Universal Studios Japan to develop Pokémon attractions

Slpy3270

Original Poster
In a big acquisition, Universal Studios Japan has inked a "long-term strategic alliance" with The Pokémon Company to develop attractions based off the Pokémon franchise, beginning as early as 2022 (link in Japanese).

No word yet on if the American and Chinese parks are also involved (though I bet they are in some way), but man, they've got all of Nintendo in the bag now.

Slpy3270

Original Poster
this is huge, if they go global with this they got something
You can be sure they're going to go global. Question is whether or not the agreement gives way for that or if a separate agreement has to be hashed out.

Considering USJ is wholly owned by NBCUni/Comcast, one would think their execs oversaw these negotiations as well.

Sorcerer Mickey

This is big. Those 2022 attractions or experiences are probably small, and I imagine we won't see anything substantial for another four, five, or six years.

Definitely Epic Universe expansion material, though.

Sorcerer Mickey

Me thinks T2 3D and Spider-Man's days are numbered in Japan.

I don't know much about USJ, but making a Pokémon attraction based on the Spider-Man ride system would be a bad idea. They will definitely want to clone this ride in their other parks. Orlando already has two attractions using the same system and layout and Cali has Transformers.

Dear Prudence

In a big acquisition, Universal Studios Japan has inked a "long-term strategic alliance" with The Pokémon Company to develop attractions based off the Pokémon franchise, beginning as early as 2022 (link in Japanese).

No word yet on if the American and Chinese parks are also involved (though I bet they are in some way), but man, they've got all of Nintendo in the bag now.
I have never coveted anything so deeply and so instantly in my entire life.

Rich Brownn

Take over Marvel Island as a whole since they're stuck in a corner regarding what they can and can't do there anyway......
It would never happen because once Universal relinquishes those rights 1) They can never get them back and 2) Will let Disney go nuts with it in Florida.

seascape

It would never happen because once Universal relinquishes those rights 1) They can never get them back and 2) Will let Disney go nuts with it in Florida.
The Marvel rights in Japan are ending this decade. The Orlando rights dont end as long as Universal follows the contract.

Rich Brownn

The Marvel rights in Japan are ending this decade. The Orlando rights dont end as long as Universal follows the contract.
Yeah... the voluntarily gave up the west coast rights, and that didn't work out so well. Fortunately,Disney seems bent on building craptastic Marvel rides.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I wouldn't mind them doing a Pokemon Snap style ride in the vein of something like Toy Story Mania.
So a couple of friends use to work at Universal Creative and over the years I've heard some fun things. Like how there are effects in Gringotts that never worked and were removed, etc. I remember them telling me that when the Nintendo Contract opened one of the first things internal teams proposed was an attraction based on Pokemon Snap, so hopefully they are dreaming big. In actually we shall see i guess

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom