Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm right off the Island in Bluffton. Technically I'm in unincorporated Beaufort County. Yes my area is night/day from west of I-95. In general the coast is like that so is up by Charlotte. Wages and housing costs work out about right west of I-95. They don't make as much money but housing is way way cheaper. In fact there are buses that run from HHI out past I-95 and workers bus in from the poorer places. Basically they make more on HHI and living for much less where they live so it's worth it to them to ride the buses. We also get many people who commute in from Georgia to here for the same reason. Our main housing problem is we have nothing old. Apartments, houses, commercial buildings most which have been built in the last 20-30 years. Right now there is a building frenzy going on. I was out on some land a while ago that was 10-20 thousand acres of trees and someone built probably 10-12 apartment builds maybe 500 apartments? There are now roads going into no where but there must be a plan since a real road is now there. It's not cheap to build roads with sewer lines, water etc. if you have no purpose of using them. I'm sure people in Orlando saw the same thing back in the 70's?

We do have a sizable tourist industry, last I saw Hilton Head gets about 2 million tourist a year. I can tell you everyone on the island is short staffed. In the past businesses like hotels have actually gone out and bought up condos for employees, it was part of your pay, you didn't pay rent. We're at that point again even off the island. We also have a good size retiree population which I don't like. Retirees don't add much to the community because they are from where ever they came from and don't do much but require low paying service people. They need restaurants, lawn services, maids etc. etc. They all think they are invaluable to the community but they aren't. They all have big plans but few follow through on anything of use.

What I don't understand is why Orlando doesn't simple run out of low wage earning people like we have? Does no one think this place sucks I need to move somewhere else? The only obstacle with here is rent. $1600 will get you a two bedroom apartment. The other side of that is a couple could make enough in a year or two to buy a home and have a mortgage of $1600 or less. You would be surprised at what some of these jobs here pay. You got to hussle though. I can tell you the dentists around here can't find dental hygienist and the going pay for that is $35 give or take. That's 70 grand a year and if you throw in a part time job on top especially a tipped job and you can pull in $100K a year.

I can’t dispute anything you say...and a lot applies to Orlando.

Why doesn’t Orlando run out of minimum workers??

Well...a lot of it is the existence of WDW. There’s an allure there that retains people a bit longer (along with all the other whiz bang stuff in town). Though they have retirees...that’s not a central Florida thing as much as the coasts...so that problem isn’t as heightened.

The WDW college program is a bait and switch that gets young post grads to take leaps and move back. It’s rarely ends well but there is a constant Pipeline of higher income background types that will try to get paid to live on vacation. The wheel is never broken.

And Florida has a more natural transient worker population willing to work in tourist spots for low pay.

It’s a mixture of things...even the weather. Your body tells you love it because it’s always nice...but your bank account is miserable 😉

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know about that. Disney's building a pretty massive expansion of their CP housing.

Let’s see...do I say it??

Sure...

There is no limit. If you offer 19-23 year olds the opportunity to go for 3-12 months and party (literally) every day in a place that was known as “Vista Lay”...and mom’s and dads typically subsidized it.

And we were “scared” of things back then.
And that was before the internet and wild ideas...I can only imagine what it is now 😳

There is no bottom to that entitled well. You’d dig to China first

(Too real?)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought that was with the intention of replacing some of the existing housing. Vista Layyy being the first to go.

I have a feeling...
I'm pretty sure that's the plan too, but they're building more housing than all 4 of the existing complexes combined. 2 of the complexes are probably going, but I strongly suspect they'll be keeping the 2 newer ones.
...yep! I figured something like this before I bothered to look it up.
Thanks for the research 😉

celluloid

Let’s see...do I say it??

Sure...

There is no limit. If you offer 19-23 year olds the opportunity to go for 3-12 months and party (literally) every day in a place that was known as “Vista Lay”...and mom’s and dads typically subsidized it.

And we were “scared” of things back then.
And that was before the internet and wild ideas...I can only imagine what it is now 😳

There is no bottom to that entitled well. You’d dig to China first

(Too real?)

Worse now because you have "alumni programs" where you can be far older than the 23 year old dynamic and not even a college student anymore. It is just Disney poverty housing.

imperius

When does everyone think construction will officially begin on this project?

Looking over on another Universal site, and they say it could be years away as Comcast's theme park priorities and funds is geared towards opening up Universal Beijing over the next few years.

That means we are potentially looking at something still over 5-6 years away.
Nah. Most are saying 2023 completion if I’m not mistaken.

lazyboy97o

Looking over on another Universal site, and they say it could be years away as Comcast's theme park priorities and funds is geared towards opening up Universal Beijing over the next few years.

What do you define as construction? Vertical construction? Site work is already underway.

Quinnmac000

Also Universal only paying 2.35 billion for Beijing park while the Beijing Government owned company is paying the other 5 billion for phase 1. Isn't not a huge massive hit on their funding.

JoeCamel

I will pass by the site in a few days, and will try to take a few pics.

Hopefully we see some major work on the ground. It's been a few years now since this was mooted.
Take a ride on the wheel if you want good perspective, or a plane.
In the last year they have raised the elevation of the whole land significantly and moved a couple of lakes. The office/warehouse space along Sand Lake is leveled and ready for construction

I’m hoping we will see a few surprises at universal Orlando’s fourth park. I understand back to the future is getting a musical most of you think it won’t be in the new park but the popularity of this franchise continues on. A deloreon movie is coming out this summer with Alec Baldwin playing John Deloreon it would just be cool seeing a hill valley section at the new park with a e-ticket attraction maybe the BTTF launched coaster concept. This is an old Universal IP but it has seemed to live on for years and years. Personally I think this would attract as much visitors to the new park more than or about the same as Nintendo and Fantastic Beasts even How to train your dragon. Back to the future even came out on top in a poll of what movies you would like to see remade. Doc Brown and Co. will never go away but you think the theme park stuff is over and done with. I certainly hope not. Jaws, Earthquake, Ghosbusters, Twister, Terminator are all gone too. King Kong is back and he is still present with Kong:Skull Island coming out in 2017 from WB and Kong vs Godzilla coming out in 2020. Legendary has the rights to Kong not Godzilla so his future presence at Fantastic Worlds could still very well be possible. Universal owns him still.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom