Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

ObscurityPoint

For anyone hating on this park, remember that this is essentially Islands of Adventure just with different IPs. And if you’re going to claim that IOA was “original” just for having Lost Continent, take into consideration the new Monsters world. It’ll be an amazing park, just like IOA.

CJR

Islands of Adventure opened with at least six e-tickets and didn't add anything for 10 years when Hogsmeade was built. They might do then same again and open with a full slate of attractions.

For what it's worth, ownership has changed since then. I would expect them to continue their "one attraction a year" thing, but it'll be spread out among three parks instead of just two. If I had to guess, Nintendo will see the first expansion, once the land becomes the success I expect it to be.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Islands of Adventure opened with at least six e-tickets and didn't add anything for 10 years when Hogsmeade was built. They might do then same again and open with a full slate of attractions.

Wow, I didn't know that, interesting. So what were the 6 E's that opened? Hulk, Spiddy, Jurassic, Dragon Challenge, Popeye Barges. What am I missing?

Jon81uk

For what it's worth, ownership has changed since then. I would expect them to continue their "one attraction a year" thing, but it'll be spread out among three parks instead of just two. If I had to guess, Nintendo will see the first expansion, once the land becomes the success I expect it to be.

Oh I do expect them to add more regularly than they did at IoA, but I also expect UEU to open with a similarly well built park with a decent number of E tickets, even if there isn't enough A-C tickets.

Jon81uk

Wow, I didn't know that, interesting. So what were the 6 E's that opened? Hulk, Spiddy, Jurassic, Dragon Challenge, Popeye Barges. What am I missing?

my thoughts were Hulk, Spiderman, Duelling Dragons, Popeye, Dudley Do-Right Falls and Jurassic River Adventure.
Then Posieden, Cat in the Hat and Sinbad are probably D ticket.

odmichael

my thoughts were Hulk, Spiderman, Duelling Dragons, Popeye, Dudley Do-Right Falls and Jurassic River Adventure.
Then Posieden, Cat in the Hat and Sinbad are probably D ticket.
Don’t forget Dr. Doom. The park is loaded with exciting and well-themed attractions-many for a mature audience which makes it so popular.

Sir_Cliff

I've never seen so many people so willing to draw concrete conclusions from the most vague of concept art, with no actual details given yet... 🤨

It was a disappointing announcement, basically aimed squarely at the GP who weren't already aware of what was going on. While y'all argue over imagined details that were never actually confirmed, I'm still over here waiting for the real ones.

I will say that a whole land dedicated to HTTYD sounds completely ridiculous, which is why I refuse to believe it. I'm not thrilled with Fantastic Beasts either, but I believe it simply because Universal is attached to that franchise at the hip. I suspect we will be seeing a more general Dreamworks land when it's all said and done, with mini-lands dedicated to their biggest franchises. Otherwise we know what's getting replaced first.

I'm also hoping this park doesn't open with just 4 lands. I understand wanting to have space left for expansion, but that is overdoing it. A new park should still have 5 lands minimum. Hopefully they just excluded some big things from the concept art because the details are not set in stone yet.
Just imagine, though, if this was the announcement of a new WDW park. No overarching theme, vague concept art showing all single IP-based lands, and a high-rise hotel as the backdrop to it all? I have a feeling there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth as people declared the Disney theme park officially dead.

dennis-in-ct

The smallish circular building on the right side of the park resembles an entrance to the Space Fantasy coaster at Universal Japan.

Oh wow! I had so idea this ride existed. It does look like a next level Tron-ish or space Mountain type of ride. The ride vehicles appear to spin similar to WDS Paris Turtle Crush coaster.

huwar18

I am not a Universalist and this is really high level nit picking. Who cares if they call it "Universals Big Place of Rides & Entertainment"?
If it turns out good. Besides that, as has already started, we will be abbreviating it down to a couple of letters anyway.

I don’t really think it is picking. I was just agreeing it is a stupid name. Epic is such an overused word.

Edited: darn double negative haha.

Last edited:

BrianLo

The layout and building placement is very accurate. The look is not.

They purposefully obscured the designs of each land so the IP was not apparent. Ie stripping Super Nintendo World of the iconography and castle. Stripping Berk of the recognizable rock work.

The large coaster off the hub seems to be not tied to an IP. More of their "Universe" land.

There is actually simultaneously a lot of detail in the concept art (if you know what lens to look at things) and not a lot of detail. I'm actually pretty happy as I was expecting something way more abstract/less detailed.

shanghai-disneyland.jpg

BrianLo

As someone who has been down on Universal for the better part of 5 years... I am finally really excited.

No it was never going to be more than IOA, but I frankly like IOA. Especially if they execute it really well (which I think they will for the most part).

This is also for the most part a VERY unique park. Which is something I value a lot.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
As someone who has been down on Universal for the better part of 5 years... I am finally really excited.

No it was never going to be more than IOA, but I frankly like IOA. Especially if they execute it really well (which I think they will for the most part).

This is also for the most part a VERY unique park. Which is something I value a lot.

Boy, I'm not sure how you could have been down on Universal after they gave us the best attraction ever created in the history of the world.

Fast and Furious SUPERCHARGED
/s :joyfull:

Capsin4

The giant fountain thing looks like it has amphitheater style seating around it inside the ring of trees. A nighttime spectacular that can be viewed from much of the hotel?

RunningKoen

The name is everything. I think about it like a first impression. Especially when the lands are not officially known.

Names can be important. But I couldnt care less how a themepark is named. If the name is not working for people, nicknames and acronyms will surface directly.

Even if they keep calling it 'Universal's South Expansion Complex', 'Universal Orlando's 3th Gate*' of 'Universal's Extra Park to Compete with WDW'. My impressions (and expectations) of a themepark are based on what is currently unknown. The theming and the rides :)

*4th or 5th depending on what counts as a gate these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom