Universal's Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex)

Rich Brownn

Everything is hypothetical at this point, but ComcastUni will want to wait until tourism is roaring back before opening a new park so they could maximize the hype and revenue. People need to have vacation money and feel comfortable about spending it. It will take a long time to hit those benchmarks, and until then, the existing parks will need something to draw people back.

For reference, Disney's current system is accepting reservations until September 2021. If everything goes according to plan and the pandemic ends around that time, things will be just starting to recover.

I doubt Comcast will greenligiht construction as soon as they have a positive quarter. They will want to see a year of growth or more before feeling comfortable pulling the trigger. So now you're looking at a potential opening date in 2025 or 2026. The two parks can't sit idle without new attractions for four years (Velocicoaster has next year covered).

Lastly, my understanding is Nintendo's contract stipulates their attractions must be built within a certain timeframe. Under those circumstances, Mario would have to move into one of the two existing parks.
There's also the issue of trying to guess when its the best time years in advance. If the economy roars back in 2022, and the park won't be done until 2026 that gives competition a leg up. The trick, as they say, is aiming for where the puck will be.

The Real Buzz Lightyear

In the Parks
No
From what I understand, the alternative is Nintendo goes into USO and replaces KidZone, as was previously the plan.
This what I've been hearing on the Universal Forums. Especially since Fievel and Curious George are "temporarily" closed. Plus Barney just closed as well. There's talk that in winter of this year the whole area might close down and get demolished. Universal may hope to have Nintendo built by 2022. Plus there's talk Lost Continent may get replaced by How to Train your Dragon if EU completely changes it's land lineup.

lazyboy97o

You cannot just take architecture and engineering drawings from one place and use them in another, especially when you are crossing jurisdictions. The Florida Building Code also changes the first of the year, meaning even more work (money) would be involved in trying to quickly move the project to another park before having to engage a complete review of the project. If Epic Universe does get cancelled there is almost no chance that Universal is going to spend extra money to more quickly move a bunch of projects to the North Campus before 2025.

The Real Buzz Lightyear

In the Parks
No
You cannot just take architecture and engineering drawings from one place and use them in another, especially when you are crossing jurisdictions. The Florida Building Code also changes the first of the year, meaning even more work (money) would be involved in trying to quickly move the project to another park before having to engage a complete review of the project. If Epic Universe does get cancelled there is almost no chance that Universal is going to spend extra money to more quickly move a bunch of projects to the North Campus before 2025.
Nintendo and Dragons were made as plans to replace Kids zone and Lost Continent and then they were shipped over to EU. They can easily add them back to Studios and Islands if they want to.

lazyboy97o

Nintendo and Dragons were made as plans to replace Kids zone and Lost Continent and then they were shipped over to EU. They can easily add them back to Studios and Islands if they want to.
Only Super Nintendo World was ever developed for the north campus. Legend of Zelda, not How to Train Your Dragon, was developed for Lost Continent until focus shifted to Epic Universe. Even then, the whole point of my post is that there is nothing easy about moving a project.

JoeCamel

Only Super Nintendo World was ever developed for the north campus. Legend of Zelda, not How to Train Your Dragon, was developed for Lost Continent until focus shifted to Epic Universe. Even then, the whole point of my post is that there is nothing easy about moving a project.
So you're saying "there's a chance"? ;) :joyfull: 🤣

Jon81uk

And even then, the plans were completely different at that point. Simply moving the planned EU land to Kidzone may not even be possible, much less easy.

But they may have at least basic plans for fitting Nintendo into the Kidzone area as planned a while back, wouldn't be hard to dust of those plans and go back to them.

lazyboy97o

But they may have at least basic plans for fitting Nintendo into the Kidzone area as planned a while back, wouldn't be hard to dust of those plans and go back to them.
The gap between “basic plans” and usable construction documents is the entire design process.

Disneyhead'71

And even then, the plans were completely different at that point. Simply moving the planned EU land to Kidzone may not even be possible, much less easy.
Actually, the original USF plan, the USJ plan, and the EU plans are pretty much carbon copies. Hollywood is different. It doesn't have the Yoshi Omnimover attraction nor Donkey Kong. And we have no clue what USS is getting.

Keep in mind that the actual USF plans were different than the leaked KidZone plan that included Zelda and flat rides. Those plans (below) were drawn up as a "proof of concept" for the pitch to Nintendo.

These were the actual plans as per permits filed with the county (below).

Here is EU's plan (below). I flipped it upside down to make it easier to see the similarities. The only difference is the warp pipe entrance.

But the bottom line is they already have permitted plans for USF. All they would have to do is dust those off and go.

Credit: The permit pics thanks to Orlando Parkstop.

Last edited:

The Real Buzz Lightyear

In the Parks
No
Are you sure on the Universal Forums I heard Dragons was developed originally for Lost Continent. I know Zelda was drawn up as well, same with Pokemon for kidszone.

Tom Morrow

You’re like the Magenta Panther with Shrek.
I didn’t mind the films, but they are very much rooted in, and a product of the early 2000’s. They were the first animated cgi films to do the whole “we’re not taking this seriously but actually we are a little” approach that would go on to spawn infinite copycats from everyone but Pixar. The first to have that same “edgy”, sarcastic, raised eyebrow tone. When you watch them now, it shows.

Shrek 4D is the worst operating attraction in Orlando. It’s abysmal and an embarrassment.

Top Bottom