Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

tirian

Is it required for all CMs to get tested first before they are allowed to work? As long as there are people constantly cleaning all the nooks and crannies then there is no need for such concern. I haven't been there underground though.
It’s going to require a complicated plan.

rowrbazzle

6/6 is out of the question. It’s more an optics issue for Disney. It’s better for UOR to go first. People expect to have a fun time at Universal. That’s really it. If they go and some people get sick, it will have been expected and not a huge deal.

Disney is expected to transport guests away from the real world and protect them from all danger. If (when) folks get sick, it will make national headlines and damage the brand. Think of the gator attack. Many viewed it as unacceptable that a wild animal would attack someone in the pixie dust bubble.

The gator attack was bad. Yet, Disney World attendance still continued to rise. Was there any tangible impact to the measles outbreak at Disneyland or the big fight that happened last year? Every time Disney raises prices it makes national negative headlines. But people keep coming. Heck, the little party before closing got negative headlines, but that hasn't seemed to stop people from itching to return.

A Covid outbreak might be wholly different than these. But has there been - in recent times - a PR hit that negatively impacted attendance or spending at Disney World? I'm not saying they're invincible or shouldn't be concerned, but does it actually happen? I can't think of one, but I'm genuinely curious.

Clopin Trouillefou

I've no doubt people will call this fear-mongering or something similar but I can't help feeling this is going to result in a tragedy. how many people are going to immediately book flights during a pandemic (for the near future) because of this announcement? I have no doubt Disney will do everything they can but that might be 1/20th of what's actually necessary to prevent the spread on their property. call me crazy I guess.

robhedin

I didn’t say at least a month. I said within 8 weeks because I don’t know the date. My gut says it will be by June 30. But that’s just a gut feeling (and for the reasons you mention mixed with an understanding of the actual reopening plan and expected guest demand). They certainly can’t reopen a day after Universal.
Sorry; my bad. You wrote 6/6 was out of the question. I read that as July 6th not June 6th.

Then yeah. We're pretty much on similar pages -- I don't see how they can open before 14 July at all and I'd expect before July as well.

mgf

I am going with 8/1. The assumption that Disney is flailing around post USO announcement is silly. They are a disciplined business and will make decisions rational to their operating context. Reopening will be hugely complex for the resort. They are not just going to call everyone back at the drop of a hat and throw the gates open. You are seeing a mature operation that can afford (in relative sense) to stay closed longer than most competitors. This is not confusion or poor planning or lack of strategy.

Seanual757

My guess is that they'll open to the general public on July 6 or 7.

They'll spend the month of June training and testing all new procedures.

No way a month 2 days of training with Cast, 1 day interacting with cast testing, 1-2 days testing with invited APH holders. They are testing crowd control and distancing not launching a Space X rocket. They deal with crowd control on a daily basis no need for a month not even a week.

danv3

There's no way they'll need a month of testing and training. People don't have to know how to do everything, just the parts required for their job.

Agree. There may be other things that need to get done before re-opening, but certainly weeks of re-training will not be required.

Seanual757

You realize there is also a lot of maintenance that will need to be done before the parks are presentable?

certainly but again this is Disney with the number of cast members I find it hard to believe Disney could not have the parks and resorts ready in 10-14 days. I cannot imagine that they would have let the parks and resorts go that bad of shape. I just do not see how a company as large as Disney did not have plans in place once this all unfolded months ago on preparing for re-opening.

FullSailDan

Agree. There may be other things that need to get done before re-opening, but certainly weeks of re-training will not be required.

Your understanding of training and cascading information doesn’t take into account there being 60K+ cast members. It’s not easy to just say “everyone watch this video”. You gotta have space, you need material, you need to train the trainers, not everyone is available 9am on Monday. That’s just the general “how to handle covid training”. They will need to provide location specific training on ride safety, line formation, etc. So yes, weeks.

Epcotbob

He has multiple times in multiple places, and all of you June people won’t be happy.

I’m a June guy, but I’m not emotionally attached enough to be “not happy” or mad or sad if it’s later than that. I don’t really care, I just took a guess based on a number of factors and my interpretation of it. It’s more of just a light hearted “awe shucks” if I’m wrong.

pdude81

The gator attack was bad. Yet, Disney World attendance still continued to rise. Was there any tangible impact to the measles outbreak at Disneyland or the big fight that happened last year? Every time Disney raises prices it makes national negative headlines. But people keep coming. Heck, the little party before closing got negative headlines, but that hasn't seemed to stop people from itching to return.

A Covid outbreak might be wholly different than these. But has there been - in recent times - a PR hit that negatively impacted attendance or spending at Disney World? I'm not saying they're invincible or shouldn't be concerned, but does it actually happen? I can't think of one, but I'm genuinely curious.

Well if the measles outbreak wasn't something you could blame on anti-vaxxers and foreigners it might have been a bigger thing nationally. I say that in the sense that... there is a vaccine for measles so it doesn't impact most people that much. Not to say that the hordes won't be back quickly because they will, but I think the lack of a vaccine makes this different if they open "too soon"

pdude81

They also have to test these procedures for at least a few days with cast members as "guests", don't they? Have a few act unruly and refuse to follow protocol to see how people handle those situations?

mikejs78

Premium Member
They also have to test these procedures for at least a few days with cast members as "guests", don't they? Have a few act unruly and refuse to follow protocol to see how people handle those situations?
It's easy to blame the measles outbreak on anti-vaxxers beause it's true. If enough people are vaccinated for herd immunity, than the measles outbreak doesn't happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom