Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Tom Morrow

Elaborate. Does Flight of Passage use any theme park attraction design cliches? DOES IT??

- Nothing "goes wrong"
- You don't end up doing an alternate rescue mission or anything other than what the premise set up
- No bombastic chaos
- No cheesy forced "congratulations! you did it!" fanfare
- Serene and tranquil tone throughout.
- Hardly even feels like an IP-based attraction and most certainly does not require you to have seen the film to understand what's happening.

Let's compare to Gringotts.

- You're here to open an account and take a ride on the Gringotts cart system
- Oh no, something went wrong! Now we have to escape!
- It's literally the biggest event in the history of Gringotts bank!
- Chaos! Chaos! Chaos! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!
- "Thanks for all your help, you guys were so brave and amazing!!"
- Makes zero sense without having read the books / seen the films.

I'd rather have bombastic chaos than the monotonous boredom Flight of Passage offers
It's the only theater-based simulator that produces an actual physical drop sensation, but you're right- sitting completely motionless while characters bark expositionary dialog at you is definitely more fun.

Last edited:

GLaDOS

Yes, much more fun to watch Jimmy Cameron’s make believe National Geographic film while calmly swaying back and forth

JT3000

Elaborate. Does Flight of Passage use any theme park attraction design cliches? DOES IT??

- No bombastic chaos
- Serene and tranquil tone throughout.

You almost get drowned by a wave.

It's the only theater-based simulator that produces an actual physical drop sensation.

Plenty of simulators produce a drop sensation.

It performs more physical movement than every other theater-style motion simulator.

Citation?

Tom Morrow

Plenty of simulators produce a drop sensation.

Citation?

All other theater-based simulators pitch and tilt. As far as I know, Flight of Passage is the only theater sim to also include piston-like up and down movement in combination with pitching and tilting. Maybe Fallon can "drop" you a few inches, but it's nowhere near as drastic. You'd also have to be wearing serious fanboy goggles to think Fallon is better than Flight of Passage.

Last edited:

Mouse3268

Are there any rumors out there of what the lands/areas of this 3rd parks is going to be? I know that Nintendo is essentially confirmed and Fantastic Beasts/Potter appears to be very likely. Any others?

GLaDOS

Are there any rumors out there of what the lands/areas of this 3rd parks is going to be? I know that Nintendo is essentially confirmed and Fantastic Beasts/Potter appears to be very likely. Any others?

These seem to be the leading rumors:
-Nintendo (Mario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong)
-Fantastic Beasts
-Jurassic World
-DreamWorks (Shrek, Trolls, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon)
-Universal Monsters

Tom Morrow

I wish they would ditch DreamWorks. So many theme parks now have DreamWorks IP and it really makes the parks they're in seem generic.

imperius

I wish they would ditch DreamWorks. So many theme parks now have DreamWorks IP and it really makes the parks they're in seem generic.
Parks normal people don’t really go to. How many Disney parks are there? How many Tower of Terrors were there? Tron is being duplicated. When those parks are not in Orlando or even America it really doesn’t mean a thing.

bhg469

I am becoming more and more curious about the people moving aspect of the project. I really want to know what their solution is going to be.

GLaDOS

I am hoping it's something good. One of the things I like about Universal is the lack of sprawl. I don't want to see UOR turn into WDW.

Personally, this is one area I just don't have high hopes. Maybe it's purposefully keeping my expectations low so I'm not heartbroken when all it turns out being is buses, but hey, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than heartbroken haha

lazyboy97o

Anything beyond buses would require the involvement of and coordination between at least the City of Orlando, Orange County, the State of Florida and the federal government. If they do something, that process, which someone would require to be public, would need to be getting started sooner than later.

Stripes

I have a feeling UNI has replicated the layout of the proposed 3rd DLR gate. The layout was also unlike anything we've seen yet.

lebeau

Personally, this is one area I just don't have high hopes. Maybe it's purposefully keeping my expectations low so I'm not heartbroken when all it turns out being is buses, but hey, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than heartbroken haha

I am expecting buses. I won't be disappointed if Universal runs shuttles similar to the way they operate for Volcano Bay or Cabana Bay Beach Resort. I have never waited more than 5 minutes on a Universal bus and they haven't been packed the way Disney buses tend to be. At WDW, 20-40 minute waits are common and the buses frequently are filled to the point where they feel unsafe. It's one of the primary reasons we stopped going.

I understand that buses can be the most efficient means of transportation, I just hope that if Universal uses them they will continue operating at a higher standard taking into consideration the guest experience as well as the bottom line.

bhg469

I am expecting buses. I won't be disappointed if Universal runs shuttles similar to the way they operate for Volcano Bay or Cabana Bay Beach Resort. I have never waited more than 5 minutes on a Universal bus and they haven't been packed the way Disney buses tend to be. At WDW, 20-40 minute waits are common and the buses frequently are filled to the point where they feel unsafe. It's one of the primary reasons we stopped going.

I understand that buses can be the most efficient means of transportation, I just hope that if Universal uses them they will continue operating at a higher standard taking into consideration the guest experience as well as the bottom line.
I agree! Disney is silly for not running more busses and having more drivers. The system works, and it can work amazingly well, they just have to staff it properly. They have the means to fix all their issues with transportation over night, they just choose not to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom