can ask about other things if you'd care to.
-There are about two pages discussing FP+, but a lot of it is speculation about how the system MAY work.
-BOG gets 4 stars.
-From what I've seen so far, the reader comments seem to be the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Just now got the 2914 UG in the mail.
I'll quickly highlight a couple points, and you all can ask about other things if you'd care to.
-There are about two pages discussing FP+, but a lot of it is speculation about how the system MAY work.
-BOG gets 4 stars.
-From what I've seen so far, the reader comments seem to be the same.

Should it be considered prophetic that you somehow managed to get a copy of the 2914 UG, and that they still don't have FP+ figured out 90 years in the future?

@lentesta has been doing some podcasts comparing the recent reviews to the historical reviews and how they are pretty much the same across the board 5+ years later. Some small shifts in either direction, but by and large they seemed to be awfully similar. If that is the case, not too surprised if alot of the commentary stayed the same as well.

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Original Poster
Should it be considered prophetic that you somehow managed to get a copy of the 2914 UG, and that they still don't have FP+ figured out 90 years in the future?

@lentesta has been doing some podcasts comparing the recent reviews to the historical reviews and how they are pretty much the same across the board 5+ years later. Some small shifts in either direction, but by and large they seemed to be awfully similar. If that is the case, not too surprised if alot of the commentary stayed the same as well.
Fixed it. But, 2914 would be 900 years in the future, not 90.:p

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Thanks for reading the book @bsiev1977 !

I'm comfortable with what we've got in there for FP+. The big things are that you'll need to make reservations 60 days in advance, that it's once per ride per day, and that some of the rides are better uses than others. Also, the touring plans contain specific FP+ return times and priorities. That lets guests know when to request FP+, and which attractions are the most important.

Our blog has a decent list of what else has changed in this edition.

For what it's worth, I'd put the odds at higher than 50% that Disney starts giving onsite guests more FP+ perks than off-site, sometime in 2014. Whether that's attraction selection, the ability to make more than 3 or 4 reservations, or something else, we'll see.

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Original Poster
Thanks for reading the book @bsiev1977 !

I'm comfortable with what we've got in there for FP+. The big things are that you'll need to make reservations 60 days in advance, that it's once per ride per day, and that some of the rides are better uses than others. Also, the touring plans contain specific FP+ return times and priorities. That lets guests know when to request FP+, and which attractions are the most important.

Our blog has a decent list of what else has changed in this edition.

For what it's worth, I'd put the odds at higher than 50% that Disney starts giving onsite guests more FP+ perks than off-site, sometime in 2014. Whether that's attraction selection, the ability to make more than 3 or 4 reservations, or something else, we'll see.
Fair enough. I'm going in early December, so whether or not the + will factor in is up in the air right now.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Also @bsiev1977 - check out the re-review of Tutto Gusto in the dining chapter and the review of Les Halles. In "Arriving and Getting Around" is a (I think) funny paragraph on Fox Rent A Car. Part 2 (Time and Money) contains a good comment on ticket prices from @ParentsOf4, and an overview of MagicBands and RFID technology. Bob and I submitted almost 300 pages of changes to the book.

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Original Poster
Also @bsiev1977 - check out the re-review of Tutto Gusto in the dining chapter and the review of Les Halles. In "Arriving and Getting Around" is a (I think) funny paragraph on Fox Rent A Car. Part 2 (Time and Money) contains a good comment on ticket prices from @ParentsOf4, and an overview of MagicBands and RFID technology. Bob and I submitted almost 300 pages of changes to the book.
I'll be going through the book more thoroughly, I just skimmed a bit this afternoon.

I'm hearing the full-scale roll-out may be pushed to March.
I'm fine with that. I'm perfectly comfortable with the current system. That, and your touring plans will get me through my week just fine.

Upvote 0

jkl2000

After using the 2013 guide as my constant companion for the last couple of months, I received the 2014 guide a few days ago (why keep re-reading the same old pages? :) )

I think people here will be REALLY interested in a somewhat lengthy section that was added about their investigations into noise levels in the resort rooms, and about the quality/age of the mattresses and pillows in the resorts. It's a fun section to read, and interesting to all WDW obsessives. Not a whole chapter, but a few pages.

I was reading the Fastpass+ section last night and just hoping it isn't fully rolled out before my visit in late October. I wouldn't mind testing it, but only if paper Fastpasses are still available.

Right now my trip is 52 days out, no Mickey mail or email about passes of any kind...

Upvote 0

luv

I love getting the UG. Always like the new stuff.

I also find the typos and then compare them to the next one, lol. I just started and I've found them on pages 30, 35, 40 (I think) and 46. :) They should send it to me before the printer, lol.

Upvote 0

dancingelkhound

This week was supposed to be the UK release, but now Amazon is saying 1-3 weeks for delivery. Maybe I'll have to go and buy one from a bookshop to make sure I get it before my October holiday :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom