Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

MerlinTheGoat

Has it been confirmed if the DK land will feature the Kremlings or the Tikis from DK country returns.
Officially there hasn't been any confirmation. But my advice is not to get your hopes up for the Kremlings if you were hoping they'd appear. It is very obvious that the DK area is themed around the Returns and Tropical Freeze games specifically.

The original piece of concept art released back in 2017 showcased several of the Screaming Tiki pillars as well as some of animal enemies from Returns and the Snowmads from Tropical Freeze. No Kremlings in sight.

The model of the DK area is revised a little and includes fewer character details. Again no Kremlings are seen. However, you can still spot one of the Screaming Tiki pillars near the bottom right corner, the coaster track making a curve around it. The environment scenery is clearly based on Returns. DK's treehouse, the crashed airplane and the surrounding temple environment are all clearly using the designs from the newer games.

The one detail that has spurred some interest is the appearance of an elephant in the model (just to the upper right of Rambi). There are elephants in Returns as well, but this particular one appears to be Ellie the Elephant from DKC3. Her design is different and unique from the Returns elephants. So perhaps there's some hope the land will reference characters from the SNES trilogy as well. King K Rool was also added as a playable character to Super Smash Bros Ultimate a year ago (there was a lot of demand from fans) and has proven to be popular. So perhaps the Kremlings will make an appearance in the land in some form...

tribbleorlfl

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

An old scan of an © Orlando Sentinel article where Universal was selling off 2,100 acres of land. It was a different time financially, and UOR eventually sold it all off. Few years ago UOR bought back hundreds of these same acres to develop Universal's Epic Universe.
View attachment 423440
I still remember around the time IOA opened, they had a large map of the master plan in the wardrobe building with this property labeled as "future theme park development." There was pretty widespread disappointment amongst the TMs when the selloff was announced.

The Grand Inquisitor

Officially there hasn't been any confirmation. But my advice is not to get your hopes up for the Kremlings if you were hoping they'd appear. It is very obvious that the DK area is themed around the Returns and Tropical Freeze games specifically.

The original piece of concept art released back in 2017 showcased several of the Screaming Tiki pillars as well as some of animal enemies from Returns and the Snowmads from Tropical Freeze. No Kremlings in sight.

The model of the DK area is revised a little and includes fewer character details. Again no Kremlings are seen. However, you can still spot one of the Screaming Tiki pillars near the bottom right corner, the coaster track making a curve around it. The environment scenery is clearly based on Returns. DK's treehouse, the crashed airplane and the surrounding temple environment are all clearly using the designs from the newer games.

The one detail that has spurred some interest is the appearance of an elephant in the model (just to the upper right of Rambi). There are elephants in Returns as well, but this particular one appears to be Ellie the Elephant from DKC3. Her design is different and unique from the Returns elephants. So perhaps there's some hope the land will reference characters from the SNES trilogy as well. King K Rool was also added as a playable character to Super Smash Bros Ultimate a year ago (there was a lot of demand from fans) and has proven to be popular. So perhaps the Kremlings will make an appearance in the land in some form...
Thanks for the reply! My brother is a huge Nintendo fan and was disappointed that the land would be based around the tikis and not the kremlings. Personally I do not care, The land looks great regardless who is the villain!

MerlinTheGoat

Thanks for the reply! My brother is a huge Nintendo fan and was disappointed that the land would be based around the tikis and not the kremlings. Personally I do not care, The land looks great regardless who is the villain!
When playing the games, I definitely prefer the Kremlings. They're way cooler enemies IMO. Also prefer the darker atmosphere of the SNES trilogy too. I'm not quite as picky about which characters they go with in the land itself, though would have preferred the Kremlings. It was most important however to really nail the surrounding environment. What i've seen from the models so far looks to be quite excellent. They've got all the right theming, jungle with DK's treehouse, the temple ruins and the minecart coaster. These are good representations of both the old and new DKC games. I'm also looking forward to seeing the DK area at night (in regards to admiration for the SNES trilogy's darker atmosphere).

But it is still possible the Kremlings will appear in some form. Like I said, King K Rool has gotten a lot of positive attention lately with his inclusion in Smash Bros. Nintendo is well aware by now that there's a huge fanbase for the Kremlings. As far as I know, the Donkey Kong area is supposedly going to be exclusive to Orlando's Super Nintendo World (for now anyways), and Orlando's is still quite a few years away. Who knows what could change by then?

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

When playing the games, I definitely prefer the Kremlings. They're way cooler enemies IMO. Also prefer the darker atmosphere of the SNES trilogy too. I'm not quite as picky about which characters they go with in the land itself, though would have preferred the Kremlings. It was most important however to really nail the surrounding environment. What i've seen from the models so far looks to be quite excellent. They've got all the right theming, jungle with DK's treehouse, the temple ruins and the minecart coaster. These are good representations of both the old and new DKC games. I'm also looking forward to seeing the DK area at night (in regards to admiration for the SNES trilogy's darker atmosphere).

But it is still possible the Kremlings will appear in some form. Like I said, King K Rool has gotten a lot of positive attention lately with his inclusion in Smash Bros. Nintendo is well aware by now that there's a huge fanbase for the Kremlings. As far as I know, the Donkey Kong area is supposedly going to be exclusive to Orlando's Super Nintendo World (for now anyways), and Orlando's is still quite a few years away. Who knows what could change by then?
I absolutely agree! :)

trr1

bioreconstruct

@bioreconstruct

·
Nov 25

If you're the adventurous type, like long walks, and are also curious to see Universal's Epic Universe, it's possible to take a ride share to a trail head then walk along Destination Pwy for ride share out from a shopping plaza.

1574894426385.png

1574894436359.png

trr1

bioreconstruct

@bioreconstruct

·
Dec 20

Aerial view of the North portion of Universal's Epic Universe. Much pipe staged for utilities in the site. Area along Sand Lake Rd (at left) already approved for warehouses and offices.
1577104183684.png

Aerial view of, at center, wide berm in site of Universal's Epic Universe. Not far away, a less wide berm topped with bamboo. The both berms can be seen from Universal Blvd. Note also the (Jurassic Park) roller coaster track staged in the site.
1577104217456.png

Aerial view of bamboo on a berm at property line of Universal's Epic Universe. Note also what appears to be topsoil being layered over a layer of sand added previously.
1577104263149.png

Aerial overview, southern part of Universal's Epic Universe. Do you see start of a berm? Also seen, yet more dirt piled in the site. Also (Jurassic Park) roller coaster track staging.
1577104299632.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom