Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

lebeau

But back to the future is getting a musical next year just saying even if it’s not coming to the fourth park the franchise is timeless. Just my opinion. Not everyone agrees I know.

Don't get me wrong. I like those movies. When I was a kid, I loved them. They were two of my favorite movies of all times when I was a teenager. But that was over thirty years ago. They aren't terribly relevant any more. Most people going to Universal will have no idea there's a Back to the Future musical. I'm a fan and this is the first I am hearing of it. Yes, there is going to be a Ghostbusters reboot, but I don't think Universal wants to gamble an entire land on that being a hit. Especially after the last reboot. Maybe, if it's a smash, it will be incorporated into the parks at some point in the distant future. But the odds are really slim.

(Sidenote: On my blog I write a series called Let It Die about franchises that I think are better off left alone. It's a relatively young series without a lot of entries, but I have covered both Ghostbusters and Back to the Future.)

I am super excited for the Universal Classic Monsters Land and those guys are old as dirt. So it's not about age. It's about relevance and how likely these properties are to be relevant in ten years. Or twenty. The "future" in Back to the Future was four years ago. That's not the definition of timeless no matter how great the first movie was. And Ghostbusters may have a moment when the new movie comes out. But unless it catches fire in a big way, people won't be clamoring for a Ghostbusters land. The HHN house will be nice for fans though.

Don't get me wrong. I like those movies. When I was a kid, I loved them. They were two of my favorite movies of all times when I was a teenager. But that was over thirty years ago. They aren't terribly relevant any more. Most people going to Universal will have no idea there's a Back to the Future musical. I'm a fan and this is the first I am hearing of it. Yes, there is going to be a Ghostbusters reboot, but I don't think Universal wants to gamble an entire land on that being a hit. Especially after the last reboot. Maybe, if it's a smash, it will be incorporated into the parks at some point in the distant future. But the odds are really slim.

(Sidenote: On my blog I write a series called Let It Die about franchises that I think are better off left alone. It's a relatively young series without a lot of entries, but I have covered both Ghostbusters and Back to the Future.)

I am super excited for the Universal Classic Monsters Land and those guys are old as dirt. So it's not about age. It's about relevance and how likely these properties are to be relevant in ten years. Or twenty. The "future" in Back to the Future was four years ago. That's not the definition of timeless no matter how great the first movie was. And Ghostbusters may have a moment when the new movie comes out. But unless it catches fire in a big way, people won't be clamoring for a Ghostbusters land. The HHN house will be nice for fans though.
Yeah it would be nice if the ghostbusters HHN maze does well. If that’s what they end up making it as just a haunt then that’s fine. It’s just odd a new movie is coming out and if this is the last we will see of ghostbusters at Universal at the HHN then so be it. But you have to wonder if classic monsters comes over to the 4th park which it will Ghostbusters would be a nice fitting piece even though it isn’t total horror it’s comedy horror and it could fit perfectly. Nope I’m not on inside Universal you got the wrong guy bud!

lebeau

It’s not 1977 anymore, yet Disney just opened a Millennium Falcon ride.
The design of the millennium falcon is from the Force Awakens which was released in 2015

Exactly. Star Wars is a whole lot more relevant than Back to the Future or even Ghostbusters. As I said earlier, it's not strictly and age thing. There are older properties that remain more relevant and younger properties that have already left the public consciousness. It's relevance. Ideally, a property that is going to be the basis for a theme park land should be popular twenty years from now. I don't think Back to the Future or Ghostbusters will be. Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Marvel probably will endure.

trr1

Exactly. Star Wars is a whole lot more relevant than Back to the Future or even Ghostbusters. As I said earlier, it's not strictly and age thing. There are older properties that remain more relevant and younger properties that have already left the public consciousness. It's relevance. Ideally, a property that is going to be the basis for a theme park land should be popular twenty years from now. I don't think Back to the Future or Ghostbusters will be. Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Marvel probably will endure.
Ghostbusters (2016), and on the way Ghostbusters 2020

imperius

I don’t think Fantastic Worlds is going to be having any standalone attractions. Each will be a highly themed land and Back to the future doesn’t really fit. They are not making a nostalgia land or a BTTF only land. I love BTTF but it’s time to move on for theme parks.

s8film40

BTTF and Ghostbusters is just as relevant, Star Wars is just a bigger property that’s all.

ToTBellHop

BTTF and Ghostbusters is just as relevant, Star Wars is just a bigger property that’s all.
My college students do not understand analogies involving BTTF or Ghostbusters. In the case of the latter, although there was a 2016 film, it was not successful and was quickly forgotten.

s8film40

My college students do not understand analogies involving BTTF or Ghostbusters. In the case of the latter, although there was a 2016 film, it was not successful and was quickly forgotten.
I'm sure the 2020 film will be far ore popular. The 2016 film was a big mistake and didn't really help things. You have abnormal college students. I see college aged people all the time wearing Ghostbusters and BTTF stuff, kids as well.

lebeau

Ghostbusters (2016), and on the way Ghostbusters 2020

The 2016 movie went so well... that Sony had to reboot Ghostbusters again 4 years later. I know people are excited for Ghostbusters 2 because it will tie in more directly to the original. But Ghostbusters 2 was a direct sequel with the entire creative team and cast returning and it was a misfire. These kinds of movies are really hard to pull off. Ivan Reitman and company couldn't catch lightning in a bottle twice (Reitman even tried again with the Ghostbusters clone, Evolution), the odds that his son can succeed where he failed are not great.

I won't prejudge GB2020 until I see it, but I also wouldn't build an expensive theme park land based on the assumption that it will be a massive success.

That's absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

trr1

Clearly they need to go with Tenma San Ga Yuku, Sony's very original specter-busting tv show.
The Ghost Busters is a live-action children's sitcom that ran in 1975, about a team of bumbling detectives who would investigate ghostly occurrences. Fifteen episodes were produced.[1] The show reunited Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch in roles similar to their characters in F Troop.

The series is unrelated to the 1984 film Ghostbusters (though Columbia Pictures did pay Filmation for a license to use the title). Like the film, the series spawned its own animated sequel in 1986.

The series utilizes slapstick, with scenes centered on the perpetual bumbling of the characters, good and evil alike. The series also makes references to classic cinema; the names "Spencer" and "Tracy" were taken from the actor Spencer Tracy, while the name Kong – not given to the gorilla – was a clear homage to King Kong.

lebeau

That’s your opinion. Just look at the merchandise these properties can still sell. In my opinion to say BTTF and Ghostbusters isn’t relevant requires a great deal of ignorance of the world around you.

I didn't say they weren't relevant. But to say they are as relevant as one of the current highest-grossing movie franchises in the world is insane.

They are relevant enough to sells toys, T-shirts and video games. So is The Breakfast Club, The Goonies, Gremlins and at least a dozen other movies I grew up with. Doesn't mean Footloose Land is a good idea.

s8film40

I didn't say they weren't relevant. But to say they are as relevant as one of the current highest-grossing movie franchises in the world is insane.

They are relevant enough to sells toys, T-shirts and video games. So is The Breakfast Club, The Goonies, Gremlins and at least a dozen other movies I grew up with. Doesn't mean Footloose Land is a good idea.
I specifically said I didn’t believe it was as popular as Star Wars, and I agree I don’t see a land being a good idea for either of these properties. Some small attractions could work. In fact a Ghostbusters ride opened just a couple years ago. With the new movie it could easily become even more popular.

It’s also worth noting that the news of the Ghostbusters HHN house is currently outperforming the news last year of the Stranger Things house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom