Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

The_Jobu

The entire comic book industry is facing an existential crisis at the moment. Comic shops which make up the direct market are mostly shuttered and many will not survive. DC and Marvel can't take new comics to the printer so everything is shut down. I have heard speculation that Disney will decide to shut Marvel down and license the characters to other publishers like they do with Disney characters. Not sure I buy into that, but the industry will be changed by this for sure.

Even before that, Marvel was struggling. Last year I got a subscription to Marvel Unlimited which I enjoyed and I highly recommend to anyone interested in digital comics. I spent most of the year catching up on the last several years of Marvel and it was really hard to navigate. They rebooted their line about every 18 months. One event lead into another and they kept disrupting ongoing storylines. Just a real mess.

When my subscription ran out I was just getting to Marvel: Legacy which was definitely an effort to recreate the success of DC Rebirth. It seemed to be off to a good start. At some point in the future I plan to get another year-long subscription and catch up again

Absolutely. I wont get into it here, but the comics division needs to be cleaned out from head to toe and re-staffed with competent people. The staff and talent are so antagonistic and anti-consumer, it would make an amazing history book one day, its really crazy how it got to this point.

Anyhoo, I think the Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent are very well themed. True, there's no emotional attachment to the IP, but with a whole new gate under construction, I just cant see Universal investing the time and money into a complete redo.

lebeau

Marvel Zombies.

For sure. Although Islands of Fear was in 2002 and Marvel Zombies didn't come out until a few years after that. But it would make for a bangin' house if they ever did it.

Here's what I was able to find about the one-and-only HHN incorporated Marvel IP*:

"He has come for you"
"You've taken a wrong turn somehow. You're lost in a strange place. The darkness thickens as an eerie mist surrounds you. There's a light up ahead - the beacon from a lighthouse. Your step quickens as a sense of relief washes over you. As long as you can reach the lighthouse, you know you'll be safe.
The mist clears and you realize there will be no safe port for you tonight: you will be pursued by science gone astray, tortured by ancient demons, tormented by cartoonish freaks, run through a city gone bad, and welcomed into a house that you may never escape alive from.
You have stumbled into Islands of Fear."

Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear was the 12th annual Halloween Horror Nights event in Orlando. Located for the first time in the new theme park, Islands of Adventure, it was advertised with the words "Your Time Has Come". Hosted by The Caretaker, Albert Caine, the event revolved around his followers and imaginations. The event featured five haunted houses, six scarezones, three shows, and a special dance party area, and ran for 21 days from October 4 to November 2, 2002. A documentary that aired on the Travel Channel was filmed during the event, which allowed cameras to film the houses and gave other background information.
Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear was documented in the Travel Channel special The Art of the Scare, produced by Lightship Entertainment. It documented the houses, special effects, and the overall feel of the event.

The Caretaker was not the original icon for Halloween Horror Nights: Islands of Fear. Cindy, the demented little daughter of mortuary owner Paul Bearer, was originally the icon of the event. In the event's premise, every land would be ruled over by her "playthings" - Spider-Man's nemesis Carnage, Nightmare, the Treaks and Foons, and The Grinch. Unfortunately, after a string of child abductions in the area, Cindy was abandoned and her father Paul Bearer morphed into Albert Caine. Cindy would later be introduced as The Caretaker's daughter and appeared with her father in the Shadows from the Past scarezone at Halloween Horror Nights: Ripped from the Silver Screen. Caine was portrayed by actor Bryce Ward for publicity and television appearances, and an elaborate Opening Scare-a-monies which featured a victim being tortured by snakes and scorpions before being gutted.

"Take a terrifying journey through your own worst fears as the Caretaker transforms Islands of Adventure into one disturbing, horrifying nightmare after another."

In 2002, the event was moved from the Universal Studios park to its adjacent sister park, Islands of Adventure. The year's houses revolved around the imaginations of Dr. Albert Caine, also known as The Caretaker. Dr. Caine would lure his victims to his Victorian Manor to operate on them and find their soul.

Haunted Houses
  • Maximum Carnage (Carnage Warehouse): Venture into the labyrinth-like secret hideout of the malevolent Carnage, an insane criminal with incredible alien powers, who's bent on mindless destruction.
  • Scary Tales II (Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges Queue): Step into the pages of the grimmest fairy tales ever told, where nobody lives happily ever after… In fact, nobody lives.
  • Fear Factor (Thunderfalls Terrace): Imagine a place where your greatest fears become reality. Feel your way through absolute darkness in room crawling with insects, snakes, spiders, worms, rats and more.
  • Project Evilution (Triceratops Discovery Trail): Deep within the jungle, top secret genetic experiments have gone horribly wrong, creating hideous mutants half human, half dinosaur... and all evil.
  • Screamhouse (Soundstage 20): There's something disturbing about this small town mortuary. The bodies just don't want to stay dead - and they don't want YOU to leave!
Scarezones
  • Port of Evil (Port of Entry): Enter an eerie, mist-shrouded port city where unseen creatures and unspeakable horrors lurk around every corner.
  • Island Under Siege (Marvel Super Hero Island): The super heroes have all been defeated. Now you're trapped on a decaying, lawless island under siege by the minions of the most vicious super villain of all, Carnage.
  • Treaks and Foons (Toon Lagoon): "The joke's on you as you cross a weird, maddening landscape populated by disturbing, cartoonish freaks whose idea of fun is scaring you silly."
  • JP Extinction (Jurassic Park): The power is out. The gates are down. Packs of carnivorous dinosaurs are loose in the park...and there's something very strange, very deadly stalking you as well!
  • Island of Evil Souls (Lost Continent): The imposing figure of Nightmare blocks your entry to this hellish netherworld of ancient demons and fiery torments. Do you dare to pass?
  • Boo-Ville (Seuss Landing): All the Whos are behind locked doors. As darkness falls, the mischievous spirit of Halloween descends upon the deserted streets. Does it bring treats...or tricks?
Shows
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure (Toon Lagoon Amphitheater): Party on as those two time traveling dudes are back in a most excellent new adventure featuring your favorite TV and movie characters.
  • Fountain of Evil (Lost Continent): The spirit in this fountain won't grant your wish... especially if your wish is to escape unscathed.
  • Studio 666 (Lost Continent): Gather all your friends and dance the night away as the hottest nightspot in the land of dead comes alive with pulse-pounding, high energy music.
  • Town Square of Tortured Souls (Port of Entry): Hide your eyes and cover your ears as the shrieking victims of electric chairs, iron maidens, and other torture devices set the mood for what's to come...
latest

Trip Report:

Arriving at the park at around 2, I found there many signs indicating the event was sold out. So, I was fully expecting massive crowds, especially after reading last weeks reports. Upon entering the park, I noticed it was a very slow day and Hulk was a walk-on. After a couple rides on it, we headed over to meet Ken and Darren from the coaster club at Enchanted Oak. Discussing strategy for the night, we decided to focus on mainly the houses and skip the first Bill & Ted which the rest of the club had planned on doing. We decided to ride a couple things in the vicinity of Burger Digs (where the annual passholder stay-and-scream would be held). They decided to use both Enchanted Oak and Burger Digs for a passholder area because last week had proved Burger Digs too small to hold everyone. We got in Burger Digs at around 5, once the day guests had cleared out, and met with the rest of the club. It seemed no one wanted to go with our strategy, so we had a small group for the night. At around 5:40 they let the passholders roam from the Fear Factor maze to Dueling Dragons, all of which in between was open. Deciding to get the jump on the mazes, we headed towards Fear Factor through misted streets that did not yet have actors inhabiting them.

We arrived at Fear Factor with it being a complete walk-on. The line ran right along the backlot between JP and TL which contained a visible Dudley hat behind the fence for the line. Straight ahead was a large screen which we later discovered played Fear Factor segments, but as of then was blank. Over the loud speaker they played Weird Als song Eat It. After the short walk, we entered the house. This maze was a not so pitch-black version of last years Pitch Black. There was a green light in the beginning that would flash on and off didnt really get the point of that. It was light enough to see the actors pop out of the transition segments between your stunts which sometimes gave a good scare. The stunts themselves were not bad. There was a spider room with very thin dangling strings which worked in making it feel as if you walking through actual spider webs. There were dimly lit boxes that had spiders and bugs in them. One bizarre room had dangling stuffed fish with a nasty smell. Others included a room with rubber snakes, dangling bugs with a sticky fluid on them, powerful air blasts, tight spaces, a great collapsing bridge effect, the rubber rat room, and the sticky intestine room. I heard a lot of bad things coming from this maze before I went into this one, but I liked it a lot.

By the time we exited, they had opened up through Island Under Siege to us. So we made our way to Treaks and Foons, but Scary Tales 2 had not yet opened. We decided to take a brief stop and play in the foam and then push through to Island Under Siege. The foam was stacked high (as high as some of the stores!) when we hit it. It was undisturbed since there were relatively no guests besides us in this island and the actors had not yet come out to play. Blindly wandering out and covered in foam, we shook some of the excess suds off and continued to IUS (Island Under Siege) which also had yet to be inhabited by actors.

We arrived at Maximum Carnage and were the only ones there at the time. The outside was very high energy. It had the best house façade I have seen with loud music and fire bursting up every so many seconds. I could tell this would be like a Run 2, but better, much better. It had a lot of scaffolding in the beginning which led to a very bright area with fences and super hero shooting targets. I could tell there were more paths to make it a maze, but they led you down the correct path in order to reduce lines. Here, various creatures that look like Carnage may walk the halls. Going forward, you walk into a swirling barrel with green lights poking through. The tunnel is relatively long and is disorienting, a favorite effect of the maze. You then walk into the brightest strobe section youve ever experienced. The walls were reflective silver and the strobes did not cease. In plain view about midway through this section was a man in a gas mask. From here, it was a series allies with toxic drums and electrical equipment with super heroes hanging from above. The drums created for some very good nooks for the actors to hide in. One note in this area: from a platform above, Scream lashed out with streamers to you below and emitted an air blast. Towards the end, the old Fly pods from Horror Make-Up Show were used as scenery for actors to hide behind. Just before you exited the building, there was a red waterfall, a couple air blasters, and a man with a wand that produced spiraling sparks. As we exited, I thought the maze was over it wasnt. The fence on both side was covered with ripped plastic sheeting that actors could appear through the rips. After the fence, were the crushed cars on both sides. Dead ahead was a gunner that was demanding that you stay as he shot sprays of water at you. Also visible was a sparking helicopter as you exited the maze. It funneled out next to the Dr. Doom entrance.

We came out to the main street and looked right, the regular guests had obviously just been let in. So, we went over to the previously closed Scary Tales 2 to get the jump. For the third time that evening, we had a walk-on wait. Scary Tales 2 was very similar to the original, except that it was not as well themed and was darker than last year. As you enter, you come through walls of painted on teeth. You proceed through a series of evil fairy tales and dark corridors. There were the familiar faces of evil Alice, who would kindly splash the blood of her bloody doll on you, Little Red Riding Hood, and other brief snippets. Between these short scenes are very dark paths with strategically placed spooks, some of which you dont even see but they whisper something evil inches from your ear. The house also brought back the popular finale from last year, but placed it about midway through this years maze. This is the scene with the walls painted in black and white checkerboard fashion with similarly painted actors that blend in like chameleons, on top of all that, there are strobes flashing. Although, they did not blend in as seamlessly as last year, the effect still worked. As you neared the end, there was a very dark cornfield scene similar to last year as well as a scene with the Big Bad Wolf. For the finale, the maze winds outside. Here you go through a path with several pumpkins, some ghouls, and chainsaw men. This was the best finale of the park, we were hit with seemingly scare after scare, I'd say about 8 within 10 or 15 seconds the second time we did the house later that night. Although it lacks in the intense theming of last years Scary Tales, this one makes up for it by having a high volume of actors that really produce the scares.

We emptied out behind Gasoline Alley and headed straight for Scream House. By now the music and actors for Treaks & Foons had wandered out. The music was a bizarre mix of farts, burps, and laughs. As you entered the foam, the gas noises faded and there was primarily a light wandering tune that had something about it that made you just want to dance through the foam. And, in fact, you found people dancing with the actors in a circle. We now entered IUS, which was still yet to have actors in it. On through the Port of Evil the crowds got thick. All the torture stations had actors at them and Caretaker was wandering about on stilts, but I had no time to linger because the Scream House line was building.

The Scream House line was about 20 minutes by the time we reached it. A large banner hung from the building with the Caretaker beckoning the guests. On the side of the studio a light shown that read Scream House: Your Time Has Come. The line featured stone gargoyles, bodies strewn aside, and cobwebbed trees. The entrance to the studio had a graveyard painted above the opening to the studio. Once inside, you find yourself in the front yard of the Scream House with what can be called a preshow. There was a video depicting newspaper articles of the events that had occurred, the bloodied bodies found in the kitchen, and, of course, the Caretaker staring you down. The premise of this maze is one that is truly chilling after you watch the video and get into the maze. You enter through the front door into a room with a piano, which appears to be playing itself. To the right, there is a dark corner, you can't really make out what's there, but before you find out a ghoul leaps out. You wander the corridors of a ragged house: wallpaper tearing and old family pictures crooked. As you turn the corner and prepare to enter the kitchen, a body dangles by a noose in a deep closet that gives the actor something to hide in. The kitchen is a grisly scene. Bodies strewn everywhere, mad doctors behind blood stained curtains, and even a mutilated body that looks fake but is actually an actor. You exit this area into the pantry, one of the shelves with food slides back and reveals an actor that produces a loud burping sound. From here there are a series of zig zag pathways. At the end of each path there would be a dimly lit scene. In the dark paths, there were free-roaming actors (some with chainsaws) and wet body bags. After more halls, you enter a courtyard with small cells and troubled people wandering the yard. You reenter the final leg of the house. The background music, which was faint before, was now getting more intense. You could hear what it was saying now, it was the Caretaker discussing evil and how to disassemble a body. It intensified and ghouls came out of every dark corner. An actor peeked out of a wall of face skin. As I came to the end I saw the Caretaker ahead of me his infamous tool. All of a sudden he lurched forward, but I soon realized I was looking at a mirror and he was actually coming up behind me. As he snapped his tool, he proclaimed, "Your time has come! We exited the maze, and there was an employee asking everyone if they were ok.

We decided to give the maze another go since that was probably as short as it would get all night, which now had a wait of 45 minutes. By now, a sideshow act was going on in line. It was a reptile man whose main act was to have a snake go through his nose and out his mouth. He also did such acts like escaping from a straightjacket and getting darts thrown into his back. We wandered through Boo-Ville, and by now it was dark and all the islands were fully haunted. The streets were somewhat misted and the streets played the music of an evil carnival. The opening to Driving Machines flickered with light and cutouts of nervous whos decorated these entrances. The Moose Juice stand had red lights on top that would periodically flash which would illuminate the area for a split second. The bridge connecting Boo-Ville and IES (Island of Evil Souls) had a fireball machine on the lagoon side that would shoot a tremendous flame into the sky every so many seconds. First thing in IES I noticed the very well costumed demon greeting all that entered on his pedestal. Throughout this island there could be found bongo banging spooks, chainsaw maniacs, and demon-like figures. Studio 666 had nothing more special than a New Years Eve night and, at the time, virtually no one was dancing. The songs werent that bad that were playing, a lot of classic rock. As we were coming towards the path that leads to the Flying Unicorn Express Pass booths, there were two dragons (which were not actor driven but mechanical) that would bob and move their heads in a shroud of mist. We passed another demon on a pedestal when exiting IES towards Jurassic Park Extinction (JPE). This bridge featured the same fire effects as the Suess bridge. As we entered, a raptor unexpectedly lunged from the woods and snapped at us with a growl! This was a fantastic effect and the best costume of the night. We made our way through some very dense fog with chainsaw men and half-dino/half-human freaks lurking in it.

We arrived at Evilution with a pleasant 10 minute wait time greeting us. The line wrapped back behind the Discovery Center and entered in a back alley between the Popeye lift hill and Triceratops Encounter. In line there were about 5 or so monitors showing clips from past JP movies. You enter into a wide path with two abandoned guard booths and no actors. As you turn the corner left, there is an actor that rustle the tall bushes and every minute or so comes screaming out which always got a big scare. The maze really started when you entered one of the triceratopss paddocks. A broken crate surrounded the triceratops and strobe lights went off on the inside of the crate in attempt to make the dino look very volatile. At one point, a bloodied scientist would peak out of the crate and beg for mercy. Just outside the paddock, the curator, blindfolded, hung from a noose squirming and jumping every couple seconds. The maze then wound itself through the dark woods of JP. Half human and half dino freaks lurked within the woods which gave a good disguise. At one point it misted and spat drops of water as if it were beginning to rain. Just before entering one of the discovery centers, you make out hatching eggs along with a butchered worker begging for help. Upon entering the outpost, you find a grim scientist along with more dino freaks. Exit the outpost into more dark woods filled with the great costumed dino freaks. One part where the flow began to slow, I decided to rest on a handrail. Just as I leaned on it, a ghoul jumped out of the woods right at me. That gave me quite a jump and showed that you couldnt let your guard down in this maze. Into the final scenes, one more outpost featured a torn up triceratops head dripping with blood complete with a gunner in a tower flooding guests with water spray. The final run was more of the woods trend which contained a house set up in which someone would jump through the window and one would open the door. The final attack was had by an actor in one of the raptor outfits.

We decided to swing around and hit the maze again while the line was low. On the way out of the maze to get to the entrance, I was completely frightened by an actor that seamlessly blended into the bushes. As it lurched out, it emitted the most unnerving squeak, squeak, squeak I ever heard. Id love to see more of these rather than the trite rattlebox people. Laughing about the first attack, I came around the corner and was hit again! These made for some of the two best freights of the evening, great stuff. After the second go in Evilution, we went to the Enchanted Oak for a rest, a drink, and to wait and say hi to the rest of the group which planned a meet for that time. After about 15 minutes after 9, we decided to just carry on and figured that they were caught in line for a maze.

We decided to aim for the 10:30 Bill & Ted show and check out IUS in the mean time since we had yet to see it haunted. The buildings shot up fire and strobes went off at very times and places throughout the island. The music was one of a futuristic laser war. The streets had various villains such as unidentified goons with water guns, the devil, skull chainsaw men, and goon cops. In front of Café 4, Carnage towered over the city on a tower proclaiming that the whole city was now his. We rounded the corner to find Storm Force had extra fog added for the night and decided to give it a go since the wait was nonexistent and we had some time to kill before the next B&T show. The ride was improved somewhat by the fog, but nothing to rave over. With nothing else to do, we hiked over and waited for the 10:30 B&T show.

We got seats in the lower section, in the dead center of the auditorium for Bill & Teds Excellent Halloween Adventure. The show was a great was as always, getting the whole crowd involved. It included Agent J, Serleena, Anna Nicole Smith, Eminem, Austin Powers, Foxxy Cleopatra, Darth Vader, Martha Stewart, Triumph the Insult Dog, Elvis, Dr. Evil, the Osbornes, Gandolf, Green Goblin, Mini Me, the whole Scooby gang, Powerpuff Girls, Pink, Spiderman, and mini-Ozzy. The plot included Dr. Evil kidnapping the Osbornes and Scooby Doo. I would say the funniest part would be when Gandolf used magic to make a dove (fake) appear which Ozzy then grabbed and bit the head off of. Very funny, the whole cast did fantastic, particularly Ozzy, Dr. Evil, and the Scooby gang.

The night was winding down, and it was time for us to hit the houses again. We traveled to Scary Tales 2 first to check the line with a brief detour to get my picture with my favorite goon(which was very friendly) from Treaks & Foons. The line turned out to be 2.5 hours, so we abruptly turned and headed toward Fear Factor. We were greeted with a 75-minute wait, which we agreed we could handle. The maze now had a few more people in it including two people with glass boxes on their head filled with fake bugs and the rat lady now was set up in the rat section of the house. At around 12:30 we got out and headed for Scary Tales 2. By now the wait had dwindled to 20-30 minutes. In those 20 minutes, we had to listen to the gaseous soundtrack to the island (which we laughed at) and watched a contortionist work around in a trashcan and a glass box. The second go on Scary Tales was filled with more actors that made for a more enjoyable experience. It was now 1 am, and completing every maze twice except Max Carn, we decided to go ahead and complete the double runs. We figured it would be neat to say we did all the houses twice and Bill & Ted on a sold out night. So, with about a 45-minute wait, we completed Max Carn. The maze did not improve as the night went on as the other two had. We made out way out through the Port of Evil that was quite well done. The stations were set up and there were eerie, but funny, narrations of the proceedings. The streets clouded with mist and the Caretaker (this time not on stilts) paced the length of the island. Under the bridge in which you first hit as you enter the park, they had plastic slits that had images of the islands goons playing in motion over them. We exited the park we had done it, we conquered the sold out night and managed to do all the houses twice and Bill & Ted.

Reflecting back, this year was the best Halloween event of any sort Ive been to. It was efficiently done with the houses having manageable wait times throughout the night. Not only wasnt efficient, but the theming was top notch and the effects were better than ever. The houses in order of how I liked them are: Scream House, Scary Tales 2, Evilution, Fear Factor, and Maximum Carnage. Scream House was truly chilling and provided optimum scares and theme. Scary Tales 2 was not as good as last year, but proved to have the best finale of the night. Evilution is almost my second favorite house, but the maze had fantastic costumes and the woods at night factored in on the positive side. Fear Factor had some great effects and just plain old fun house style amusement and does not deserve all the bad reviews it is receiving. Maximum Carnage, although my least favorite house of the night, is far from bad. It did not have quite as many actors as I had hoped and the maze part was not utilized, but I did love the high energy set and the vibrant theming. The islands in the order I liked them were as follows: Treaks & Foons, Jurassic Park Extinction, Port of Evil, Island Under Siege, Island of Evil Souls, and Boo-Ville. Treaks & Foons lacked any sort of fear element, but was just so much fun to wander the foam with those irresistible goons. JPE had some of the best scares of the night including the raptor costumes, thick fog, and the squeaker spooks. PoE was like a circus sideshow mixed with the traditional scare zones of the USF HHN. IUS was the most crowded, but the futuristic battle scene (which felt like a T2 and super villain fusion) made it overcome the crowd barrier. IES had some unique villains and great demon costumes coupled with the neat dragon head effect. Boo-Ville was as good as an island can get without foam or actors because of its superb lighting, music, and fog effects. I had the best time at the event, thanks to the other three members of out small sub-group for making it a fun evening. Thanks for reading

*edited from original post for accuracy

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

Sure. Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County were my favorites. I would glance at Marmaduke and Family Circus. They never made me laugh but they ran for decades because someone loved them.

IP is mostly meaningless. See also: Splash Mountain.
Calvin and Hobbes is awesome! My Dad and his friends got kicked out of the college library back in the 90's for reading and laughing at the books. I love FoxTrot as well. Plus who doesn't like Peanuts and Garfield. If Knotts did not have the rights to Peanuts I would have no problem with it replacing Toon Lagoon.

JT3000

Reminds me of a long way back when they stuck a Marvel HHN house in the island but Marvel demanded it closed pretty quick.

At least, that was the rumour.

Marvel supposedly weren't happy about their characters being used for that purpose without permission, but it stayed open for the entire event. Obviously they wouldn't get away with it a second time regardless of whether there was any truth to that rumor.

Here's what I was able to find about the one-and-only HHN at IOA:

Not to be pedantic, but HHN actually used IOA from 2002 to 2005, with 2004 being the only two-park event, and 2002 being the only time they used some of the park's actual themes (Marvel & JP) for the event itself.

Last edited:

lebeau

Calvin and Hobbes is awesome! My Dad and his friends got kicked out of the college library back in the 90's for reading and laughing at the books. I love FoxTrot as well. Plus who doesn't like Peanuts and Garfield. If Knotts did not have the rights to Peanuts I would have no problem with it replacing Toon Lagoon.

My local park, Kings Island, is part of the Cedar Fair chain. We have Peanuts and it's a fun, simple theme. Very appropriate for a regional park. Prior to Cedar Fair, we had Nickelodeon which was more contemporary and apparently a lot more expensive. Spongebob and Dora remained relevant the entire time, but other shows like Rugrats, Danny Phantom and The Wild Thornberries stayed in the park long after they stopped producing new episodes. Peanuts, on the other hand, is timeless. When the change was made, a lot of people complained because their kids didn't know Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the gang as well as the cast from Bikini Bottom. But the truth is aside from different signage, marketing, etc, the change in IP didn't have much of an impact on the park.

The Grand Inquisitor

My local park, Kings Island, is part of the Cedar Fair chain. We have Peanuts and it's a fun, simple theme. Very appropriate for a regional park. Prior to Cedar Fair, we had Nickelodeon which was more contemporary and apparently a lot more expensive. Spongebob and Dora remained relevant the entire time, but other shows like Rugrats, Danny Phantom and The Wild Thornberries stayed in the park long after they stopped producing new episodes. Peanuts, on the other hand, is timeless. When the change was made, a lot of people complained because their kids didn't know Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the gang as well as the cast from Bikini Bottom. But the truth is aside from different signage, marketing, etc, the change in IP didn't have much of an impact on the park.
That's really cool. Honestly if Toon Lagoon was replaced by Bikini Bottom I would have no problem with that.

Disneyhead'71

That's really cool. Honestly if Toon Lagoon was replaced by Bikini Bottom I would have no problem with that.
The Nickelodeon US theme park rights are owned by the Mall of America/American Dream Mall people.

I think they should just go in-house and use 3 DreamWorks IPs.

Put the Kung Fu Panda E Ticket boat ride from Beijing where the empty amphitheater is now and continue the Valley of Peace land up the hill to where the Popeye statue is now. The Valley of Peace would also include the Chinese Lantern spinner from Beijing and, of course, Mr. Ping's Noodle and Sake House.

The Popeye Land becomes Shrek's Swamp. Bluto's is rethemed to a ride through Shrek's Swamp that has been over run with Fairytale characters and chocked full of visual puns. Wimpy's becomes Donkey's Ye Ol' House of Waffles.

From the Popeye Statue to the bridge to Kong becomes Madagascar. Ripsaw Falls is removed and replaced with kid friendly Madagascar trackless dark ride. There would be a Penguins Shaved Ice stand and King Julius' Orange Smoothies. Which would also have pineapple and banana soft serve.

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

The Nickelodeon US theme park rights are owned by the Mall of America/American Dream Mall people.

I think they should just go in-house and use 3 DreamWorks IPs.

Put the Kung Fu Panda E Ticket boat ride from Beijing where the empty amphitheater is now and continue the Valley of Peace land up the hill to where the Popeye statue is now. The Valley of Peace would also include the Chinese Lantern spinner from Beijing and, of course, Mr. Ping's Noodle and Sake House.

The Popeye Land becomes Shrek's Swamp. Bluto's is rethemed to a ride through Shrek's Swamp that has been over run with Fairytale characters and chocked full of visual puns. Wimpy's becomes Donkey's Ye Ol' House of Waffles.

From the Popeye Statue to the bridge to Kong becomes Madagascar. Ripsaw Falls is removed and replaced with kid friendly Madagascar trackless dark ride. There would be a Penguins Shaved Ice stand and King Julius' Orange Smoothies. Which would also have pineapple and banana soft serve.
Ok hands down that's the best idea I have heard yet. I'm totally on board for this. I feel Universal would maybe put Trolls instead of Madagascar due to how popular that franchise is.

JT3000

In what way? Because there are other areas of New York in Universal parks? I mean Universal is more than willing to repeat itself. But perhaps you are correct.

Yes, because there's a NY area in USF already. When have they ever repeated (is)land locations? Even Wizarding World is two different locations.

Last edited:

JT3000

It would be two different time periods. But yeah, I could see the argument against two versions of NY.

There are a few small details hinting at modern NY here and there, but overall, the existing land has a pretty classical feel to it (if you can ignore Transformers looming over much of it), right down to the old timey window displays & the vintage car parked on one of the side streets. There are no modern looking buildings. The vast majority are brick. With Fantastic Beasts taking place in the 1920s, I think it would still be pretty redundant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom