Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

lazyboy97o

Exactly, it has been in the works for quite a while. If they were just breaking ground or making plans now they'd have no chance to open anytime in 2023. And if they had the base infrastructure down already 3.5 to 4 years would likely be plenty of time. They're just at the sage of a project that it's hard to tell how long things are actually going to take. Few timelines survive first contact with the enemy ... er ... the reality of logistics.

Land surveys get you through the all the clearing and grading. There can still be a lot of surveying after that for construction and feasibility. Normally it's not a that big deal because the land survey is typically enough to spot anything that would be a concern but things come up when they're least wanted.
Of course there is more surveying after grading. That’s how things get located in the field. Surveys also don’t find problems in the ground. The land required remediation and has since seen a lot of site work so there really should not be any big surprises of the sort that would hurt the timeline of the park.

BubbaQuest

Why is it aggressive? It’s about five years of dedicated design and construction with a couple more on top for master planning and feasibility.

For some reason I was thinking they only had 2.5 years until Summer 2023. I obviously miscalculated that! Summer 2023 seems very doable if the land is ready to go (I'm assuming a year of prep and then a 2-year buildout).

Of course there is more surveying after grading. That’s how things get located in the field. Surveys also don’t find problems in the ground. The land required remediation and has since seen a lot of site work so there really should not be any big surprises of the sort that would hurt the timeline of the park.

If I remember correctly there were buildings on this site in the past? I wasn't sure if the area was already setup for power and sewer requirements though.

lazyboy97o

Accurate. People here are far too used to Disney extremely protracted building times. This will open in 2023, and earlier in the year at that.
It's really not much faster.

If I remember correctly there were buildings on this site in the past? I wasn't sure if the area was already setup for power and sewer requirements though.
If there were, it was not many and site work has been ongoing for awhile now. I don't believe any major utility work has started but what really complicates that work is having to navigate existing lines, made worse if they are poorly documented.

JoeCamel

Cows. There were cows. And before that it was used as a bomb range.
It’s now been 20 years since Universal first acquired the land from Lockheed Martin. There are areas of the remaining facility that are apparently still off limits to personelle due to the dangers of unexploded ordinance.
I don't know about ordinance but they did a lot of missile work there and the chemicals were enough to get it declared a superfund site. It has been cleaned up since except for a couple of area that will not be developed that are encapsulated in place.

Last edited:

OG Runner

I don't know about ordinance but they did a lot of missile work there and the chemicals were enough to get it declared a superfund site. It has been cleaned up since except for a couple of area that will not be developed that are encapsulated in place.

Halloween Horror Nights 2023. Really be part of the celebration, as visitors glow in the dark and if all those comic books I read
are right, gain superpowers. :joyfull:

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

An old scan of an © Orlando Sentinel article where Universal was selling off 2,100 acres of land. It was a different time financially, and UOR eventually sold it all off. Few years ago UOR bought back hundreds of these same acres to develop Universal's Epic Universe.

Kingtut

Construction ... yes. Moving from partly ungraded/not fully surveyed land, first draft building plans, and in progress R&D to operating theme park complex ... is a bit more daunting. Still doable! Just riding on every bit going as smoothly as possible.

2023 will be the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company and is likely to be a world wide Disney celebration event.
I'm sure the plans for Disney's Year of 100 cupcakes are well underway by now.

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

·
Nov 10

November 10th
Aerial view of planned parking site in Universal's Epic Universe. Arrow in planning map same spot as a construction entrance from Destination Pwy seen in aerial.

1573503487022.png
1573503496349.png

Aerial view looking across planned parking site in Universal's Epic Universe. Arrow in 2nd image approximate viewpoint of aerial, across a road and traffic planning map.
1573503547828.png
1573503560003.png

Arrow at a single palm tree planted many months ago in Universal's Epic Universe. Believed to be at center of the site.
1573503601090.png

Aerial view looking South across Universal's Epic Universe site. Sand Lake Rd in foreground.
1573503637803.png

Aerial view of where Universal is already approved to build warehouses and offices at Universal's Epic Universe. Note the road bed at left for widening of Sand Lake Road.
1573503712090.png

Apartments built adjacent the sprawling property of Universal's Epic Universe. See map in this Orlando Sentinel article. These apartments are south of the "tin" in the Lockheed Martin label in the map.
https://orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-expansion-site-20180404-story.html
1573503752931.png
1573503764918.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom