Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Disneyhead'71

They would be remiss if they didn't do these.
My favorite proof of concept story is they pitched a Wonka land to take over the remainder of The Lost Continent. It was to be a small English village (retail) sitting in front of a huge chocolate factory. Inside the factory were 3 rides (Wonkatania, Fizzy Lifting Lab, and Glass Elevator) and a restaurant. I don't know who shot it down, Comcast or Wonka rights holder, but the concept eventually morphed in to Toothsomes.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

My favorite proof of concept story is they pitched a Wonka land to take of the remainder of The Lost Continent. It was to be a small English village (retail) sitting in front of a huge chocolate factory. Inside the factory were 3 rides (Wonkatania, Fizzy Lifting Lab, and Glass Elevator) and a restaurant. I don't know who shot it down, Comcast or Wonka rights holder, but the concept eventually morphed in to Toothsomes.
Probably better to have the chocolate contained in Toothsome than tracking it throughout the park.......

Sorcerer Mickey

There is a rumor that Universal Creative has a LotR "proof of concept" drawn up for the large expansion pad between the hub dueling coaster and Potter. That kind of thing is used when pitching a project to higher ups in the company and rights holders to gain access to an IP. But "proof of concept" is far from what actually gets built.

Here is an image from the proof of concept that UC took to Nintendo. As you can see, it is very different from what they eventually built.

super_nintendo_world_gary_snyder_leak_pic_1.jpeg

I have also heard they have an older LotR proof of concept for Toon Lagoon at IOA.
I remember seeing this leaked a few years ago and it's a real shame we didn't get representation of multiple video game characters in a land called Super Nintendo World. But I'm holding out hope they just want to space these out so guests keep coming back (DK turned out to be real).

Side note - I went to Mario World in Hollywood this week and it is fantastic.

JT3000

I remember seeing this leaked a few years ago and it's a real shame we didn't get representation of multiple video game characters in a land called Super Nintendo World. But I'm holding out hope they just want to space these out so guests keep coming back (DK turned out to be real).

Side note - I went to Mario World in Hollywood this week and it is fantastic.
We should be glad this plan didn't go through. This would have been too little space dedicated to too many characters. You could easily just do Mario, but I think Mario & Donkey Kong is fine for now. Lest we forget, Universal already has the park rights to Pokemon as well, and I think the expansion plot just north of Nintendo would be perfect for it.

WDWFREAK53

We should be glad this plan didn't go through. This would have been too little space dedicated to too many characters. You could easily just do Mario, but I think Mario & Donkey Kong is fine for now. Lest we forget, Universal already has the park rights to Pokemon as well, and I think the expansion plot just north of Nintendo would be perfect for it.

I'd love to see Pokemon take over Simpsons, Zelda take over Toon Lagoon, and create something for Metroid...(MIB?)

J4546

The steaming corpse of the Lost Continent is ripe for the taking.
God, that area is such a let down with beautiful theming but no ride (anymore) and a terrible walk through show thing. and abandoned theater....mythos is good food though. I hold out hope that they will get rid of the walkthrough and maybe combine space with the abandoned theater next door for a massive new darkride like indiana jones or something

JT3000

The Legend of Zelda would fit quite nicely in the Lost Continent real estate.
I've been hearing that they have plans drawn up for Zelda in that location ever since the Nintendo acquisition was first announced, but I'm not sure if it got put on the back burner (or cancelled) for Epic Universe, or if it was always more of a long-term project.

As much as I enjoyed Lost Continent's theming, it's not worth saving at this point. They need to rip off the band-aid and get something new in there. It's just a question of what they'll do with Mythos.

lazyboy97o

I've been hearing that they have plans drawn up for Zelda in that location ever since the Nintendo acquisition was first announced, but I'm not sure if it got put on the back burner (or cancelled) for Epic Universe, or if it was always more of a long-term project.

As much as I enjoyed Lost Continent's theming, it's not worth saving at this point. They need to rip off the band-aid and get something new in there. It's just a question of what they'll do with Mythos.
It was a near term project when Epic Universe was a longer term project. When Epic Universe moved up Zelda and Pokémon were dropped for the time being.

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
·4h

Aerial look at the dual-racing roller coaster in Universal's Epic Universe. Most recently placed track is at left, for a crossover above the launch.
1677877801526.png

Aerial look at part of the dual-racing roller coaster in Universal's Epic Universe. Most recently placed track is at left. A crossover above the launches.
1677877770653.png

At left in this aerial is the dual-racing roller in Universal's Epic Universe. At right, the roller coaster in How To Train Your Dragon land.
1677877858965.png

At left in this aerial, roller coaster in How To Train Your Dragon Land. At right, a dual-racing roller coaster. In Universal's Epic Universe.
1677877916318.png

Aerial look at some of the track of a dual-racing roller coaster in Universal's Epic Universe. Most recently placed track is a crossover above the launch.
1677877952446.png

Poseidon Quest

Do we think Dark Universe is the main Classic Monsters ride or the land as a whole? I'd wager it's the land as a whole, with The Oak and Star Tavern being the main restaurant in the land.

Those were my guesses when I first saw it. The quick service is rumored to include some sort of "storytelling" tree in some form, so the name makes sense. Dark Universe seems like a bit of an odd choice if it is the name for the land, but might make a lot more sense in context.

lazyboy97o

Dark Universe was the name of Universal’s failed monster cinematic universe.

Dark Universe at Universal Epic Universe seems about just right for bad theme park names.

J4546

Universal should let Wes Anderson make a movie with the monsters where Green Lantern and Wonder WOman run a bed and breakfast in Berlin and nothing happens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom