Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

The Grand Inquisitor

Only three I care for:

Lord of the Rings
Star Trek (any and all versions)
Back to the Future

I know BTTF has come and gone, but I’d love an indoor launch coaster themed to it. Get that baby up to 88mph!
Those are some fantastic ideas! I would love to see Lord of the Rings! Sadly I'm not sure the Tolkien family will ever allow universal to use the ip :(

lebeau

Those are some fantastic ideas! I would love to see Lord of the Rings! Sadly I'm not sure the Tolkien family will ever allow universal to use the ip :(

It seems like they will let the rights go for the right price. They haven't exactly been choosy lately.

Only three I care for:

Lord of the Rings
Star Trek (any and all versions)
Back to the Future

I know BTTF has come and gone, but I’d love an indoor launch coaster themed to it. Get that baby up to 88mph!

I wouldn't mind any of these. LotR might be a bit redundant with some of the other fantasy properties represented. Star Trek presents some unique challenges with all of the different interpretations. I'm sure it could be done, but there are some difficult choices to make so you don't wind up with a less popular Galaxy's Edge. BTTF is only relevant to us old folks. I like it, but I think the current representation (vehicles, merch and meet and greet) are the appropriate level.

I'll throw out some ideas:

Jaws
James Bond
Ghostbusters
Dr. Who
Beetlejuice

WDWFREAK53

It seems like they will let the rights go for the right price. They haven't exactly been choosy lately.

I wouldn't mind any of these. LotR might be a bit redundant with some of the other fantasy properties represented. Star Trek presents some unique challenges with all of the different interpretations. I'm sure it could be done, but there are some difficult choices to make so you don't wind up with a less popular Galaxy's Edge. BTTF is only relevant to us old folks. I like it, but I think the current representation (vehicles, merch and meet and greet) are the appropriate level.

I'll throw out some ideas:

Jaws
James Bond
Ghostbusters
Dr. Who
Beetlejuice

Ghostbusters could be great. The interactive "catching ghosts and trapping them" would be really fun. Cruising around NYC in Ecto-1...Maybe even getting slimed....or having Stay-Puft explode. With the multiple iterations, video game, and the new movie in production, I could see it being a hit.

Doctor Who. I'm not a fan of the franchise but I do see the appeal and think it would work really well as an attraction but I'm not sure about an entire land.

Beetlejuice: I'd actually be ok with putting him in the Classic Monster section. Maybe a "Master of Ceremonies" for the land.

As much as I love Back to the Future and feel that it deserves a great attraction, the franchise is dying.

It's too bad that Ready Player One didn't do well because imagine what you could do with AR technology throughout the entire park (considering the book was a cornucopia of pop culture references). A "full-park scale" Ready Player One easter egg hunt could be really cool...especially if there were hidden games/attractions that you needed to discover in order to move up the ranks.

lebeau

Beetlejuice: I'd actually be ok with putting him in the Classic Monster section. Maybe a "Master of Ceremonies" for the land.

Back when rumors first started of a Universal Monsters/Spooky Land I was imaging an area for the monsters (obviously), Scooby Doo, Beetlejuice and maybe the Ghostbusters. Still super excited about the monsters though.

lazyboy97o

They could have a retro 80's land with Ghostbusters, Beetleljuice, Back to the future , and Scooby Doo!
The park is conceived as only having single-story universe lands. No mixing of properties. That’s why there is no DreamWorks Animation land or Pokémon in Super Nintendo World or Beetlejuice in the Universal Monsters Land.

EarthboundChild

Someone was blue skying ideas for an expansion to epic universe. Which lands would you guys want them to add? For me it would be Luigi's Mansion and a Christmas themed land due to the fact Comcast owns the rights to Rudolph and the rest of the specials.
I would love to see a Luigi's Mansion dark ride that rivals Haunted Mansion or Mystic Manor.

A trackless dark ride ala Mystic Manor would be even better considering Universal currently doesn't have a trackless dark ride presently or announced (Disney's US parks currently don't either but they are getting Rise of the Resistance followed by the Ratatouille ride in the near future).

cheezbat

The park is conceived as only having single-story universe lands. No mixing of properties. That’s why there is no DreamWorks Animation land or Pokémon in Super Nintendo World or Beetlejuice in the Universal Monsters Land.
Which is stupid and in the long run probsbly a bad idea for the park. It will need to evolve. It should be more encompassing like Magic Kingdom or Islands of Adventure. While the monsters have been around forever and Nintendo is timeless, How to Train your Dragon and Fantastic Beasts aren’t. 15-20 years down the road they may have to pull a Lost Continent and completely replace those lands.

The Grand Inquisitor

Which is stupid and in the long run probsbly a bad idea for the park. It will need to evolve. It should be more encompassing like Magic Kingdom or Islands of Adventure. While the monsters have been around forever and Nintendo is timeless, How to Train your Dragon and Fantastic Beasts aren’t. 15-20 years down the road they may have to pull a Lost Continent and completely replace those lands.
I think Dragons will be timeless. When I worked at summer camps a bunch of kids had backpacks and toys that were dragons themed. Plus the franchise is Dreamworks best besides Kung fu Panda and Shrek. I think the franchise like Toy Story will hold for years to come.

JT3000

This park shouldn't go overboard with trying to deliver specific stories within specific worlds. Basing lands around separate but ultimately connected properties worked fine for IOA, and I'm of the opinion that something like a Dreamworks land should be strongly considered. It certainly makes more sense than just doing How to Train Your Dragon, which has no lasting power on its own.

Rich Brownn

I would love to see a Luigi's Mansion dark ride that rivals Haunted Mansion or Mystic Manor.

A trackless dark ride ala Mystic Manor would be even better considering Universal currently doesn't have a trackless dark ride presently or announced (Disney's US parks currently don't either but they are getting Rise of the Resistance followed by the Ratatouille ride in the near future).
both Kong and F&F are trackless

lazyboy97o

I don’t disagree that it is problematic for the future but it is the direction of not just this park, but also Universal in general. Universal Studios Beijing is taking the same approach. I’m not sure why people keep acting as though Fantastic Beasts is a distinct Universe.

They don't take advantage of it in anyway whatsoever though. They're essentially just as "trackless" in implementation as Tower of Terror is.
And they wasted a lot of money to be “trackless”.

Rich Brownn

They don't take advantage of it in anyway whatsoever though. They're essentially just as "trackless" in implementation as Tower of Terror is.
True (other than not having a busbar go outside on Kong), But I was pointing out they are trackless, nevertheless, and that the original post was incorrect in stating that Universal doesn't have any trackless dark rides.

Timothy_Q

"Universal Monsters is a weak IP" is the funniest take.

You mean these characters that have remained popular and recognizable decade after decade, throughout every generation, even without having any decent movies made about them for decades?

Their designs from the 30's are so iconic that they're still being referenced every year all across pop culture

Yes, they're very weak

The Grand Inquisitor

You mean these characters that have remained popular and recognizable decade after decade, throughout every generation, even without having any decent movies made about them for decades?

Their designs from the 30's are so iconic that they're still being referenced every year all across pop culture

Yes, they're very weak

BubbaisSleep

Yes, they're very weak
I feel like the horror aspect in themeparks are usually always timeless. They cause for exciting environments that teens and adults love. Plus it’s the ride, not the IP that determines a ride’s popularity. Tower or Terror, the Mummy, & Haunted Mansion will always remain iconic in my opinion. There is very little need for a retheme in the future due to characters like Frankenstien, Dracula, the Mummy... all pretty much carrying the same exact aesthetic for decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom