Universal Raises 1-Day Ticket to $88

Mouse Detective

Original Poster
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ices-single-park-offering-unlimited-admission

Harry Potter has elevated Universal Orlando to yet another new height: The most expensive theme park in the land.

Universal has raised the price of an adult one-day, one-park ticket to $88 — $3 more than the equivalent ticket to Walt Disney World theme parks. It's also $1 more than the basic price to a theme park at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

The 3.5 percent increase was part of a series of price increases the resort enacted last week, as Universal continues to ride momentum generated by the $265 million Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which opened two years ago in its Islands of Adventure theme park.

"Our pricing reflects the high-quality entertainment experience we offer, while still providing great value," Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said Monday.

Orlando's theme-park resorts historically have raised prices almost in lock step with one another. But Universal had in recent years typically not acted until its larger rival, Disney World, moved first. When Universal raised its base price to $85 last year, it did so only about a week after Disney went to $85.

Most of Universal's other ticket prices also rose last week. The price of a one-day, two-park ticket — allowing access to both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida — also jumped $3, from $120 to $123.

Multiday passes rose by slightly smaller margins: A two-day, single-park pass, for instance, climbed from $135.99 to $139.99, an increase of 2.9 percent.

The price of a two-day, two-park pass rose from $155.99 to $159.99, up 2.6 percent. A three-day, two-park pass inched up from $170.99 to $172.99, up 1.2 percent. And a four-day, two-park pass climbed from $175.99 to $179.99, up 2.3 percent.

The price of Universal's most expensive ticket option — a pass offering unlimited admission to its parks, including the Wet 'n Wild water park, over 14 days — rose from $194.99 to $199.99, up 2.6 percent.

The prices of three- and four-day single-park passes remain unchanged — at $155.99 to $165.99 — suggesting that interest in those ticket options hasn't been as strong as others.

All prices reflect base gate prices, though various discounts are available. For instance, all tickets — excluding single-day passes — are $20 cheaper when purchased online. Discounts are also available for Florida residents and children.

Universal also opted — for at least the second year in a row — to leave unchanged the prices of Florida resident tickets when purchased online.

"Our multi-day tickets are popular, and we always work to provide value where our guests want it most," Schroder said. "That's why our Florida-resident online pricing and three-day and four-day base ticket pricing remains unchanged."
Jason Garcia/Orlando Sentinel

Bob Saget

Ok folks, get it out of your system now.

Remember the same 4-step cycle works for DisneyParks as well:
1). Hear of ticket price increase
2). Whine about ticket price increase
3). Vow to never return because ticket prices are getting too expensive
4). Start planning your next vacation, because face it, you know you'll be going back
. :animwink:
(Repeat Annually)

Captain Chaos

4). Start planning your next vacation, because face it, you know you'll be going back
(Repeat Annually)

:sohappy:

Though, the prices are getting insane... However, you are so freaking right LOL...

JT3000

(Repeat Annually)

This cycle will break eventually. It's not like people's wages are going up to meet the annual price hiking. The parks will eventually pop their own bubble and pay for it. Universal is playing an especially dangerous game, as they don't have the guaranteed customer base of Disney. They actually have to work for their attendance, and they'll likely meet their highest "reasonable" price long before Disney does.

BrinkofSunshine

Does anyone know why the theme parks (especially Universal) don't change ticket prices to reflect projections? I would think it would be much more lucrative to raise ticket prices during the busiest times and drop them during the slow season to entice customers (kind of like the way the Express Pass prices change).. or would this just cause a whole mess of issues?

menamechris

I guess on Friday we can anticipate an announcement from Disney. This will certainly force their hand to raise their ticket price even if it is before they planned. I can't imagine them allowing Universal to have the title of most expensive theme park experience...

maxairmike

Well, that pretty much ensures I won't upgrade my AP to Premier like I was thinking about doing, I'll just sit on my current amazing rate until they force me to change. :lol:

As to a Disney raise...I would actually be more surprised if they met or went above Universal's price. I can see them actually playing the "More for less" game, even if it is just by $1 for a one day one park ticket. They'll probably put it at $87.

GLaDOS

As to a Disney raise...I would actually be more surprised if they met or went above Universal's price. I can see them actually playing the "More for less" game, even if it is just by $1 for a one day one park ticket. They'll probably put it at $87.

But that wouldn't make any sense. That price is for one day-one park. So it's "less for the same", really.

maxairmike

If we're talking DHS or DAK, sure, but Epcot and MK could be spun as "more." And most people who buy one day tickets are probably going to Epcot or MK. Especially with the FLE starting to really open up towards the end of this year, they could push the MK as more of a "value" for that one day.

EDIT: Also, I still can't believe Universal hasn't either really tried to cut down on the misuse and general confusion of WWOHP being a "separate" park or just gone with it and played the value angle with "Two parks in one!" for IOA. Speaking of which, I can't wait for the mass confusion that's sure to happen once the media starts referring to the Potter addition at Studios as yet another park. :brick:

cheezbat

Well, that pretty much ensures I won't upgrade my AP to Premier like I was thinking about doing, I'll just sit on my current amazing rate until they force me to change. :lol:

Wrong.
Word on the street is soon a one day Disney ticket will be $89.00. A dollar more than Universal and 2 dollars more than the Cali parks.

Just wait for it.

Lucky

Does anyone know why the theme parks (especially Universal) don't change ticket prices to reflect projections? I would think it would be much more lucrative to raise ticket prices during the busiest times and drop them during the slow season to entice customers (kind of like the way the Express Pass prices change).. or would this just cause a whole mess of issues?

Good point. You can see WDW has done this more and more with room rates. They have way more "seasons" than they used to, and now they differentiate weekday from weekend room rates.

My guess is they want to keep the MYW ticket pricing - with the per day price falling the longer you stay - and it would just be too complicated to overlay that with an elaborate seasonal schedule.

Matpez

"How come my friend paid $75 to ride Space Mountain but I have to pay $88? What happened to make the ride $13 better this week?"

Between that and over complicating things, I'm sure.

celluloid

Universal Power Pass, unlimited access to both parks for 15 months.....$165.

Disney can't hold a candle to that.

And even the Universal Annual Passes whatever exactly they are now is a good deal.

Because even if you just get the Preferred you get not only free parking but also ten pecent off resturants both quick service and full service as well as ten percent off of merchandise. That is more than what Disney gives with their APs since their resturants won't even honor WDW APs anymore for any discounts.

BrinkofSunshine

Universal Power Pass, unlimited access to both parks for 15 months.....$165.

Disney can't hold a candle to that.

I wouldn't say unlimited as there are blackout dates. But regardless, Universal actually makes it possible for someone to afford an annual pass. As much as I love Disney, it's hard to imagine the families shoveling out thousands of dollars to get annual passes.

Ginzuishou

It is tons of money, but just think of the operating costs of those rides, must be astronomical. I don't like paying that much, but it is justified. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom