Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Tom Morrow

Universal better watch out, Disney might open a Mary Poppins carousel in 2023.

Tough competition
Over the next few years, Disney is poised to open:

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Star Wars Land, featuring TWO E-Ticket attractions
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
Tron Lightcycle Coaster
Guardians of the Galaxy coaster

On top of the fact that they already have double the parks that Universal has, they opened new lands in 2017 and 2018, they recently finished overhauling Disney Springs which absolutely and utterly blows CityWalk away, etc.

This will eat into Disney's bottom line when it opens but let's not get all smug and act like Disney will somehow be playing catch up to Universal.

TwilightZone

Over the next few years, Disney is poised to open:

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Star Wars Land, featuring TWO E-Ticket attractions
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
Tron Lightcycle Coaster
Guardians of the Galaxy coaster

On top of the fact that they already have double the parks that Universal has, they opened new lands in 2017 and 2018, they recently finished overhauling Disney Springs which absolutely and utterly blows CityWalk away, etc.

This will eat into Disney's bottom line when it opens but let's not get all smug and act like Disney will somehow be playing catch up to Universal.
Not to mention who knows how simulator city the new park will be.
Considering how simulator heavy the two are already, I wouldn't be surprised.

OG Runner

Universal better watch out, Disney might open a Mary Poppins carousel in 2023.

Tough competition

I really do not know where you head is at. I will start by saying both of Universal parks are great. They both have a fun atmosphere and a good number of fun rides and attractions. They are parks that a number of people have stated they like much more than the Disney parks. However, they are not competition. They are a great alternative. When just one of the Disney parks, (Magic Kingdom), has more
guests than all of your parks together, it is not a competition. I am sure the new park will help, but to make the statement you made,
currently, has no validity.

Tom Morrow

I don't think Universal will ever beat out Disney in terms of attendance and popularity. It would take some serious societal changes, paradigm shifts, and massive screw-ups by Disney for this to happen. Disney as a brand and the Disney Parks experience are just too established and ingrained in society. The third park will eat further into Disney's bottom line, no doubt, but Disney clearly learned from their decade of stagnation and have been aggressively planning and preparing for future competition.

IoA literally has 0 "simulators", unless you count "having a screen" as a simulator.

But the new park (and the next set of attractions in the existing parks) will not be screen heavy.
If a ride uses a screen to simulate movement, as opposed to set enhancement, then it is a simulator. For example, the first two screens on Kong do not convey or simulate movement, but the third does. Islands of Adventure has three dark ride/simulator hybrids.

GLaDOS

If a ride uses a screen to simulate movement, as opposed to set enhancement, then it is a simulator. For example, the first two screens on Kong do not convey or simulate movement, but the third does. Islands of Adventure has three dark ride/simulator hybrids.

:rolleyes:

IOA has two of the best dark rides in the world, and one that is pretty dang good, all of which happen to have some scenes that include some simulation.

FIFY

Timothy_Q

I really do not know where you head is at. I will start by saying both of Universal parks are great. They both have a fun atmosphere and a good number of fun rides and attractions. They are parks that a number of people have stated they like much more than the Disney parks. However, they are not competition. They are a great alternative. When just one of the Disney parks, (Magic Kingdom), has more
guests than all of your parks together, it is not a competition. I am sure the new park will help, but to make the statement you made,
currently, has no validity.
issa joke baby ;)

s8film40

I think everyone is missing the point. It's not about what rides or the quality of rides they're adding (although that's obviously important), it's about competing on the same level. Right now WDW is the Walmart of theme parks. They're by far the biggest, they offer far more and all at the lowest price. If Universal has three parks they begin to encroach on the same level of value as WDW and can transition from being an add-on to a full outright destination. If they eventually add a fourth park (which they seem to now have space for) they will then be on very even footing with WDW. No one has really yet to cross that tipping point in a large scale where WDW could become the add-on. If they have an even or even closer to even number of parks they can then start to do that based on the content of those parks.

Lintemuthstudios

Crosspost from IU forums on what I think this park will be like. Interested to hear this forums predictions compared to the other.

Nintendo:
  1. Mario Kart E-Ticket
  2. Yoshi Omnimover
  3. Donkey Kong Mine-Cart Coaster (same as the old concept, but with added capacity and stability)
  4. Legend of Zelda E-Ticket water-ride
  5. Legend of Zelda puzzle-theater
  6. Play areas dedicated to Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda
  7. Bowser Jr mini-attraction
DreamWorks:
  1. HTTYD family thrill-coaster (launched flyer)
  2. Shrek E-Ticket (trackless, similar to RoTR but less thrilling)
  3. Trolls D-Ticket boat ride
  4. Kung Fu Panda E-Ticket and land from Beijing
  5. Two flat rides
  6. HTTYD show
  7. Parade featuring all IP's
  8. Play areas for Shrek, KFP, Croods
Fantastic Beasts:
  1. Ministry of Magic E-Ticket
  2. Newt's Briefcase family E-Ticket
  3. Interactive wand displays
  4. Street entertainment
Monsters:
  1. E-Ticket Drop-Tower dark-ride hybrid
  2. Year-round HHN haunted house from Hollywood
Various:
  1. WaterWorld show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom