Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Peter Pan's Shadow

If they open up parks and not resorts they may have to cancel any way. We’ll find out tomorrow
I've been seeing this parks without the resorts and I think it's unlikely that will happen or at least for very long. Orlando needs out of town guests to come and go and leave money in Orlando. And they also spend the most money. Anything is possible, but not likely.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With the high fixed cost and overhead WDW has, do you think they’d really just open up soft without knowing how many folks would show up? They may, but Disney seems to like to know exactly how many to staff for.
I imagine there will be some form of reservation system. It’s also possible they only soft open 1 park or a different park each day for a few weeks. I don’t see more than a few weeks of soft openings because of the economics but it may be more than 4 days too.

robhedin

A slower roll multi week rollout like this is smart. I'm still baffled by the fact that Universal is going from CM's to anyone with a ticket in 4 days.
Out of curiosity, why?

I assumed they were doing this to train the cast more than anything else. I don't know why they'd need more time than that, especially given the cost to operate for a potentially very low number in attendance.

Getachew

Right, so they won’t announce a date like Sept 1. If it’s in June they will give a firm date. If it’s in July or later they could give a ballpark or vague range like later this summer. That still leaves the door open for July 1 forward reservations.

They could give a firm date in early July imo

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've been seeing this parks without the resorts and I think it's unlikely that will happen or at least for very long. Orlando needs out of town guests to come and go and leave money in Orlando. And they also spend the most money. Anything is possible, but not likely.
Could be a short soft opening without resorts but I agree not for more than a few weeks at the very most. They make a lot of money from the hotel rooms and food there and with restaurant capacity way down they are going to need all those places open.

MaximumEd

Could be a short soft opening without resorts but I agree not for more than a few weeks at the very most. They make a lot of of the hotel rooms and food there and with restaurant capacity way down they are going to need all those places open.

I haven’t thought of that, but it’s a good point. With dining capacity way down, if the only place to eat is in the parks, that would suck really bad.

disneygeek90

Out of curiosity, why?

I assumed they were doing this to train the cast more than anything else. I don't know why they'd need more time than that, especially given the cost to operate for a potentially very low number in attendance.
IMO it's just smarter. I don't think we need thousands flocking to IOA within the first few days of reopening. A much more controlled, and lower capacity operations for a few weeks with mostly FL residents would not only make guests feel safer, but would likely elicit positive reaction and press so that when people do start traveling again, they are reassured it's being done in a calm and safe manner.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. The road to recovery is going to be long regardless and I'd like to see a thoughtful approach rather than rushed and reckless.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Could be a short soft opening without resorts but I agree not for more than a few weeks at the very most. They make a lot of of the hotel rooms and food there and with restaurant capacity way down they are going to need all those places open.
Yeah, the hotels seem easier to staff and profit from. But it could be a brief reality. We might all be cracking up too. I bet if I start drinking now, I could time it to where I'd wake up at announcement time.

robhedin

IMO it's just smarter. I don't think we need thousands flocking to IOA within the first few days of reopening. A much more controlled, and lower capacity operations for a few weeks with mostly FL residents would not only make guests feel safer, but would likely elicit positive reaction and press so that when people do start traveling again, they are reassured it's being done in a calm and safe manner.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. The road to recovery is going to be long regardless and I'd like to see a thoughtful approach rather than rushed and reckless.
Fair enough. I'm not sure I agree, but I see where you're coming from.

I'd think that as soon as people saw on the various news outlets that something was open, you'd start to trigger travel. Witness the Lakes of the Ozarks and Daytona Beach this past Memorial Day weekend. If the place is on a short window, you can control the messaging better.

But I guess we'll find out what's up Real Soon Now!

brianstl

All those plans sound great and you can my an argument for any of them, but the one thing Disney has been consistent with throughout this now months long process is avoiding anything that would cause mass cancellations. Why does anyone think Disney will change the one thing they have been consistent about throughout this by announcing a date that will lead to multiple weeks of cancellations?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom