Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

JT3000

There is this ridiculous belief that the entire reason for and design of the park is driven by renting out the lands to private parties.

I could see them trying to use that to their advantage, but I very much doubt that was the impetus for the park's compartmentalized design. Personally, I'd love to see them STOP renting the parks out to such groups. They shouldn't be allowed to buy that experience at the expense of other guests. At the very least, they could handle the whole thing differently, like letting them rent out a special event space that's technically inside the park but doesn't encroach on the park's common areas, which could then remain open, and doing the whole VIP tour thing like at HHN. Just don't send them all to the same place at the same time.

The Grand Inquisitor

I wonder if Universal will swing around to any other smaller projects? For IOA/USF.

It's going to be quite a long lead-time for them now between the Jurassic Coaster and the new park. Yes tourism is depressed, but also having little new to market won't help matters.
I agree. Pets could replace Shrek. Kidszone could be replaced by Pokemon. USF could get an new parade. IOA could get the rumored Grinch ride or something else entirely.

lazyboy97o

I wonder if Universal will swing around to any other smaller projects? For IOA/USF.

It's going to be quite a long lead-time for them now between the Jurassic Coaster and the new park. Yes tourism is depressed, but also having little new to market won't help matters.
I could see them ending up with a gap just because the decision to do something to fill that gap would have to be occurring pretty much right now or at least in the near future. I just don't see them being able to pull of another Transformers, and the parks don't need something barebones just dropped in wherever it will fit.

Rob562

Could they try with Secret Life of Pets?

USF already has a NYC area. Is there something big enough to stick it in now (like Shrek)?

Technically Shrek is part of Production Central, not New York. (Though since they put in the Today Cafe on the *other* side of Shrek and muddied the delineation of the lands in that end of the park, perhaps they're looking to re-work the borders of the lands and expand what "New York" is and rope Shrek into New York.)

The one building that could possibly be used within the current confines of the New York section is one that's currently just backstage to the left of the NY Public Library facade. (You walk past it on your way to a couple of the houses back there during HHN) Based on measurements from Google Maps, that building is only slightly less square footage than the entire Shrek building.

I'm not 100% sure what it currently is, but it has a theater marquee on the front. I think it's used for student groups, etc. Those could perhaps be relocated elsewhere to another building that's farther backstage/not as convenient.

-Rob

Disneyhead'71

Technically Shrek is part of Production Central, not New York. (Though since they put in the Today Cafe on the *other* side of Shrek and muddied the delineation of the lands in that end of the park, perhaps they're looking to re-work the borders of the lands and expand what "New York" is and rope Shrek into New York.)

The one building that could possibly be used within the current confines of the New York section is one that's currently just backstage to the left of the NY Public Library facade. (You walk past it on your way to a couple of the houses back there during HHN) Based on measurements from Google Maps, that building is only slightly less square footage than the entire Shrek building.

I'm not 100% sure what it currently is, but it has a theater marquee on the front. I think it's used for student groups, etc. Those could perhaps be relocated elsewhere to another building that's farther backstage/not as convenient.

-Rob
The Paramount Theater. It is the entrance to and lockers for The Mummy. That building is also used seasonally as a tribute store for Halloween Horror Nights and other events.

JoeCamel

The Paramount Theater. It is the entrance to and lockers for The Mummy. That building is also used seasonally as a tribute store for Halloween Horror Nights and other events.
I think he is asking about the building they have the meetings and panels in as shown below.

build.PNG

\

Rob562

I think he is asking about the building they have the meetings and panels in as shown below.

View attachment 471575
\

That's the one.

If its current functions can be relocated elsewhere, its convenient for an attraction. They could even work the attraction entrance into the NY Public Library facade to give it more visibility rather than having it tucked around a corner.

-Rob

JoeCamel

That's the one.

If its current functions can be relocated elsewhere, its convenient for an attraction. They could even work the attraction entrance into the NY Public Library facade to give it more visibility rather than having it tucked around a corner.

-Rob
This was brought up in another context and I seem to recall there was a function of that building that would be hard to relocate - or something like that.

The Grand Inquisitor

Could they try with Secret Life of Pets?

USF already has a NYC area. Is there something big enough to stick it in now (like Shrek)?
They could definitely do it. It took Universal about 2 years to demo the old theater in Hollywood and build the ride. If Universal closes Shrek this year and starts construction by the end of the year they could easily do it.

lazyboy97o

They could definitely do it. It took Universal about 2 years to demo the old theater in Hollywood and build the ride. If Universal closes Shrek this year and starts construction by the end of the year they could easily do it.
You have to have a design [largely] complete before you can start construction. Transformers: The Ride - 3D was the exception and not the rule. Universal and Universal Creative have changed and bloated a lot since then.

JoeCamel

I could honestly picture that building be used for a preview of Epic Universe like how they did it for Islands of Adventure.
Nah, with the change in citywalk stores they could put the Universal store in that space and use the old store for EU preview center. Lots of eyeballs that way who didn't have to pay to see it. (might spend a bit on CW while there though......)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom