Universal's Cartoon World

cheezbat

I remember many years ago reading about this and it made me so sad. I’m way more of a DC Comics guy than of Marvel, and while I love Dudley and Popeye, the Looney Tunes were timeless to me. Can’t believe it didn’t happen over an absolutely tiny number.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I remember many years ago reading about this and it made me so sad. I’m way more of a DC Comics guy than of Marvel, and while I love Dudley and Popeye, the Looney Tunes were timeless to me. Can’t believe it didn’t happen over an absolutely tiny number.
I agree I love Islands but having DC and Looney Tunes lands on the scale of Potter would be amazing! I do wonder if Universal would buy WB or maybe CBSViacom?

lazyboy97o

Every project has to eventually get reeled into budget. The talks with Warner Bros. fell apart very early in the parks development, like Blue Sky to Concept Design early, so all of the craziest ideas and the biggest buildout was out there and had yet to be cut down to size. While all of these attractions started development they all would have not survived to opening day.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I would have loved to see the Looney Tunes at some Universal park... so sad it didn't happen.

I'm very surprised of the number of attractions that this land could have had

And also DC Land I think it could have been much better than the Super Hero Island/Marvel
I agree having Looney Tunes and DC would have been amazing. I'm still hoping that WB will start building parks like the one at Abu Dhabi in the US.

cheezbat

Every project has to eventually get reeled into budget. The talks with Warner Bros. fell apart very early in the parks development, like Blue Sky to Concept Design early, so all of the craziest ideas and the biggest buildout was out there and had yet to be cut down to size. While all of these attractions started development they all would have not survived to opening day.
Universal wanted to go big with IOA to go head to head with Disney. I think that most of the stuff that was planned would’ve been built. The only one I really would’ve questioned would be the Mega Batman Stunt Show...Sounded like a super expensive experience. I don’t know if that would’ve made the cut.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Universal wanted to go big with IOA to go head to head with Disney. I think that most of the stuff that was planned would’ve been built. The only one I really would’ve questioned would be the Mega Batman Stunt Show...Sounded like a super expensive experience. I don’t know if that would’ve made the cut.
I agree I think a lot of Cartoon World would have opened and not have cuts.

Fox&Hound

Wow- I had no idea. So sad. And then WB partnered with Six Flags- which is kind of heart breaking. I never understood why an amazing IP like Batman was at such a subpar park. And I grew up with Looney Tunes and it was so popular that its fall from grace is so shocking. Looney Tunes have all but disappeared from the public view and I wonder if this park had been built, if the Looney Tunes classic characters would have still been around.

cheezbat

Wow- I had no idea. So sad. And then WB partnered with Six Flags- which is kind of heart breaking. I never understood why an amazing IP like Batman was at such a subpar park. And I grew up with Looney Tunes and it was so popular that its fall from grace is so shocking. Looney Tunes have all but disappeared from the public view and I wonder if this park had been built, if the Looney Tunes classic characters would have still been around.
It ended up at Six Flags thanks to Time Warner’s ownership of the chain in the 90’s. It just made sense for them to use all their characters in the parks...and after they sold them off, they left Six Flags with the license. Universal could still have gotten in on the goods....they just wanted to be stingy and couldn’t agree to a higher percentage back to Warner Bros. In hindsight, it could’ve made the parks even more profitable.

lazyboy97o

It ended up at Six Flags thanks to Time Warner’s ownership of the chain in the 90’s. It just made sense for them to use all their characters in the parks...and after they sold them off, they left Six Flags with the license. Universal could still have gotten in on the goods....they just wanted to be stingy and couldn’t agree to a higher percentage back to Warner Bros. In hindsight, it could’ve made the parks even more profitable.
Warner Bros. licensing to Six Flags goes back to the 80s through the acquisition of Great America for which Marriott had licensed the Looney Tunes.

cheezbat

Warner Bros. licensing to Six Flags goes back to the 80s through the acquisition of Great America for which Marriott had licensed the Looney Tunes.
That is indeed where it started...and if not for that, I highly doubt we would’ve seen the company roll the characters out nationwide.

Robbiem

i grew up with looney tunes as well. Here in the UK they were as or more popular than Disney in the 80s & 90s. Its really Shocking how they have fallen. I really hope they come back

OG Runner

It definitely would have been cool to see a little more theming in the rides. Six Flags paints a coaster red and blue and calls it a Superman coaster, and paints a coaster green and purple and calls it a Joker coaster. Definitely a waste of the IP. Universal definitely could have done
a better job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom