Universal Orlando Buys 101 More Acres of Local Land

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
From here: http://universal.wdwinfo.com/news/u...ses-101-additional-acres-for-future-projects/

The red is the new purchase...

upload_2017-10-30_14-3-32.png

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
For comparison's sake, IOA is 101 acres in size and Universal Studios is 108 acres. It should be noted that this site sits adjacent to the 450 acre plot that they bought a couple years ago. Combining these two plots gives you an area roughly equivalent in size to the current Universal Complex (Universal, IOA, City Walk, the parking structures, Volcano Bay, and all the adjacent hotels).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
For comparison's sake, IOA is 101 acres in size and Universal Studios is 108 acres. It should be noted that this site sits adjacent to the 450 acre plot that they bought a couple years ago. Combining these two plots gives you an area roughly equivalent in size to the current Universal Complex (Universal, IOA, City Walk, the parking structures, Volcano Bay, and all the adjacent hotels).

Oh, so this is their fourth through seventh gates, then.

UCF

How close is this land from SeaWorld since it's up for sell ?
Probably less then 2 miles, especially when they compete Destination Parkway. Universal is also in a lawsuit with the owner of hundreds of acres contiguous to the piece they bought and the expected outcome is that Universal buys their land in a settlement (possibly as early as next week). If that happens, this second land mass will likely be larger then the entire original piece. Also, Universal could be eyeing Artegon and the parcel to the south of it, which is another 100 acres I believe.

matt9112

how feasible is it that universal buys all the pieces between here and the main property? alot of the stuff around the old wet and wild spot aren't aging very well and could arguably be seen as blight? I assume buying business lots is far more pricey? since the owner holds all the cards?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
how feasible is it that universal buys all the pieces between here and the main property? alot of the stuff around the old wet and wild spot aren't aging very well and could arguably be seen as blight? I assume buying business lots is far more pricey? since the owner holds all the cards?

About as likely that Disneyland buys all of the property within a 1/2 mile radius around their current property... I'd assume the owners would be quite unlikely to sell...

Tom Morrow

I hope they throw some money at those properties though to spruce them up a bit. The area on Universal Blvd from just over I4 through Sand Lake road is quite ugly, though it is nice once you get past Sand Lake.

Same goes for International Drive - ugly and tacky north of Sand Lake Road, upscale and nice south of it.

JoeCamel

I hope they throw some money at those properties though to spruce them up a bit. The area on Universal Blvd from just over I4 through Sand Lake road is quite ugly, though it is nice once you get past Sand Lake.

Same goes for International Drive - ugly and tacky north of Sand Lake Road, upscale and nice south of it.
You would think when Universal is bringing millions of people to the area it would generate enough cash to the surrounding businesses that they could use it to improve their properties. Hope that happens rather than going into someone's retirement fund.

Tom Morrow

You would think when Universal is bringing millions of people to the area it would generate enough cash to the surrounding businesses that they could use it to improve their properties. Hope that happens rather than going into someone's retirement fund.

Yeah. I know it's not UOR's fault but the immediate surrounding area could use some sprucing up. The offramp from I4 Eastbound to Universal Blvd, the main exit for people traveling from Disney, has you pass abandoned hotels and stores.

JoeCamel

Yeah. I know it's not UOR's fault but the immediate surrounding area could use some sprucing up. The offramp from I4 Eastbound to Universal Blvd, the main exit for people traveling from Disney, has you pass abandoned hotels and stores.
I don't go that way from the south. It is the Kirkman exit and that is a direct route to Universal parks. Not that view at all and it is being rebuilt. The exit is direct either main universal to the right or Kirkman to the left. No development either way just manicured landscaping into the parking areas.

Not sure why traveling from WDW would be a consideration, I come from Tampa not dis and not the prime focus of having people exit the freeway IMO

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Not sure why traveling from WDW would be a consideration, I come from Tampa not dis and not the prime focus of having people exit the freeway IMO
One of Universal Orlando's main goals has always been to steal days away from WDW visitors. The main I4 exit ramp to Universal, and the International Drive area near Universal Blvd, is not quite the greatest first impression.

Oriolesmagic

Worth noting that this is right next to my office (I work for Golf Channel, which is owned by NBC Universal) so Comcast has a stake in the immediate surrounding areas as well.

Oriolesmagic

Huuuuu, what??? I didn't know the Golf Channel had property over there? Universal by way of Comcast etc. have access to any other plots of land, buildings around the area?

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain. I wouldn't be surprised, but a good portion of the area is dominated by the Lockheed Martin campus, which you can see to the left of this plot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom