Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Getachew

Because of the way they have announced cancellations to this point, I don’t think the reopening date will be any later than June 22. They don’t want their call center swamped with weeks of canceled reservations.

We’ll see. They may offer incentives for those cancellations. Or maybe they will be open. People may cancel any way if not all parks open right away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There‘s also a chance that if the date isn’t in June then they give a ballpark timeframe like mid-July or later in the summer. No guarantee they give an exact date. I know there’s a lot of back and forth about the governor or state wanting a specific opening date but what are the repercussions for Disney if they just don’t comply? You don’t approve their plan? They could just give a ballpark timeframe with a promise to update when it gets closer. Not saying that’s going to happen, but a presentation tomorrow doesn’t lock in a firm date.

robhedin

There‘s also a chance that if the date isn’t in June then they give a ballpark timeframe like mid-July or later in the summer. No guarantee they give an exact date. I know there’s a lot of back and forth about the governor or state wanting a specific opening date but what are the repercussions for Disney if they just don’t comply? You don’t approve their plan? They could just give a ballpark timeframe with a promise to update when it gets closer. Not saying that’s going to happen, but a presentation tomorrow doesn’t lock in a firm date.
Actually, the executive order requires that to give the presentation at all they must give a "certain date" that they will be open.

Other than that, you're correct-- they could say "here's our plan... it's going to take us 3 more months to execute and we plan on opening September 1st". That said, I'd doubt that that would equate to "good news" from the mayor's viewpoint.

brianstl

I don’t think they are going to announce anything that will give them weeks worth’s of cancellations. They have purposely avoided that until this point and don’t see why they would decide to deviate from that course now.

robhedin

I don’t think they are going to announce anything that will give them weeks worth’s of cancellations. They have purposely avoided that until this point and don’t see why they would decide to deviate from that course now.
This is actually a really good point. I hadn't considered that; so yes. A date far beyond the current 14 June closure would be problematic.

MaximumEd

Will the Disney World that reopens be a Disney World that tourists, families or once in a lifetime visitors want to visit?

That’s the big question for us. We have a stay booked July 13th and Aug 10th, and if, like some have said, MK is not open, then it’s a no-go for us. Same applies if it’s only MK open. I understand that they have to make the money work on their end, but so do I on my end. It’s just not worth it to us if all parks aren’t open. I won’t be mad at them. We’ll simply go later or elsewhere.

Getachew

If they open first week of July thats not many weeks of cancellations. But maybe you are right, and it’s mid June. We’ll find out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Right, so they won’t announce a date like Sept 1. If it’s in June they will give a firm date. If it’s in July or later they could give a ballpark or vague range like later this summer. That still leaves the door open for July 1 forward reservations.

MaximumEd

I take back what I just said, but only slightly. I’d give them a pass for leaving Future World closed. It’s a construction zone, plus the embarrassment that is JIIWF, anyway.

Animaniac93-98

Will the Disney World that reopens be a Disney World that tourists, families or once in a lifetime visitors want to visit?

1590536631948.png

"They're tourists, what do they know?"

MaximumEd

With the high fixed cost and overhead WDW has, do you think they’d really just open up soft without knowing how many folks would show up? They may, but Disney seems to like to know exactly how many to staff for.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A slower roll multi week rollout like this is smart. I'm still baffled by the fact that Universal is going from CM's to anyone with a ticket in 4 days.
WDW is a whole different beast. The logistics of the place are much more complex. Some of the earliest plans rumored included phased openings involving only MK and MK resorts. Anything is possible. Disney could go with a full open from mostly the start but that seems less likely to me. If there’s anything I know for sure is nobody knows yet what the full plans are...maybe not even Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom