• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Universal's Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Construction Resumed

here was the concept art for IOA
View attachment 396092View attachment 396093
big change from final product
So the only difference here if we are comparing IOA’s final finished concept art to Epic Universe final finished concept art is that IOA first announced their new park as Cartoon World then a few years later they changed the name title to Islands of Adventure and the concept art changed too. But for Universal’s epic universe the official park name will not change it looks like and the concept art from now until 2022-2023 the likelyhood of the lands/worlds will change are very slim we will not see something similar happen to what Cartoon World/IOA had with a ton of changes from DC to all different IP properties like Marvel, Jurassic Park, Lost Continent, Toon Lagoon? I mean do we know for sure if the Epic Universe concept art is the final finished product?

trr1

So the only difference here if we are comparing IOA’s final finished concept art to Epic Universe final finished concept art is that IOA first announced their new park as Cartoon World then a few years later they changed the name title to Islands of Adventure and the concept art changed too. But for Universal’s epic universe the official park name will not change it looks like and the concept art from now until 2022-2023 the likelyhood of the lands/worlds will change are very slim we will not see something similar happen to what Cartoon World/IOA had with a ton of changes from DC to all different IP properties like Marvel, Jurassic Park, Lost Continent, Toon Lagoon? I mean do we know for sure if the Epic Universe concept art is the final finished product?
that was my point exactly the layout for Epic Universe could be way different than the concept art just like the concept art and model was with I.O.A. It had no big lake in the center in the concept

cheezbat

While Epic Universe will be a good park, I hate the name and think it looks like it will still need more than what is shown to really be a full day park. Hopefully if everything in the concept art is legit and in the day one opening lineup, I truly hope they have an expansion planned relatively soon after opening.

Lintemuthstudios

While Epic Universe will be a good park, I hate the name and think it looks like it will still need more than what is shown to really be a full day park. Hopefully if everything in the concept art is legit and in the day one opening lineup, I truly hope they have an expansion planned relatively soon after opening.

I like how everyone is assuming that there's no rides when there is seven rides in How to Train Your Dragon, three in Nintendo, two in Potter, one or two in Monsters, and three or four in the hub area.

that was my point exactly the layout for Epic Universe could be way different than the concept art just like the concept art and model was with I.O.A. It had no big lake in the center in the concept
View attachment 396748View attachment 396751
View attachment 396749
Yes I understand people here think that nothing will change and the park concept art is officially everything is locked into place. But shouldn’t we all know we got a long ways to go before the park officially opens. I mean construction has started but we haven’t seen buildings going up or nothing like that. Your saying 100% sure nothing will change even if it’s minor? We don’t know what’s going to happen. But I have to agree with Trr1. Even though IOA announced the park early this is only 2019 and we don’t know what will happen from 2022-2023. Maybe those open spaces will be stuff added on. All we really know is the the new parks official map hasn’t changed. I’ve heard people say you can only take this concept art map with a grain of salt.

lazyboy97o

Yes I understand people here think that nothing will change and the park concept art is officially everything is locked into place. But shouldn’t we all know we got a long ways to go before the park officially opens. I mean construction has started but we haven’t seen buildings going up or nothing like that. Your saying 100% sure nothing will change even if it’s minor? We don’t know what’s going to happen. But I have to agree with Trr1. Even though IOA announced the park early this is only 2019 and we don’t know what will happen from 2022-2023. Maybe those open spaces will be stuff added on. All we really know is the the new parks official map hasn’t changed. I’ve heard people say you can only take this concept art map with a grain of salt.
You’re not talking about minor changes. You just need to accept that this is the park and your Armchair ideas aren’t happening.

You’re not talking about minor changes. You just need to accept that this is the park and your Armchair ideas aren’t happening.

What you don’t understand is that universal hasn’t officially announced up front as to what the concept art layout will be what the names of the lands or worlds will be. Your talking like your a universal expert or something. You may want to accept this park. But the finished product should actually when the park is fully built. That’s how it works. Their aren’t armchair ideas. This is a rumor and speculation thread. You think changes to concept art are impossible I guess. Honestly to me the IP’s are weak except Classic Monsters. They need more universal title properties in this park IMO more like when the original park opened in the 90’s. Universal is kind of slowly stepping away from its in house properties feel free to disagree.

JusticeDisney

Premium Member
Unlike some others in this thread, I’m going to reserve final judgement until the park actually opens and I get to experience it first hand. That said, there are a few things that kind of stand out to me, even at this very early juncture.

1. Universal, at least in my opinion, almost always does a great job with its parks and for that reason I think this one will be a ton of fun.
2. Having that monstrous hotel as the park icon (or at least the de facto park icon) is not a good look at all.
3. The fact that you are going to have to travel off property and through the city to get to this park from the other parks is a major negative for me.

Anyway, as I said, just my $.02.

imarc

3. The fact that you are going to have to travel off property and through the city to get to this park from the other parks is a major negative for me.

It's not really "through the city" though - it's just a few miles down Universal boulevard.

It likely won't have the cohesiveness since you leave property and reenter, but it's roughly the same distance as Epcot to Magic Kingdom and a lot closer than Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom.

JusticeDisney

Premium Member
It's not really "through the city" though - it's just a few miles down Universal boulevard.

It likely won't have the cohesiveness since you leave property and reenter, but it's roughly the same distance as Epcot to Magic Kingdom and a lot closer than Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom.
I hear what you’re saying. It’s not the distance that will be the problem, at least from my perspective. It’s the fact that you are leaving the property. Don’t get me wrong, at the end of the day it’s not the biggest deal in the world. It’s just less than perfect IMO.

cheezbat

I like how everyone is assuming that there's no rides when there is seven rides in How to Train Your Dragon, three in Nintendo, two in Potter, one or two in Monsters, and three or four in the hub area.
I never said there aren’t rides. I’ve heard the numbers 15-20 rides thrown around for this park. That’s not what I’m concerned about. I’m concerned about the TYPE of rides they are. A bunch of flat rides/kiddie rides do not make a full day park. They should be there ALONG with a good 7-10 E-ticket attractions, and another 5-7 D tickets.
I also think 4 lands just seems like a small number to open a park with. Maybe the hub area will become a 5th land, but still...Islands opened with 6 lands...Port of Entry, Marvel, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic, Lost Continent, And Seuss. In the long run none of this is important, and if it’s a highly immersive park with fantastic rides, we’re going to love it anyway.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
I never said there aren’t rides. I’ve heard the numbers 15-20 rides thrown around for this park. That’s not what I’m concerned about. I’m concerned about the TYPE of rides they are. A bunch of flat rides/kiddie rides do not make a full day park. They should be there ALONG with a good 7-10 E-ticket attractions, and another 5-7 D tickets.
I also think 4 lands just seems like a small number to open a park with. Maybe the hub area will become a 5th land, but still...Islands opened with 6 lands...Port of Entry, Marvel, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic, Lost Continent, And Seuss. In the long run none of this is important, and if it’s a highly immersive park with fantastic rides, we’re going to love it anyway.

The Hub, it seems, will indeed be its own land. It seems it will represent the celestial realms (the 'universe' in Epic Universe) that one traverses to get to the four other lands. The big dual rollercoaster has its entrance facing the hub.

So if there are five 'lands' and they each have an E, D, and C, that's 15 rides right there. DAK only has 5 E's plus another 4. So, 15 rides is enough to start with to make it a full day park. One shouldn't expect a brand new gate to be a 2-day park.

Quinnmac000

And its still more rides that DHS....

Lintemuthstudios

7-10 E-ticket attractions was never going to happen in a brand-new park. Hell, most parks that were built 20-30 years ago still don't have 7 E-tickets! And the hub is the 5th land. So there's five lands (which really was the same amount that IOA opened with because Port of Entry isn't really a land) and that's not small at all.

Mouse Trap

Drive down Universal Blvd during convention season + rush hour and it turns into an easy 30 to 45 minute trip from USF/IOA to Epic Universe. Not as easy as it sounds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom