Universal signs deal with Legendary Entertainment

WadesWorld25

I don't disagree, but the problem with that, at least for Universal, is that they already have Transformers in the parks, and Pacific Rim is very similar, at least in appearance. So, how would they distinguish the two?
Hmmm I was thinking about this yesterday and now that this deal is a reality really they can do so much with these ideas. The deal says that Universal and Legendary Pictures are going to create original films so we'll see "original" rides from a Universal film (FINALLY!) and yes I do believe that Pacific Rim or Godzilla or idk BOTH may make a presence at one or both Universal parks.

From what I can tell, when it comes to expansions in both parks we know:
Islands of Adventure may/is replacing: Toon Lagoon & the Lost Continent.

and Universal Studios may/is replacing: Disaster, ET :-(, Shrek 4D, T2?, Fear Factor & Bettlejuice?, and maybe one freakin' day Twister.

That's a lot of land to expand upon not to mention the possible expansion plots between MIB and Simpsons and the employee parking lot. I believe Pacific Rim and Godzilla have homes at either park (preferably Pacific Rim at IOA and Godzilla at USF just to balance out the big bots rides and such). And with those rumors about Kong I would personally be thrilled if both Kong and Godzilla shared a home at USF :)

Or you can make Lost Continent a Toyko city (in ruins) Land and house both Pacific Rim AND Godzilla. Boom haha probably never happen

I do not agree with Smurfs taking over E.T. Not one damn bit. And yes Twister must go. Something ANYTHING replace it just get it out of there it's way past it's time. How much can a ride help with blu ray and dvd sales/rentals from a '96 movie?

But I love Kong, Diagon Alley (although JAWS was my fav ride, it's still a great concept), Transformers, the Wet N' Wild purchase (and all the possibilities with that one), and I love th Legendary Pictures. And the best part: there will still be land left for original Universal movie rides, something we've been missing for far FAR too long.

Universal is under far better leadership and their theme park rides and films will finally reflect that :)

FigmentJedi

I don't disagree, but the problem with that, at least for Universal, is that they already have Transformers in the parks, and Pacific Rim is very similar, at least in appearance. So, how would they distinguish the two?

Well, they already kinda built a Pacific Rim simulator ride for filming the movie. It's just impractical for a theme park.

That said, something that gives you the experience of driving a giant robot to punch a monster in the face would definitely set it apart from Transformers. Something along the lines of this artist's rendering of a Mecha-Godzilla ride.
MechaGodzillaRide2.jpg

FigmentJedi

That's a lot of land to expand upon not to mention the possible expansion plots between MIB and Simpsons and the employee parking lot. I believe Pacific Rim and Godzilla have homes at either park (preferably Pacific Rim at IOA and Godzilla at USF just to balance out the big bots rides and such). And with those rumors about Kong I would personally be thrilled if both Kong and Godzilla shared a home at USF :)

Or you can make Lost Continent a Toyko city (in ruins) Land and house both Pacific Rim AND Godzilla. Boom haha probably never happen

As far as a daikaiju area for IOA containing the three properties in a new mashup AU story, two words: Monster Island.

Also, with Universal possibly having the theme park rights to Kong and Godzilla, the answer is obvious for what an attraction could be: give us the rematch we've been waiting for fifty years to happen on a bigger budget.

WadesWorld25

As far as a daikaiju area for IOA containing the three properties in a new mashup AU story, two words: Monster Island.

Also, with Universal possibly having the theme park rights to Kong and Godzilla, the answer is obvious for what an attraction could be: give us the rematch we've been waiting for fifty years to happen on a bigger budget.

My thoughts exactly via my post. That would be out of this world to finally see that become true.

FLYbyNITE

I agree, In my first thoughts on seeing the trailer (haven’t seen the movie), I thought it could be Disney’s answer to Universal’s Transformers. I had heard that Disney had a relationship with Rim’s director, Guillermo del Toro (he is rumored to be making a movie based on the Haunted Mansion Ride, like Pirates). But then I thought, it would be too dark for Disney, which is why I wasn’t surprised it’s rights were quickly bought up by Universal.

While it does seem very similar to Transformers, it’s ride development will hinge on the success of the franchise (sequel is already planned). I’m sure that the great ride engineers can come up with something entirely different from the transformers ride, just like the two (hopefully) different Harry Potter rides. In an unfortunate time where it seems that the only rides that are being developed are those they can theme around movies, comics, or other media driven ideas, I am sure that if Rim is successful, the ride rumors will start to spread.

FLYbyNITE

....... (FINALLY!) and yes I do believe that Pacific Rim or Godzilla or idk BOTH may make a presence at one or both Universal parks.

:)

Or if you want to dream on a grander scheme, maybe this deal will be the foundation of a possible "third" park built on the recently aquired properties.

AndyMagic

Legendary is particularly interested in theme park integration but I can say with 100% certainty that Pacific Rim is not one of the properties being looked at.

Skunk

Legendary is particularly interested in theme park integration but I can say with 100% certainty that Pacific Rim is not one of the properties being looked at.

Seconded. It's not doing very well in the box office. It's not a total bomb, but it looks like it probably won't recoup it's production + marketing budget in theaters. Although to be fair, it doesn't release in Japan until August; so maybe it'll make it's money back then, when the entire Japanese economy is funneled into box offices on it's release day...

DasManiac

Anybody thinking this means you'll be seeing the DC characters at the Universal Parks can keep on dreaming. Warner Bros. owns DC Comics and they have ended their partnership with Legendary.

luv

Having seen ever Godzilla movie (I think) up until the new ones, I'd be pretty excited to see Godzilla come to the parks. :)

Too bad they can't build a new park and make a giant Godzilla weenie. That would be awesome.

Neph-Neph

Having seen ever Godzilla movie (I think) up until the new ones, I'd be pretty excited to see Godzilla come to the parks. :)

Too bad they can't build a new park and make a giant Godzilla weenie. That would be awesome.
Heh. You said Godzilla weenie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom