Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Crazydisneyfanluke

No it's not but what I was saying is that Disney has protocols for when a hurricane is coming and they need to prepare for it they get the parks ready in an expedited time frame. They could have if they wanted to and in this case and obviously after today’s announcement July is it this gives them roughly 6 weeks to prepare.

Still lots of unanswered questions need to be addressed DVC, Resorts, Water Parks, APH's, ect...... I am sure in the coming days more information from Disney will trickle out but Guess what we Now know when they will open.
The protocols for a hurricane is a lot different to now. They cant give it less than a day to open. They have to strategically lay out the plans, ensure they are correct and then implement them. They wouldn't have done that in a expedited time frame even if they wanted to.

The answers to the unanswered questions will be addressed with time. They can't make a major decision in a few days. Patience.

lazyboy97o

I’m not going to address the other same tired arguements but I haven’t seen this false argument on this board yet so I’m going to address this argument, ladies and gentlemen I give you a lesson in respiratory physiology, meet a lung volume chart:

View attachment 473125

Those pink waves represent how much volume we take in when we breathe, the little waves are quiet breathing (aka Tital Volume) which is approximately 500mL of gas or 1 pint of gas. The big one is the maximum air we can inhale and exhale. The Inspiratory capacity is 2.5-3.5 Liters, that means that we can inhale an additional 2-3 liters (.5 to 1 gallon) of gas when we need to over quiet breathing.

Notice how even if you do a maximum exhale you don’t get close to 0 for lung volumes. You have dead space that can never be exalted, and in quiet breathing that level is even higher. Therefore no matter what old moist CO2 laden air remains in your lung and that’s the air that you actually breathe (as when you inhale it’s the gas that gets pushed the furthest in.)

A mask in the grand scheme of things will at most hold a cup of gas (250 mL and that’s being generous) so you are at worst only increasing your dead space by that fraction but seeing as you have a reserve of 8-16 cups is extremely doable and won’t hurt you in the slightest. I would bookmark a physiology teaching site, but they are easy to google, and there is a ton of them.

To recap: you always breathe in warm moist CO2 laden air, that’s how our lungs work!
Please stop spreading science. I have a right to my irrational, illogical fears and you can't tell me facts.

Serverfarm

Weird Chapek interview. Though the CNBC biz community just loves the guy. "We're following everything that the gov. wants", which is nothing, really, a rubber stamp. He says "capacity a function of 6ft distance": really, they put a 6x6 grid over MK and counted every other box? Just give us a # (12K), nevermind he wants max capacity. Springs opening with "great" enthusiasm? Really?

Basically, Disney is following bare minimums of what the state wants. They already got liability removed, so open the flood gates. It's unlike them as they always go above and beyond when it comes to service. FL gov's requirements are nothing compared to other states: I see all resorts open by labor day. Not using Shanghai data cause of the gov. not trusting it is just plain stupid if true. Enforcing face masks is a nothingburger, it's a secondary measure: distancing is the more critical.

As of late, Uni, *again*, did the right thing: kept nearly everyone employed (reduce pay), submitted a state plan asap and now, can rapidly open ahead of Disney. It's now obvious Disney and Universal were not collaborating on reopening.

Seanual757

The protocols for a hurricane is a lot different to now. They cant give it less than a day to open. They have to strategically lay out the plans, ensure they are correct and then implement them. They wouldn't have done that in a expedited time frame even if they wanted to.

The answers to the unanswered questions will be addressed with time. They can't make a major decision in a few days. Patience.

Not really it's about the prep work it's all in the prep it could have been done no question. My take after watching the presentation and as a member pointed out yesterday I think Disney was totally unprepared to open up this summer. As dumb as that sounds maybe they were hoping for a fall opening.

All of that does not matter now all that matters is what and how things go moving forward.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
That announcement makes me believe there was a lot more truth in @WDW Pro post than many will ever admit. That was not a company that wanted to open their parks even a month and a half after UO.

The biggest takeaway is that Universal has pushed them to open all parks much faster than desired. Epcot and Hollywood Studios are challenges for different reasons (staffing and construction versus size and proximity). The prior plans were to open Magic Kingdom for a week first, then Animal Kingdom and DHS, followed by Epcot by at least a month later. This is significantly more aggressive and challenging.

Bob Chapek on CNBC: We are not going to provide an estimate on the number of guests because there is not guidance [from the government]. We will adhere to CDC guidelines on social distancing.

15,000 is the initial number for Magic Kingdom from a rock solid source. I don't know the other parks.

Getachew

Weird Chapek interview. Though the CNBC biz community just loves the guy. "We're following everything that the gov. wants", which is nothing, really, a rubber stamp. He says "capacity a function of 6ft distance": really, they put a 6x6 grid over MK and counted every other box? Just give us a # (12K), nevermind he wants max capacity. Springs opening with "great" enthusiasm? Really?

Basically, Disney is following bare minimums of what the state wants. They already got liability removed, so open the flood gates. It's unlike them as they always go above and beyond when it comes to service. FL gov's requirements are nothing compared to other states: I see all resorts open by labor day. Not using Shanghai data cause of the gov. not trusting it is just plain stupid if true. Enforcing face masks is a nothingburger, it's a secondary measure: distancing is the more critical.

As of late, Uni, *again*, did the right thing: kept nearly everyone employed (reduce pay), submitted a state plan asap and now, can rapidly open ahead of Disney. It's now obvious Disney and Universal were not collaborating on reopening.

Universal only continued paying their full time employees 80%. Disney has thousands of more employees than UO, so its much harder for them to do what UO did. Also, UO is much smaller, and all of their resorts are third party owned, so that also makes it easier for them to open before WDW

Getachew

The biggest takeaway is that Universal has pushed them to open all parks much faster than desired. Epcot and Hollywood Studios are challenges for different reasons (staffing and construction versus size and proximity). The prior plans were to open Magic Kingdom for a week first, then Animal Kingdom and DHS, followed by Epcot by at least a month later. This is significantly more aggressive and challenging.

15,000 is the initial number for Magic Kingdom from a rock solid source. I don't know the other parks.

Another insider herr said one plan was to open Epcot world showcase epcot resorts, and DHS first and MK last. Did you ever hear of that one plan?

Regardless, I agree that UO opening everything at once likely put pressure on Disney to open their four main parks basically all at once. Any details on the water parks?

Seanual757

I read the 15K number somewhere. It seemed high to me.
I had expected 20% of the posted 50,000 person capacity of MK; around 10K.

I recall seeing the MK Capacity and 30% of that was around 15k I thought I saw that last week on the board. I am not really sure the will get that many guests especially if the APH's who refuse to come back because of masks will be required :)

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Another insider herr said one plan was to open Epcot world showcase epcot resorts, and DHS first and MK last. Did you ever hear of that one plan?

Regardless, I agree that UO opening everything at once likely put pressure on Disney to open their four main parks basically all at once. Any details on the water parks?

No. There were rumors of opening DHS only first, but there's never been any plan going through department reviews that featured Magic Kingdom not open. As far as water parks, it remains the same... if they open, Typhoon Lagoon is the primary target.

Essentially Disney wanted to get to August to (hopefully) reduce the number of potential children coming in due to school. They've countered Universal by opening two weeks earlier than they'd like. It's not a major concession, but does show how difficult it is to restart Disney World after a long shutdown. There are a lot of people about to work very hard to get things up and running on this timeline.

Getachew

No. There were rumors of opening DHS only first, but there's never been any plan going through department reviews that featured Magic Kingdom not open. As far as water parks, it remains the same... if they open, Typhoon Lagoon is the primary target.

Essentially Disney wanted to get to August to (hopefully) reduce the number of potential children coming in due to school. They've countered Universal by opening two weeks earlier than they'd like. It's not a major concession, but does show how difficult it is to restart Disney World after a long shutdown. There are a lot of people about to work very hard to get things up and running on this timeline.

Personally i think opening all four parks basically all at once does a better job at limiting capacity. I also suspect one water park will probably reopen due to UO and Seaworld opening their water parks

Seanual757

Personally i think opening all four parks basically all at once does a better job at limiting capacity. I also suspect one water park will probably reopen due to UO and Seaworld opening their water parks

Yep I believe if they do it will be Typhoon Lagoon, the Dr's on the task force already said it was safe for pools to be open.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
That is a very, very small number.
I read the 15K number somewhere. It seemed high to me.
I had expected 20% of the posted 50,000 person capacity of MK; around 10K.
I recall seeing the MK Capacity and 30% of that was around 15k I thought I saw that last week on the board. I am not really sure the will get that many guests especially if the APH's who refuse to come back because of masks will be required :)
MK averages 55,000 guests/day. So I don't know what capacity is but it's not 50K. Best estimates I've seen have put it between 80K and 100K.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom