• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Universal's Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Construction Resumed

imarc

Drive down Universal Blvd during convention season + rush hour and it turns into an easy 30 to 45 minute trip from USF/IOA to Epic Universe. Not as easy as it sounds.

It took us 45 minutes one time to get from the Boardwalk to Disney Springs by bus.

Universal just needs to pay for infrastructure improvements like Disney is doing.

The fact of the matter is that it's not a great distance so it's something that can be fixed.

seascape

It took us 45 minutes one time to get from the Boardwalk to Disney Springs by bus.

Universal just needs to pay for infrastructure improvements like Disney is doing.

The fact of the matter is that it's not a great distance so it's something that can be fixed.
Universal is paying for infrastructure. 160 million in fact which is not unusual today for developers to pay for infrastructure. Disney by the way does not pay for all the infrastructure because they do get state funding too.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I hear what you’re saying. It’s not the distance that will be the problem, at least from my perspective. It’s the fact that you are leaving the property. Don’t get me wrong, at the end of the day it’s not the biggest deal in the world. It’s just less than perfect IMO.

Just to point out the difference between going through the city and going down the street. :joyfull:

phillip9698

I never said there aren’t rides. I’ve heard the numbers 15-20 rides thrown around for this park. That’s not what I’m concerned about. I’m concerned about the TYPE of rides they are. A bunch of flat rides/kiddie rides do not make a full day park. They should be there ALONG with a good 7-10 E-ticket attractions, and another 5-7 D tickets.
I also think 4 lands just seems like a small number to open a park with. Maybe the hub area will become a 5th land, but still...Islands opened with 6 lands...Port of Entry, Marvel, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic, Lost Continent, And Seuss. In the long run none of this is important, and if it’s a highly immersive park with fantastic rides, we’re going to love it anyway.

That's a pretty big ask seeing as how only one Disney park in Orlando currently meets that goal.

phillip9698

And that's the park they're using as a goal.

That park got to that point over 50 years. At its current point a good portion of the rides that are called E tickets would not qualify as such if they were built today. So to say Universal should build 10 E and 7 D tickets by 2024 standards on day one and if they don't its "concerning" is just ridicilous by any measure.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

That park got to that point over 50 years. At its current point a good portion of the rides that are called E tickets would not qualify as such if they were built today. So to say Universal should build 10 E and 7 D tickets by 2024 standards on day one and if they don't its "concerning" is just ridicilous by any measure.
By 1976 they had Pirates, Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Presidents, and 20k - that's 7 E's that were there within 5 years of opening (and only Pirates was unplanned). And 12 other attractions were in place (from A too D). DisneySea opening with 7. Tokyo Disneyland had 5 or 6 depending on what you want to count. So its not impossible for the park to open with 7 or more. From what I'm hearing this is an all-out we-want-to-blow-the socks-off I-don't-care-what-it-costs effort, part out of building market share, and part out of "we'll show em" pride.

opshannon

By 1976 they had Pirates, Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Presidents, and 20k - that's 7 E's that were there within 5 years of opening (and only Pirates was unplanned). And 12 other attractions were in place (from A too D). DisneySea opening with 7. Tokyo Disneyland had 5 or 6 depending on what you want to count. So its not impossible for the park to open with 7 or more. From what I'm hearing this is an all-out we-want-to-blow-the socks-off I-don't-care-what-it-costs effort, part out of building market share, and part out of "we'll show em" pride.

I'm not enough of a historian to know differently, so I'll accept that Presidents was an E in 1976. Would any of us consider an attraction like that an E today?

Rich Brownn

I'm not enough of a historian to know differently, so I'll accept that Presidents was an E in 1976. Would any of us consider an attraction like that an E today?
Just goes to show that a definition of "E" is subjective. And yes, its a pretty elaborate attraction still. (Especially the newer version with the seamless screen, the smart move of putting Lincoln in the half-way point).

JT3000

From what I'm hearing this is an all-out we-want-to-blow-the socks-off I-don't-care-what-it-costs effort, part out of building market share, and part out of "we'll show em" pride.

Until the inevitable budget cuts come into the picture anyway...

I'm sure it'll still be a great park, but no one ever builds exactly what they originally planned. Especially with a potential recession looming.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure it'll still be a great park, but no one ever builds exactly what they originally planned. Especially with a potential recession looming.
Its not that the budget will be cut, but that the costs will exceed the budget and stuff has to be cut.

Sometimes they don’t even build what they started building!

Rich Brownn

There will be cuts, sure (especially since everything is still a bit vague). But what's dribbling down to me is this is a project not only of pride, but sort of payback to Disney for using some of Universal's plans for their own park as well as Comcast being thwarted at buying Disney. They're aiming for a DisneySea-level of theming and (if the rumors are true) Oriental Land Company type of budget.

JT3000

There will be cuts, sure (especially since everything is still a bit vague). But what's dribbling down to me is this is a project not only of pride, but sort of payback to Disney for using some of Universal's plans for their own park as well as Comcast being thwarted at buying Disney. They're aiming for a DisneySea-level of theming and (if the rumors are true) Oriental Land Company type of budget.

Hopefully that includes OLC's maintenance budget.

seascape

There will not be a recession in 2020. It probably eont come until late 2021 or 2022. The talk over the weekend was wishgul thinking on the part of some. Anyway, the new gate will not open until 2023 or 2024 and by then we will be out of the recession so there is no need to worry about that causing any budget cuts. The most likely cause of budget cuts are 5G costs and people cutting service with Comcast. 5G will bring in more competition for high speed internet service and lower profit margins.

HmmmmmMMMmm

No chance of that. We're a few years off and Universal is learning more and more to "undersell, over deliver"... which is why the concept art was heavily dumbed down from what the project will actually be before it was released to the public. For those of us who have seen the model, we know that this project will be much more exciting than anything Disney has in the pipeline for the next decade.

Tom Morrow

No chance of that. We're a few years off and Universal is learning more and more to "undersell, over deliver"... which is why the concept art was heavily dumbed down from what the project will actually be before it was released to the public. For those of us who have seen the model, we know that this project will be much more exciting than anything Disney has in the pipeline for the next decade.

Undersell, over-deliver? Let’s look at their track record since Diagon Alley:

Kong - an okay experience, absolutely no one is blown away by it.

Fallon - not good, and completely cheap and lazy and overkill for a park with multiple theater-based simulators already.

Volcano Bay - “the world’s first water theme park because it’ll just be THAT immersive you guys, no seriously!” Oh wait it doesn’t even live up to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach (for theming and immersion at least)

Fast & Furious - objectively one of the worst rides ever made.

Hagrid’s - yes it’s a GREAT ride but it was touted as “the most immersive roller coaster in the world” but it falls short of many, has numerous obvious shortcuts and budget cuts taken. It doesn’t live up to the detail immersion of the rest of the WWoHP.

So yeah, lately it sure seems like Universal’s approach is “promise the world and then go 3/4ths of the way”. If each land in Epic Universe is, say, on par with Diagon Alley, then yes, it’ll be exciting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom