Trip Report Unlocking the Magic: Holiday Trip 2017

Nala06

Original Poster
I apologize in advance for lack of pictures. We had full intentions of taking a lot of pictures (my DH brought his DSLR). But it was all hands on deck with a toddler, and picture taking fell by the wayside!

krisri18

Kona Dinner

Shortly after getting our pager we were seated. We weren’t on the dining plan for this trip, it just doesn’t fit the way we eat. What I did was estimate our food budget, and between credit card rewards dollars, ibotta rebates and target red card, I bought enough disney gift cards to cover our food. It was kind of like having our own dining plan and it worked great!. Since N was under three we planned on him sharing most of our meals and an added side for him of rice/fruit/veggies, with occasionally ordering something specifically for him. He is a big eater, and not very picky usually, so it works out well. Our food arrived shortly, and we were eager to dig in after eating light all day. My dad and I got the pork duo (which I just checked and doesn’t appear to be on the menu anymore??), my mom got a chicken stir fry, DH got a soup with fish? (again not on the menu currently), and N got…a plate of fries. :cautious: Not my proudest parenting moment, but he shared my dinner as well and he really really wanted them. And hey, its vacation! We eat very mindfully at home, so it’s nice to splurge a little. I may have snuck a few too, but don’t tell anyone. :angelic:

Right after getting our first few bites in, I look over at N, and he is hovering in his chair, refusing to let his bottom touch. Any parent of a young child knows what that means…time for a diaper change. Not a problem! Except, I forgot to bring any diapers with me to dinner! :banghead: I blame jet lag…even though we left the eastern time zone and arrived in the same eastern time zone. So I had no choice but to run back to the room, grab some supplies, run back, then change him. Thank goodness we were eating at the resort we were staying at! Okay…let’s try this again. Now it’s time to eat! Dinner was excellent, the pork belly was melt in your mouth, and I believe mine came with some corn pudding or something? Whatever it was, I remember it being delicious. Everyone cleaned their plates.

I could barely contain my excitement because I had a surprise in store for DH birthday. I had special ordered a custom cake from the Grand Floridian bakery, and they were about to bring it out! DH had no idea that he was getting a cake. But we couldn’t be in WDW on his birthday and not celebrate! So the waiter brought out the cake and called the attention of the restaurant to our table, announcing “Today is someone’s 30th birthday!” To which people around clapped and cheered, and an older lady at a table next to us shouts “I have sweaters older than you!” :joyfull:

Everyone sang happy birthday to DH, and I’m not going to lie, I could barely sing along because I was starting to tear up. It was just such a neat experience, and to see my DH so happy and surprised was awesome.

View attachment 266078

The cake was amazing. I had them design it after DH’s favorite character (who N fondly calls Buzz Light Beer). It was vanilla cake with cookies and cream frosting. We ate it every night for 3 nights after N went to bed, and don't regret a single bite.
That cake is adorable! Love it!
Hehe, Buzz Light Beer. Kids say the darndest things. Lol

ScarletBegonias

I'm in!!! The poly is gorgeous! We went to Ohana for breakfast on our last trip and I did not want to leave!!!

Look at him looking at Minnie! How sweet!

Nala06

Original Poster
I'm in!!! The poly is gorgeous! We went to Ohana for breakfast on our last trip and I did not want to leave!!!

Look at him looking at Minnie! How sweet!
Even if we aren't staying at the Poly, we always find our way there whenever we are in the Orlando area!

Rista1313

Great Trip report so far... you seem to have plenty of pictures.. so no worries!

When you said you weren't taking a stroller, I thought.. ut oh!

Nala06

Original Poster
Apologies for the long delay...life got busy, computer had to get repaired...yada yada. While getting my hard drive backed up at Apple the other week (which took 3 HOURS!) the tech guy said "don't worry, we will save your Disney pictures!" That man knows priorities :D
Now, back to it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom