Universal Orlando raises parking fees

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
At least now they're EQUAL to Disney instead of MORE expensive. Still, I'm not a big fan of the fact that this is an industry standard practice.

BigTxEars

The parks allow each other to do this. Heck, if anything Disney followed the leader. Disney was at $15 and Uni $16 till recently.

We agree then, but the recent raise by Uni was no doubt because of the recent raise by Disney. Not sure when Uni raised their previous price above Disney but I would be curious if it was within a week of each other back then.

Nothing insulting about following an industry leader like Disney. The same thing happens in almost all industries, the leader acts, and the other companies in that field follow suit. Airlines, retailers, video game makers etc...

TubaGeek

We agree then, but the recent raise by Uni was no doubt because of the recent raise by Disney. Not sure when Uni raised their previous price above Disney but I would be curious if it was within a week of each other back then.

Nothing insulting about following an industry leader like Disney. The same thing happens in almost all industries, the leader acts, and the other companies in that field follow suit. Airlines, retailers, video game makers etc...
We agree on the cyclical nature of theme parks. It's just your usage of the word "leader"...
Now, if we were to say "financial leader" I would have zero objections.

BigTxEars

We agree on the cyclical nature of theme parks. It's just your usage of the word "leader"...
Now, if we were to say "financial leader" I would have zero objections.

WDW is the leader is themes parks worldwide, non disputed champion. It's Coca Cola in soda, Wal-Mart in mass retailing etc.....it's not a opinion based ideal it's established thru the sheer number of customers (i.e. success) they have over any body else in their business. If it's not WDW who is the industry leader?

Of course it based on a large part thru pure $ (that is why any of these parks are built) but also who the industry looks to and trys to emulate in ways that they think will grow their business. All companies within a sector look to each other for ideals, but not all companies are looked at equally. Within the domain of theme and amusement parks I think everyone looks the WDW for ideals more than anybody else.

Either way the fact that WDW raid their parking fee and within a week Uni did the same thing is not just random chance.

Last edited:

TubaGeek

WDW is the leader is themes parks worldwide, non disputed champion. It's Coca Cola in soda, Wal-Mart in mass retailing etc.....it's not a opinion based ideal it's established thru the sheer number of customers (i.e. success) they have over any body else in their business. If it's not WDW who is the industry leader?

Of course it based on a large part thru pure $ (that is why any of these parks are built) but also who the industry looks to and trys to emulate in ways that they think will grow their business. All companies within a sector look to each other for ideals, but not all companies are looked at equally. Within the domain of theme and amusement parks I think everyone looks the WDW for ideals more than anybody else.

Either way the fact that WDW raid their parking fee and within a week Uni did the same thing is not just random chance.
I've said it before: if the leader is decided by only numbers, McDonald's must have some phenomenal hamburgers.

draybook

Justin Beiber has more records sold than Bruno Mars, but does that mean he's a better artist? As with the argument here, it's all a matter of opinion.

The difference is that for Universal's price increase you get ANOTHER expansion, a complete Springfield and a new resort.

With Disney's increase you get bits and pieces of a new land and a DVC expansion that is plain and dull.

This year will be our first time staying on-site at Universal, at Port, so I look forward to being able to do a better comparison.

71jason

Also remember Universal has the upkeep of two of the worlds largest concrete parking structures, 3 huge bridges and dozens of elevators and speed ramps plus associated lighting, electrical, restrooms and the like.

Which they do a -poor job at -- certainly not good enough to warrant a raise.

(Your signature quote here would be most appropriate)

BigTxEars

Yes McDonald is the industry leader in fast food, it's not even close. Does it mean they have the best product, no it does not. But regardless of their food quality they are the industry leader in their field. If its not McDonald's please let me know who it is. And if it's not Disney then who is the industry leader in theme parks? I would imagine if you don't think it's Disney and McDonalds you must have someone else in mind. If you don't have a name then it's Disney and McDonalds by default of their revenue.

Again I could care less how much upkeep Uni has in parking they did Not raise their fees the same week as Disney by chance. They saw Disney raise it and followed suit, they followed the leader. Airlines did the same thing with baggage fees, grocery stores do the same thing with milk and banana prices on the local level..

The desire to bash on Disney by some clouds their ability to admit the truth. Admitting Disney is the industry leader is not saying they are doing everything the best within their industry.

lazyboy97o

Yes McDonald is the industry leader in fast food, it's not even close. Does it mean they have the best product, no it does not. But regardless of their food quality they are the industry leader in their field. If its not McDonald's please let me know who it is. And if it's not Disney then who is the industry leader in theme parks? I would imagine if you don't think it's Disney and McDonalds you must have someone else in mind. If you don't have a name then it's Disney and McDonalds by default of their revenue.

Again I could care less how much upkeep Uni has in parking they did Not raise their fees the same week as Disney by chance. They saw Disney raise it and followed suit, they followed the leader. Airlines did the same thing with baggage fees, grocery stores do the same thing with milk and banana prices on the local level..

The desire to bash on Disney by some clouds their ability to admit the truth. Admitting Disney is the industry leader is not saying they are doing everything the best within their industry.
And last year Universal Orlando Resort raised prices first, Disney followed and in doing so admitted that three of the Walt Disney World parks are worth less than the two at Universal Orlando Resort. If anything, Universal Orlando Resort has been smart to wait for Disney to raise prices first because that makes the news first and gets people complaining about Disney. Universal then quietly follows and few ever say a word.

TalkingHead

Which they do a -poor job at -- certainly not good enough to warrant a raise.

(Your signature quote here would be most appropriate)

I like when one of the escalators isn't working, sometimes there will be a sign saying the escalator has been disabled as part of a green initiative in order to save energy.

First time I saw that sign, I thought Disney ought to get one and permanently install it next to the escalators inside The Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom