Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

lebeau

Toon Lagoon REALLY needs to be put out to pasture - I'm old and even I barely remember Dagwood, Beetle Bailey, Hagar, etc. and some of them I don't have any clue to who they are. Time to completely redo that area, leave Popeye rafts and blow up the rest.

I am old enough to remember reading the Sunday funnies. I know those characters well, but that's hardly a prerequisite to enjoy the cartoony land. My kids have no idea who any of those characters are with the exception of Popeye (they have seen a few clips) and they love Toon Lagoon.

So, no. I do not think it needs to be put out to pasture. It's definitely a prime candidate for an update, but it's very far from a need.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am old enough to remember reading the Sunday funnies.

Did you ever laugh at any of them? Did someone ever say "What are you laughing at?" and you say "Beetle Bailey!"

IP is supposed to enhance the attractions, not just be a neutral background.

WDWFREAK53

Did you ever laugh at any of them? Did someone ever say "What are you laughing at?" and you say "Beetle Bailey!"

Well, for the record, I don't think I ever laughed at Mickey Mouse either.
Goofy? Donald? Chip/Dale, yes. Mickey and Minnie? Nope.

lebeau

Sure. Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County were my favorites. I would glance at Marmaduke and Family Circus. They never made me laugh but they ran for decades because someone loved them.

IP is mostly meaningless. See also: Splash Mountain.

WDWFREAK53

I also don't see Universal clamoring to put a Beetle Bailey attraction in.
Dudley Do-Right and Popeye had long-running cartoons.

I do, however, feel that this land needs to be updated the most (aside from the remnants of Lost Continent).
Marvel Superhero Island is feeling really dated since the movies as well.

lebeau

I also don't see Universal clamoring to put a Beetle Bailey attraction in.
Dudley Do-Right and Popeye had long-running cartoons.

I do, however, feel that this land needs to be updated the most (aside from the remnants of Lost Continent).
Marvel Superhero Island is feeling really dated since the movies as well.

If you're looking to overhaul a land at Universal, Toon Lagoon at IOA and KidZone at USF are the prime candidates.

Fans are always looking to overhaul lands but the people paying the bills are a lot less inclined to do so. With everything going on (current events, a new park, etc) I don't see Universal spending money to license a new property and redo a land that is currently serving its intended function. I expect the existing parks to continue getting updates over the next few years but a new land would be surprising.

The movies don't really make MSI feel dated to me. They are never going to use those MCU looks anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing the art updated from the 90's designs. Fortunately Adam Kubert's art has aged a lot better than other artists from that time period. Also, MSI was built when "immersive" was less of a priority. Instead of putting you in a realistic environment, the idea was to evoke a sense of comic book art come to life. I still feel like MSI accomplishes.

RobWDW1971

If you're looking to overhaul a land at Universal, Toon Lagoon at IOA and KidZone at USF are the prime candidates.

Fans are always looking to overhaul lands but the people paying the bills are a lot less inclined to do so. With everything going on (current events, a new park, etc) I don't see Universal spending money to license a new property and redo a land that is currently serving its intended function. I expect the existing parks to continue getting updates over the next few years but a new land would be surprising.

The movies don't really make MSI feel dated to me. They are never going to use those MCU looks anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing the art updated from the 90's designs. Fortunately Adam Kubert's art has aged a lot better than other artists from that time period. Also, MSI was built when "immersive" was less of a priority. Instead of putting you in a realistic environment, the idea was to evoke a sense of comic book art come to life. I still feel like MSI accomplishes.
Agree - have never had an issue with MSI and now it feels even more like a comic book in contrast to the Marvel cinematic universe. To me, that is even a better argument to remove Toon Lagoon as it is one set of cartoon character flats followed by another on the same side of the park.

lebeau

Can they expand Marvel Island or are they only allowed to maintain it?

That's a subject of debate. I have read the contract (you can find it online) and it allows Universal to expand MSI pending approval from Marvel. Marvel is required to approve "appropriate use" of the characters so long as Universal remains consistent with the way the characters are presented in the comics. So, no making Captain America a Nazi... oh no wait... um... anyway...

Any disagreements between Marvel and Universal have to be settled via arbitration. It's likely these kinds of disagreements have happened and we are unaware of them. I am willing to bet Universal went to arbitration over Disney's use of the GotG at Epcot. We'll never know how the rules have been redefined by arbitration process since Disney bought Marvel.

I have a hard time believing Disney would be allowed to shut down any reasonable updates Universal wanted to make. It seems more likely to me that Universal has decided that updating MSI is a relatively low priority.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's a subject of debate. I have read the contract (you can find it online) and it allows Universal to expand MSI pending approval from Marvel. Marvel is required to approve "appropriate use" of the characters so long as Universal remains consistent with the way the characters are presented in the comics. So, no making Captain America a Nazi... oh no wait... um... anyway...

Any disagreements between Marvel and Universal have to be settled via arbitration. It's likely these kinds of disagreements have happened and we are unaware of them. I am willing to bet Universal went to arbitration over Disney's use of the GotG at Epcot. We'll never know how the rules have been redefined by arbitration process since Disney bought Marvel.

I have a hard time believing Disney would be allowed to shut down any reasonable updates Universal wanted to make. It seems more likely to me that Universal has decided that updating MSI is a relatively low priority.

Well, I'm not privy to the newer contract, but the original did, as you say, allow for expansion (but not for brand new areas). So, *technically*, Marvel Island could just be kept expanding, even taking over Toon Lagoon.

There was scuttlebutt that a few years ago IOA was considering a new ride based in Iron Man in an expansion of MSI, but it was scrapped.

lebeau

Agree - have never had an issue with MSI and now it feels even more like a comic book in contrast to the Marvel cinematic universe. To me, that is even a better argument to remove Toon Lagoon as it is one set of cartoon character flats followed by another on the same side of the park.

Yeah, that's definitely true. The lands have a lot in common and Marvel is a lot more relevant than Sunday comic strips. Replacing TL with something like LotR would address that. I just don't expect Universal to commit the resources to make such an update. They own the rights to the Ward characters and Kings Features. At the time, Universal saw these IPs as the key to combating Disney. I don't see them tossing out something they bought and paid for in order to spend more money for a more expensive IP and then the expense of rebuilding a functional land. Especially right now.

The_Jobu

Well, I'm not privy to the newer contract, but the original did, as you say, allow for expansion (but not for brand new areas). So, *technically*, Marvel Island could just be kept expanding, even taking over Toon Lagoon.

There was scuttlebutt that a few years ago IOA was considering a new ride based in Iron Man in an expansion of MSI, but it was scrapped.

Reminds me of a long way back when they stuck a Marvel HHN house in the island but Marvel demanded it closed pretty quick.

At least, that was the rumour.

lebeau

I see what you did there... :hilarious:

Marvel comics (the actual comics) are kind of disaster right now, I dont want to kick them while they're down!

The entire comic book industry is facing an existential crisis at the moment. Comic shops which make up the direct market are mostly shuttered and many will not survive. DC and Marvel can't take new comics to the printer so everything is on hold. I have heard speculation that Disney will decide to shut Marvel down and license the characters to other publishers like they do with Disney characters. Not sure I buy into that, but the industry will be changed by this for sure.

Even before that, Marvel was struggling. Last year I got a subscription to Marvel Unlimited which I enjoyed and I highly recommend to anyone interested in digital comics. I spent most of the year catching up on the last several years of Marvel and it was really hard to navigate. They rebooted their line about every 18 months. One event lead into another and they kept disrupting ongoing storylines. Just a real mess.

When my subscription ran out I was just getting to Marvel: Legacy which was definitely an effort to recreate the success of DC Rebirth. It seemed to be off to a good start. At some point in the future I plan to get another year-long subscription and catch up again

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

In my opinion the existing do-overs are (in order based on need):
1. Shrek
2. KidZone
3. Lost Continent
4. World Expo
4. Toon Lagoon.
5. USF Entrance Plaza

The only thing I would add to your list is an update to the Jurassic Park Discover Centre and River Adventure, both of which will look even more tired next to the new coaster. I would put it between KidZone and Lost Continent (now a 1/3 of what it was on opening day).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom