Unnoticed Space Ship Earth detail - Pentagon

Gorjus

Original Poster
I'm sure some people realize this, but there are 10 perfect pentagons on SpaceShip Earth. Some are upside down, some are right side up. Here is a photo, with the pentagon outlined, of one of them.

SSE%20Pentagon.jpg

On your next visit, see if you can find the other 9.

Here is a clue for one of them:

From the entrance, walk up to the mirrored pillar at the base of SSE. Where the mirrored pillar and the geosphere meet is the bottom of the upside down pentagon, just like the one pictured above.

Just a fun thing, like hidden mickeys, to look for if you are a WDW veteran. BTW, introduce yourself to the CM. You might find a CM who is on this board.

EPCOT.nut

I read that as "pentagram" - :lookaroun - I don't know why...:lol:...

Now I have one more reason to head over to EPCOT and stand around SSE....one of my favorite places in the park!

MissM

I read that as "pentagram" - :lookaroun - I don't know why...:lol:...
"Pentagram" isn't a dirty word or anything. It's just a five-pointed star:
a five-pointed, star-shaped figure made by extending the sides of a regular pentagon until they meet

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Interesting. I'm sure there is a geometric explanation for why the pentagonal sections are necessary. I wonder what it is.

Tinkrbell

Interesting. I'm sure there is a geometric explanation for why the pentagonal sections are necessary. I wonder what it is.
The need for the pentagonal sections has to do with the angles at which the hexagonal sections (6 sides) form when they meet. I know the exact reasoning behind it, but its long & confusing with the different formulas that are used to figure it out exactly. (yes, im a math major)

brkgnews

I'd noticed there were areas in which the larger panels joined together at funky angles (in order to make the sphere into a... well... sphere). But I had never really paid attention to the pentagons. Neat.

EPCOT.nut

a five-pointed, star-shaped figure made by extending the sides of a regular pentagon until they meet

Yeah, I know...that would be P**tagram.

:lol:

:lookaroun

Figment82

My mom loves looking for the pentagons every time she visits Epcot - she's gotten me sucked in too. :)

I made my own paper SSE, following the instructions above, and it came out pretty well. I started a thread about it with photos back in late September last year, I don't know if it's still around.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
add a circle and we have a whole new meaning... it is so versatile. gotta love geometry, and devil worshipers. ;) (not implying that the crue is anymore or was)

record motley crue shout at the devil.jpg

to the OP: neat stuff. i bet if you stared at it long enough, you could see a lot of stuff, much like one of those posters. :lol:

EPCOT.nut

add a circle and we have a whole new meaning... it is so versatile. gotta love geometry, and devil worshipers. ;) (not implying that the crue is anymore or was)

That's it - forget Tomorrow's Child - I'm singing Shout at the Devil during the descent of SSE from now on.

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom