Universal Orlando Buys 101 More Acres of Local Land

Mad Stitch

Gotta love Comcast's aggression here... it looks like they have no plans to let off the gas anytime soon... it will be wild to see what the Universal Orlando Resort looks like in 15-20 years.
They'll need to watch the rate at which they expand though. If they spread themselves thin by opening opening too many gates and resorts they will end up in the same situation Disney is in today struggling to keep it all relevant and new.

JoeCamel

They'll need to watch the rate at which they expand though. If they spread themselves thin by opening opening too many gates and resorts they will end up in the same situation Disney is in today struggling to keep it all relevant and new.
All it takes is willing management not satisfied to sit on their fat sack. Its not like TDO didn't have the money, they lacked the will and vision to keep things fresh. More concerned with yearly bonuses than building long term growth.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's the land situation for UO...

The patchwork of colors in the upper left is US (orange), IoA (yellow), CW (blue), VB (yellow), backlot and parking (grey), and resorts (purple).

The green is where the two new value resorts are going over the old Wet n' Wild site.

The red is what UO currently owns and the orange surrounding it is what they hope to pick up real soon.

CKz93c7.png

Pixieish

Okay, I've never been to Universal but I've heard bits and pieces before becoming active here, so I'm learning as I go...do they have ideas for what they'd like to use the lands marked in red and orange for? And is it safe to assume that in the future they would attempt to purchase some of the land connecting what they currently have (patchwork) and the land marked in orange? That's a HUGE amount of land and I can't imagine them wanting to let it just sit there for too long...I'm just speculating, but it is very big...bigger than what they're already using, that's for sure.

If you don't know or can't say, I totally get it...I'm just playing catch-up. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay, I've never been to Universal but I've heard bits and pieces before becoming active here, so I'm learning as I go...do they have ideas for what they'd like to use the lands marked in red and orange for? And is it safe to assume that in the future they would attempt to purchase some of the land connecting what they currently have (patchwork) and the land marked in orange? That's a HUGE amount of land and I can't imagine them wanting to let it just sit there for too long...I'm just speculating, but it is very big...bigger than what they're already using, that's for sure.

If you don't know or can't say, I totally get it...I'm just playing catch-up. :)

Just from what I've read from people in the know on this forum in the past week: a new park gate (probably with a Nintendo land); a new water park gate; a new City Walk/Shopping district, and at least two more resorts.

Daveeeeed

Just from what I've read from people in the know on this forum in the past week: a new park gate (probably with a Nintendo land); a new water park gate; a new City Walk/Shopping district, and at least two more resorts.
I like the idea of Zelda going into a third park. And I understand the want for IPs, but I REALLY REALLY hope it has an actual mission statement and purpose.

JT3000

I think it's a mistake for Universal to move on to a new park, They need more unique experiences in there park other than Harry potter.

There biggest problem is that a lot of their rides are simulators, and not to mention that some rides share animations with each other (Spiderman and Transformers.) A lot of lands are somewhat outdated especially Jurassic Park, which could be a phenomenal themed area if they updated it, Lost Continent is a really nice area in IOA, it just needs rides, ect.

They aren't moving on, they're multitasking. And no matter how much you dislike the simulators, they wouldn't be replaced anyway, as they're among the newest attractions.

Pixieish

Whoa...that's some serious cake right there.

JoeCamel

Whoa...that's some serious cake right there.
Remember that at one time Universal owned this property. They are pretty much getting back what they sold at a higher price. Hope they can consolidate it all soon so the remediation and infrastructure can start. About 640 acres all together, so many possibilities and so much money.

Daveeeeed

Remember that at one time Universal owned this property. They are pretty much getting back what they sold at a higher price. Hope they can consolidate it all soon so the remediation and infrastructure can start. About 640 acres all together, so many possibilities and so much money.
I just hope that it will be Universal's first true 'theme' park. Nature? World's Fair? California? Ports of Call? One can dream.

celluloid

I have also been lead to believe that Universal is the mystery buyer for the Artegeon mall plot and they are waiting for the contracts of the contracted remainders including Bass Pro Shop and Cinemark Theater. Anyone ever see who the buyer of that was? If it is still a mystery than I am hopeful Universal has it and will use it.

HauntedMansionFLA

I have also been lead to believe that Universal is the mystery buyer for the Artegeon mall plot and they are waiting for the contracts of the contracted remainders including Bass Pro Shop and Cinemark Theater. Anyone ever see who the buyer of that was? If it is still a mystery than I am hopeful Universal has it and will use it.
How much land would that involve and does it connect land together? Interesting events

celluloid

The sale of the Artegon mall site and the plot just south of it makes it 177 acres plus. It also puts it in a prime location as when the I4 project is complete it will direct tourist traffic exiting right into that area of Universal's property as it is.

UCF

Bass Pro Shop and Cinemark are to remain. The sale is held up by a lawsuit with the tenants, whoever the buyer is has refused to close until all the lawsuits on the land are settled. The south parcel supposedly had a contingency on the Artegon parcel, the buyer isn't interested in the south parcel without Artegon with free and clear title, minus Bass Pro Shop and Cinemark.

I'm tempted to think it's Universal as well, but all the rumors were "a large established theme park company that is brand new to the Orlando market", so they'd have to be wrong about that part of it. The other, less confident, part of the rumor, was that the park would be themed to the WWE, which has been investing and expanding in Orlando a lot over the past several years. Universal seems unlikely to want to get involved in that if that part is true.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom