Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

The Pho

I don't think AR glasses are ready yet. I don't exactly follow the development super closely but to my knowledge there isn't a product on the market that can achieve the kind of 180 degree augmented reality Universal would need to make it an immersive experience. The AR glasses I'm aware of project a rather limited box of augmented content that is useful for things like phone notifications, but not for an immersive experience akin to VR.

The best there is right now is Hololens 2, and I just don't see Universal going for it.
g8jsgRHCEdnjVfBghBsMrH-970-80.jpeg

RE3oya0

Basically, the projection takes up on a small portion of your field of view meaning that the application of the content is very limited and it isn't ready for immersive experiences yet. Further the devices are all very clunky as well as expensive. $3,500 a piece and due to their electronics, they can't be mass-cleaned like 3d glasses.

Perhaps this is a planned future addition?
There are other cheaper options. I don’t think field of view is all that important for this application. For Mario Kart all you need is a HUD like AR that could also manage some animations, and those exist for far less than Hololens. I have a few pairs built into my ski goggles, that do it a few different ways and work quite well. I don’t see them using it extensively but it’s certainly a feasible option.

Stripes

With a ride vehicle you don’t have to do stand alone units that people wear directly on their face.
This was my belief as well, that they would utilize a window-based AR system like Disney's upcoming Spiderman ride.
asdkjfh32o4324.jpg

But the purported ride vehicle doesn't have a window.
There are other cheaper options. I don’t think field of view is all that important for this application. For Mario Kart all you need is a HUD like AR that could also manage some animations, and those exist for far less than Hololens. I have a few pairs built into my ski goggles, that do it a few different ways and work quite well. I don’t see them using it extensively but it’s certainly a feasible option.
The problem with a limited augmented field of view is that if the rider turns their head, or isn't looking the right direction, the image will be cut off in a rather bizarre way. Maybe they just want the glasses to be used to overlay a simple video, which would be a reasonable use of today's technology, but it seems like way too much hassle for a mediocre effect that would look terrible if you weren't looking the right way (Imagine, a guest is looking to their right while the vehicle is moving forward, while the AR headset displays a banana getting closer and closer. The physics don't make any sense.) Given the fact you have to wear glasses, the effect ultimately would be a net negative for the attraction experience for a lot of people. Certainly for myself.

Or, as I gave the example, they would use the bulky headset with a limited field of view and use eye tracking and head tracking, but the display would show this if you weren't looking straight ahead.
Red_Shell_-_Mario_Kart_Wii.png

Last edited:

The Pho

The problem with a limited augmented field of view is that if the rider turns their head, or isn't looking the right direction, the image will be cut off in a rather bizarre way. Maybe they just want the glasses to be used to overlay a simple video, which would be a reasonable use of today's technology, but it seems like way too much hassle for a mediocre effect that, given the fact you have to wear glasses ultimately would be a net negative for the attraction experience for a lot of people. Certainly for myself.
If they use proper AR glasses, when you turn your head the AR is still in front of you. They can build it into the glasses so it projects in front of you wherever you look. It’s not like 3D where you have to look at the right angle, the tech is on your face not a screen. Some of them do it by projecting the image onto an intermittent screen in the glasses, the glasses themselves, or even right onto your eyeball. If they do it with just screens, then field of view comes into play.

Stripes

They can build it into the glasses so it projects in front of you wherever you look.
I get that, and if they're truly implementing AR I'd bet that's what they do. The obvious problem is that the display will show a static video regardless of where someone is looking, even if the image wouldn't make any logical sense given where the guest is looking.

I speak for myself when I say that I'd rather ride without glasses if that were the case.

The Pho

I get that, and if they're truly implementing AR I'd bet that's what they do. The obvious problem is that the display will show a static video regardless of where someone is looking, even if the image wouldn't make any logical sense given where the guest is looking.

I speak for myself when I say that I'd rather ride without glasses if that were the case.
Why does it have to be a static video?

Stripes

Why does it have to be a static video?
Well, if as you said, the content is projected no matter where you look, there would be no point in calibrating eye and head tracking.

Also, by static I mean fixed in virtual space, not like a still image.

This is a bit of a complicated subject so I understand if we somehow got our wires crossed.

The Pho

Well, if as you said, the content is projected no matter where you look, there would be no point in calibrating eye and head tracking.

Also, by static I mean fixed in virtual space, not like a still image.

This is a bit of a complicated subject so I understand if we somehow got our wires crossed.
It should be built to mimic a video game, they’d build a 3D world and utilize the AR to grant us access into that. It’d be more like the AR is functioning like a VR system but with limited items in the world rather than a full virtual world. So everybody would see the same objects doing the same things. I’ve used systems that can do this, they could certainly make this function if they wanted. I don’t think we’re actually all that far off from each other here...

BubbaQuest

I was confused by the article I read. It mentioned SNW will be in Epic Universe. Epic Universe is scheduled for 2023, but SNW is not guaranteed for park open. Anyone have more details?

lebeau

trr1

bioreconstruct

@bioreconstruct

Aerial view of where parking is planned for Universal's Epic Universe. One of the access is planned where a construction entrance is now at Destination Pwy (at right). At center of this photo is a recently added construction parking lot.
1579907521363.png

Aerial views of where Universal will be building warehouses and office buildings along Turkey Lake Road. Supporting both the North and South sections of Universal Orlando, but located the North of Universal's Epic Universe theme park.
1579907582448.png
1579907594097.png

Aerial views of the curved easement set aside for the 1.7 mile long $125 Million extension of Kirkman Road at Universal's Epic Universe.
1579907637304.png
1579907654950.png

Aerial views of roller coaster track staged in Universal's Epic Universe site. Likely for an unannounced project in progress in Jurassic Park; in Islands of Adventure, 3 miles Northeast.
1579907699497.png
1579907712421.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom