Universal First-Timer

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
So my husband and I are planning to visit WDW the first full week of September next year. We're going to fly down and use the Disney bus to our hotel. So we will be without a car. But we're wanting to visit Universal (the first time for both of us) for 2 days. We just have no idea what would be the best way to get there. Taxi? Car rental? Uber? We just don't know. Any suggestions?

Also, as a complete Universal newbie, literally any advice you could give me about the parks would be greatly appreciated. I know they tend to do things a little differently than Disney (although I haven't been to WDW since 2008, so I'm sure even that's going to feel a little foreign to me).
As a huge Harry Potter and Jurassic Park fan, I absolutely must experience those areas. And I know my husband will want to check out the Simpson's area. Anything else we shouldn't miss?

barkerbird

So my husband and I are planning to visit WDW the first full week of September next year. We're going to fly down and use the Disney bus to our hotel. So we will be without a car. But we're wanting to visit Universal (the first time for both of us) for 2 days. We just have no idea what would be the best way to get there. Taxi? Car rental? Uber? We just don't know. Any suggestions?

Also, as a complete Universal newbie, literally any advice you could give me about the parks would be greatly appreciated. I know they tend to do things a little differently than Disney (although I haven't been to WDW since 2008, so I'm sure even that's going to feel a little foreign to me).
As a huge Harry Potter and Jurassic Park fan, I absolutely must experience those areas. And I know my husband will want to check out the Simpson's area. Anything else we shouldn't miss?
My wife and I flew down for our honeymoon four years ago, and we spent a couple of days at Universal. We stayed at the Boardwalk and took a taxi from the front. They just hang out there (you might need to call from other resorts). The front desk will also help you out. It cost us $40 each way. There might be a shuttle that's cheaper, you could use the Disney buses to get to another area with options. Universal is roughly 30 minutes from Disney property. Definitely worth the trip, though!

If you can swing it, the express passes (fast passes) are worth it. For food, definitely don't miss The Leaky Cauldron in Harry Potter (Butterbeer is a must). Thunder Falls Terrace in Jurassic Park is good too! Finnegans is great as well!

JoeCamel

If you are just after labor day there is no reason to get express pass and the HP areas don't take it so it is of little value here.

Just like WDW get there early and do the HP areas first, you will need a two park pass to experience it all but you will enjoy it to no end.

Uber is less than a cab and easy to get if you use the app. Door to door. If you plan on water rides take a change of shoes/clothes so you are comfortable after.

Do try the better dining, it is many steps above theme park food but if that is what you want that is available as well.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the advice!

Orville, I'm not leaving Florida until I get some Butterbeer! And maybe some pumpkin juice. I have a feeling I'm going to double the cost of the entire trip just in the Harry Potter parks...I'll be so tempted to get one of everything!

Joe, I think as it stands now, we will be there on Labor Day. I don't think I even thought about that. We were planning on that week because of our anniversary (Sept. 8). We haven't made any reservations yet...so maybe we should think about going a little later in the month. How bad are the crowds on Labor Day?

I think we may go with Uber. It seems to be the most cost efficient. Which is definitely important to us.

I know Disney has the thing where they will ship your purchases to your house (or, at least, they used to). Does Universal have that option as well?

You know, it's kind of funny. Since our first Disney trip in 1992, I've been a die-hard Disney fan and never had any desire to visit Universal. Now, I'm a little worried about visiting Disney since I've seen so many people complain about its current state, but I'm ridiculously excited about seeing Universal for the first time!

JoeCamel

I have not had anything shipped, I'm local so I just take it home.

Labor day is busy, not crushing but busy. The week after is dead so if you can go then you will feel you have the parks to yourself and most rides will be walkons.

BubbaQuest

One thing to think about, the Uni hotels offer early morning park access. Exploring Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley before the crowds is much less stressful, even in the off-season.

Although switching hotels can take some fun out of your day, Cabana Bay is probably half the price of a Disney hotel. You could stay 2-3 nights there, save some money, enjoy early access to the Uni parks, and have access to a great pool and lazy river.

Uni won't ship packages home for you, but you can have them sent to the front of the park for later pickup. This makes shopping much easier.

My main recommendation is plan your steps ahead of time, there will be lots of walking! As others have mentioned, head to Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade first as they will be the most crowded (although they also tend to clear out later in the evening). Beyond Harry Potter, Jurassic Park is at the far end of IOA and the Simpsons are at the far end of the Studios park so you kind of have to plan ahead to make sure you are at the right park for your next attraction.

Have a great trip!

JillC LI

If you plan to go to Uni for 2 days, I highly suggest that you arrange it so you end your trip with Uni and stay there overnight the last night. You will get early access to the parks on BOTH days and you will get free express passes BOTH days. I would also ensure that you get a 2-park pass for at least one of the days because if you are a huge HP fan, then you will want to take the Hogwarts Express from park-to-park (and it is different in both directions). If you want to see the wand show at Ollivanders, I recommend that you go there first (before and rides) one of the days because the room for the show is small and the queue moves very slowly.

JoeCamel

A note to the above, there are Olivander's wand shops in both sections of HP, the one at IOA is a single room and does have low capacity but in the Studios at Diagon Alley the shop is much larger and does not get backed up. You don't want to miss it no matter where you see it.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the advice!

We're actually using my parents' DVC points, so our hotel will be paid for. Although, I'm sure staying at Universal would be convenient, it just wouldn't be cost effective for us this time.

BubbaQuest, you bring up a good point about the park layout that I was going to ask about. What's the best way to tackle the parks? Should we use one day to focus on Harry Potter, and the other day to focus on everything else? Or is there a better way to experience everything?

BubbaQuest

What's the best way to tackle the parks? Should we use one day to focus on Harry Potter, and the other day to focus on everything else? Or is there a better way to experience everything?

This is a hard decision now with Hogwarts Express. Personally, I would try for Hogsmeade and IOA one day, and then Diagon Alley and the rest of the Studio park on the second day. If you do all Harry Potter one day, it's a lot of walking to do the remainder of both parks in one day.

The problem is when to ride Hogwarts Express in this setup. I'd try to ride it both ways on the first day (Hogsmeade to DA and then immediately go back) and just skip DA the first day. That may be hard to do once you see the London Waterfront after exiting the train :) Just remember that Jurassic Park, Spiderman, the new Kong, and the rebuilt Hulk are waiting for you back in IOA.

Uni has a lot to offer now, so don't panic if you don't have time to see everything. Just make sure you have a least one type of Butterbeer. It makes everything better!

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks BubbaQuest! I was wondering if we could do that with the Hogwarts Express, so that's definitely good to know.

BubbaQuest

Awesome! Thanks BubbaQuest! I was wondering if we could do that with the Hogwarts Express, so that's definitely good to know.

You'll need to get off and re-queue. I'm not sure if there is switchback in the queue or if you'll need to go all the way out and show your park hopper pass again.

I just remembered that Halloween Horror Nights may start the week after Labor Day. I'm not sure how soon in advance they announce the dates, hopefully some fans here have more details. Just be sure to check the schedule before you go. The park may close earlier on some nights for the separately ticketed Horror Nights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom