Universal Studios up for sale

Pioneer Hall

I had a very strong feeling this was going to happen after the sale to Comcast took place. I highly doubt that Comcast is going to pick up the other half of the company when it really seems that they are more concerned with media instead of the parks. I find the licensing issues to be interesting though. If the company switches ownership then they could lose the rights to Harry, Universal name, etc. Going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Pioneer Hall

Maybe this is a play by Blackstone to get 100% ownership in the parks.

Doesn't seem that way at all. Blackstone is effectively giving up their control by making this offer because they are clearly stating they are looking to sell. They now have no choice but to either sell to Comcast or another bidder if the price is right. The only way that it would work for them to get complete control would be to set up another corporation to buy out the other share...which won't be the case. I'm assuming that Blackstone decided that they are heavily invested in the Busch parks aquisition and will be able to use the influx they made from initial Potter profits and the sale to bolster their new division as well as their other ventures.

DocMcHulk

Disney Islands of Adventure. THERE, now stop complaining about Disney not having a 5th gate. ;) (please note the sarcasm)

Pioneer Hall

How will this affect USH since the studios and the park are so intrinsically intertwined ?

Don't think it will at all, because I believe that this only involves the Florida parks. I think that Blackstone only holds a share in the Florida properties.

Pioneer Hall

Im sure the hope that that is the case will have many fan boys frothing at the gash

It is interesting if this could be the case. I am sure there are a number of Disney execs and lawyers frothing as well. I can see Staggs walking into IOA and taking a Spiderman cutout home with him.

Plutoguy

Honestly the the plan in 7 years is for Comcast to have 100% full Ownership of NBC/Universal. Currently they have 51% stake. Comcast has been successful with team franchises like The Philadelphia Flyers and the & 76er's NBA team. They want a theme park for sure and would do quite well with it. Comcast is more than just cable and high speed data, They are also about entertainment. If they feel they can make the park higly profitable all the time then they will do whatever it takes to make it succeed. I think it's a good thing all around for Comcast and Black Stone. This means Uni will truly have some deep pockets to dig into to bring even more exciting and inovative attractions to the park. But first things first. Let's see if Blackstone is just testing the waters or wants to remaine co-theme park holders. Right now a lot of this information is still privy to higher ups in Comcast and has not yet filtered down to employee's/comcasters.

Pioneer Hall

Honestly the the plan in 7 years is for Comcast to have 100% full Ownership of NBC/Universal. Currently they have 51% stake. Comcast has been successful with team franchises like The Philadelphia Flyers and the & 76er's NBA team. They want a theme park for sure and would do quite well with it. Comcast is more than just cable and high speed data, They are also about entertainment. If they feel they can make the park higly profitable all the time then they will do whatever it takes to make it succeed. I think it's a good thing all around for Comcast and Black Stone. This means Uni will truly have some deep pockets to dig into to bring even more exciting and inovative attractions to the park. But first things first. Let's see if Blackstone is just testing the waters or wants to remaine co-theme park holders. Right now a lot of this information is still privy to higher ups in Comcast and has not yet filtered down to employee's/comcasters.

Personally, I don't think Comcast has a ton of interest in the theme parks. I could be wrong, but the impression I get is that they really just want the media out of the deal.

JT3000

Personally, I don't think Comcast has a ton of interest in the theme parks. I could be wrong, but the impression I get is that they really just want the media out of the deal.

People on Disney fan sites have made the exact same assumption about all of Universal's previous owners. Eventually you guys will figure out that the parks are a valuable part of the overall NBC-Universal package and that the company's owners arent always looking to get rid of it like an unwanted piece of trash.

Or will you?

AndyMagic

That isn't the impression I get at all. The current CEO of NBC Universal and the Vice President of Comcast, Steve Burke spoke at length about the theme parks during the acquisition process. Burke is also a known theme park lover and former President of Disneyland Paris. To be honest, I highly doubt Comcast would even think of dumping the Florida resort. If GE didn't get rid of them, as so many assumed they would, why would an actual media company that has shown interest in them do so?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom