Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Mike730

Satellite imagery from yesterday. There is some cloud cover. This is the best image quality I can get for free.
EpicUniverseSat2020-11-29.PNG

seascape

The project has not been abandoned. Although I do expect some changes and an extended timeline.
I honestly think Comcast needs to announce their plans on the next conference call. If my views in Disney's Direct to Consumer and International Division are correct, Disney's finances are much better than most people think. You need to really dig into their numbers to see the only reason the Studios were profitable was the streaming services and the money they gave the studios almost covered the Divisions loss. Having a full quarter of the 73.7 million subscribers plus their growth from Asia and Latin America clears show streaming is not only profitable but about to become extremely profitable. That will free up money for capital investments everywhere within the company. Then add in the vaccine and the return to profitability of the Parks and movies in 2021 and Disney will blow away 2019 numbers in 2022.

JT3000

I honestly think Comcast needs to announce their plans on the next conference call. If my views in Disney's Direct to Consumer and International Division are correct, Disney's finances are much better than most people think. You need to really dig into their numbers to see the only reason the Studios were profitable was the streaming services and the money they gave the studios almost covered the Divisions loss. Having a full quarter of the 73.7 million subscribers plus their growth from Asia and Latin America clears show streaming is not only profitable but about to become extremely profitable. That will free up money for capital investments everywhere within the company. Then add in the vaccine and the return to profitability of the Parks and movies in 2021 and Disney will blow away 2019 numbers in 2022.
... what does any of this have to do with Comcast or Universal? And I wouldn't be so certain of a quick economical recovery. Especially when the California parks remain closed.

seascape

... what does any of this have to do with Comcast or Universal? And I wouldn't be so certain of a quick economical recovery. Especially when the California parks remain closed.
It has to do with the fact that if Comcast doesn't build Epic Universe soon, they have to build Nintendo in one of the two current parks in Orlando and that will delay Epic Universe longer. It also will not help profitability because it's another royalty payment coming from the two parks. I know most people here don't care about profits but that is where the money for investments come from.

JT3000

It has to do with the fact that if Comcast doesn't build Epic Universe soon, they have to build Nintendo in one of the two current parks in Orlando and that will delay Epic Universe longer. It also will not help profitability because it's another royalty payment coming from the two parks. I know most people here don't care about profits but that is where the money for investments come from.
Worrying about measly royalty payments for a Nintendo land, of all things, is beyond laughable. Don't worry, it will be profitable. My crystal ball told me so.

seascape

The Nintendo cash train pulls into Universal Parks and Resorts station on Feb.4th.
It's opening in Japan but Universal is still paying for the worldwide rights and almost finished land in California cost hundreds of millions to build and won't have any revenues until late 2021.

The contract Univeral signed for worldwide rights was not for pennies. Nintendo was not in the position Marvel was in and they didn't need Universal because they could have negotiated with separate themepark operators around the world and will be making a very nice profit from Universal. Believe me Nintendo is a smart well run company and would never make a deal that was not on their interest not going to make them millions.

Disneyhead'71

It's opening in Japan but Universal is still paying for the worldwide rights and almost finished land in California cost hundreds of millions to build and won't have any revenues until late 2021.

The contract Univeral signed for worldwide rights was not for pennies. Nintendo was not in the position Marvel was in and they didn't need Universal because they could have negotiated with separate themepark operators around the world and will be making a very nice profit from Universal. Believe me Nintendo is a smart well run company and would never make a deal that was not on their interest not going to make them millions.
For property like these, the cost of the rights are fairly low. Not insignificant, but surprisingly low. The real cash is in the merchandising and Food and Beverage deals. No one has actually seen the Nintendo deal yet, but I bet they went for a larger slice of the merchandizing revenue as opposed to a larger flat fee for the rights.

doctornick

Right. Comcast’s core business is cable/internet supply which was not ravished by the pandemic as much as all of Disney’s divisions were.

That said, if Nintendo goes into Studios as expected, I’m curious as to what will end up happening with EU.

I also wonder if ET will survive.

JT3000

Right. Comcast’s core business is cable/internet supply which was not ravished by the pandemic as much as all of Disney’s divisions were.

That said, if Nintendo goes into Studios as expected, I’m curious as to what will end up happening with EU.

I also wonder if ET will survive.
EU will likely be delayed until they find a replacement plan for that section of the park, although that could happen regardless due to the economic situation, so it wouldn't necessarily be that big of a burden. At this point, I think they need to do whatever is necessary to get Nintendo construction underway. Otherwise it will be opening many years after the other two.

It was originally rumored that E.T. would be spared if Nintendo went into KidZone, but I don't know if that would remain true. I feel like they would possibly need to tear down the parade buildings and use some of that space in the back if they want to squeeze in Nintendo without closing E.T.

doctornick

I'd anticipate a substitute for a different Nintendo property (Pokemon).

Probably the park will have some more sweeping changes though.
I was kind of thinking Zelda but could see Pokémon.

Whatever happened to rumors of Uni get rights to Star Trek and/or Lord of the Rings?

lazyboy97o

I wouldn't expect the park to change too much unless the park is delayed for more than a year. Universal already filed for building permits and those can be extended. It doesn't really make sense to start throwing away so much work.

As for Nintendo, it is really hard to believe there is no force majeure clause that allows for an extension.

BrianLo

I wouldn't expect the park to change too much unless the park is delayed for more than a year. Universal already filed for building permits and those can be extended. It doesn't really make sense to start throwing away so much work.

As for Nintendo, it is really hard to believe there is no force majeure clause that allows for an extension.

I'm kind of was surmising it is going to be longer than a year. Of course if they can keep Mario in the park it makes sense to stick to that plan (but it leaves them with quite a stretch of very little new), but I fear once they start cutting it up for parts they won't stop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom