Universal Orlando to reveal 'Major News' at press conference next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Morrow

You forgot Alien Swirling Saucers, but then again I also forget it exists most of the time.

EDIT: I see you said "major rides" but since the difference between "major" and "all" for DHS is one, I think I can be forgiven. :)
If we include it, then we can include Kang and Kodos Twirl and Hurl, also MuppetVision and Shrek, which brings the numbers to 10 and 12.

rd805

DHS and DAK are/will no longer be half-day parks. DHS is about to have the most E-tickets of any park in WDW. And DAK is basically already a full-day park.

The existing infrastructure of these parks cannot handle the millions of more guests WDW will need to grow shareholder value. A fifth gate is needed to expand capacity and disperse crowds. Disney's recent upgrades to all four of the parks will make all of them highly desirable, making now the perfect time to build a fifth gate.

Due to Disney's pricing model, it'd also be easy to draw more people away from Universal Orlando. $100 to spend a day at Universal, or $25 to spend an extra day at WDW's new theme park? Of course, Disney would collect far more than $25 after hotel, merch, and F&B. While previously Disney had the limitation of the length of an American family vacation, they no longer have that problem due to the immensity of Orlando crowds.

WAY late response -- but DAK still needs 2 attractions. It is very much a half day park.

Tom Morrow

WAY late response -- but DAK still needs 2 attractions. It is very much a half day park.
Already been discussed, but it's only a half day park if you only care about the rides. If you try to literally everything you will probably struggle to get it all in in one day. But I agree that it could use at least one or two more major rides to at least put it where DHS will be after all the under construction attractions are open.

Major RIDES at DAK
Dinosaur
Primeval Whirl
Expedition Everest
Kali River Rapids
Flight of Passage
Na'Vi River Journey
Kilimanjaro Safaris

Total: 7. If we include It's Tough to be a Bug, 8.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's difficult to compare parks just counting rides. MK and IoA were built to be a bunch of rides loosely grouped by an overriding theme.

USF and DHS were built to be a bunch of rides *and something else*, namely a studio tour park. Epcot was built to be a bunch of rides *and something else*, namely a World's Fair. DAK was built to be a bunch of rides *and something else*, namely, a zoo.

If you simply lop off the "something else" part and just focus on a ride count, of course there will be huge discrepancies. Most of those parks weren't built to be just a bunch of rides.

trr1

That sounds like another Universal Escape situation. They're better off going with something like Universal Orlando North & South.
at least until they can buy back the property between the two areas

DeletedAccount55555

Maybe the new area will be branded "Epic Universe" to differentiate between the existing resort, but the park will be called "Fantastic Worlds"

Well that sounds like Universal Studios Escape 2.0.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't know why they'd want to give the impression that this isn't part of Universal Orlando Resort.

The are fairly strong rumors a rail connection from the airport to the new area (shared station with this and the convention center) will be announced also.

This would be a smart move for Universal. This also strikes me as something Disney wouldn't do -- share a transportation system with any other entity -- even though it would be for the mutual benefit of Universal and OCCC.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Some news just leaked from Universal:

They'll be announcing that the Chocolate Emporium has discovered new crap that they can stick on top of their milk shakes.
I find it amazing they are allowed to market some of those things as milkshakes given the majority of stuff is on top of the glass and aint icecream.

lebeau

Eisner was with Universal before 1984????? Disney was planning a movie tour attraction for Epcot before MGM.

Short version: Before Eisner came to Disney he ran Paramount. Universal was looking for partners to build a park in Orlando so they held a pitch meeting which Eisner was invited to as a potential partner at Paramount. During the meeting, Universal laid out all their plans which looked an awful lot like the original version of Disney-MGM Studios. Tram tour, catastrophe canyon and everything. Disney did already have plans to build a movies pavilion at Epcot which would have had the Great Movie Ride as its centerpiece. But when Eisner, now the head of Disney, realized Universal was going ahead with their plans to build in Orlando he upgraded the pavilion to a separate park and raced to build it ahead of Universal. The park he built was suspiciously similar to the one Universal pitched. Realizing that they were not going to beat Disney, Universal changed their plans. They took individual sections that would have been on the tram tour *Earthquake, Jaws and Kong) and built them out into stand-alone attractions. Arguably this approach worked out better in the long run than the studio concept Eisner stole from them.

lebeau

Warner Brothers was bent out of shape over Fantastic Worlds being a little too close to Fantastic Beasts and Wizarding World. I wouldn't be surprised if Universal switched the name to Epic to keep WB happy.

tirian

Well thats how we got Hollywood Studios. Uni announced and Disney pounced.
It was a similar situation for Pandora.

Uni: (opens Potter Phase 1)

Iger: “Oh yeah? Well, we’re building a land based on ‘Avatar’!”

The majority of WDI: “What?!”

Iger: “I’ve been tossing ideas around with James Cameron. You don’t need to know anything else until I say so. What exactly do you do again?”

Cameron: (while touring WDW) “This place used to have better maintenance and world-class attractions. I’m not agreeing to Pandora until you start re-investing in the property.”

Iger: (quietly approves maintenance and operational upgrades at DAK and MK)

jrhwdw

It was a similar situation for Pandora.

Uni: (opens Potter Phase 1)

Iger: “Oh yeah? Well, we’re building a land based on ‘Avatar’!”

The majority of WDI: “What?!”

Iger: “I’ve been tossing ideas around with James Cameron. You don’t need to know anything else until I say so. What exactly do you do again?”

Cameron: (while touring WDW) “This place used to have better maintenance and world-class attractions. I’m not agreeing to Pandora until you start re-investing in the property.”

Iger: (quietly approves maintenance and operational upgrades at DAK and MK)
That took 7 years to respond, Is that the right amount of time or too long?

I love when TDO responds right away with Entertainment!

IOA Opens-Dl's MSEP
IOA Potter Opens -DCA's DEP with a summer 180 pyro show for MK
USF Potter Opens - FOF, Pyro for SWW and Frozen Festival at DHS with Pyro every night.

Depending on how long the building takes,( will we even get a date from Universal on Thursday?)we might be waiting a while for a attractions or entertainment response from TDO.

Last edited:

Capsin4

The feud among guests is bad. It it’s great between the companies. I’ve been loyal to Disney for decades but Uni has been prying is away the last few years. It’s all about value to us.

Stayed at royal pacific for the first time in May and it wasn’t near the Disney deluxe resorts in quality but it was even more remote in price. A much better value.

We bought seasonal 3 park passes for about $400 and will get about 2 1/2 weeks out of it Disney can’t come close to that.

I’m a huge Star Wars fan, but hate to say I’m much more interested in this new uni park and what’s rumored to go in it than galaxys edge. If I’m not alone, Disney has some challenging times ahead that DVC and add on events won’t fix.

TTA94

That took 7 years to respond, Is that the right amount of time or too long?

I love when TDO responds right away with Entertainment!

IOA Opens-Dl's MSEP
IOA Potter Opens -DCA's DEP with a summer 180 pyro show for MK
USF Potter Opens - FOF, Pyro for SWW and Frozen Festival at DHS with Pyro every night.

Depending on how long the building takes,( will we even get a date from Universal on Thursday?)we might be waiting a while for a attractions or entertainment response from TDO.

Well MSEP might be available after September... Hahahaha.

Universal might be doing this in response to WDWs 50th Anniversary in 2021 and then the 100th. Although I doubt Universal will have much built by 2021. I’d guess maybe 2022 or 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom