Universal charging for Uber pickup

BubbaQuest

Original Poster
Charge added for Uber customers picked up from Universal

"The rideshare company Uber told News 6 on Friday that ever since Oct. 21 riders picked up at Universal Studios Orlando have been billed an extra $4 surcharge...Uber also said that Universal expressed concerns for rider safety and then relocated the pickup area to the top floor of the Jurassic Park parking garage."

What-the-what? Anyone have more details?

seascape

Charge added for Uber customers picked up from Universal

"The rideshare company Uber told News 6 on Friday that ever since Oct. 21 riders picked up at Universal Studios Orlando have been billed an extra $4 surcharge...Uber also said that Universal expressed concerns for rider safety and then relocated the pickup area to the top floor of the Jurassic Park parking garage."

What-the-what? Anyone have more details?
Universal is upset that people aren't paying for parking. They, like Disney want more of your money. Just another money grab.

JoeCamel

Universal is upset that people aren't paying for parking. They, like Disney want more of your money. Just another money grab.
Yep, just recouping the loss from reconfiguring a half floor of $26 a day slots in the garage to allow safe pickup and dropoff for the ride services.
Made all the difference in the bus loop flow.

seascape

Yep, just recouping the loss from reconfiguring a half floor of $26 a day slots in the garage to allow safe pickup and dropoff for the ride services.
Made all the difference in the bus loop flow.
Given that they have increased ticket prices every year. they could have built a pickup area like Disney did and not charge for it. The thing that makes me most upset is they are showing Disney another money grab and Disney will likely follow suit.

Disneyhead'71

I don't think the surcharge is so much to recoup lost revenue from the lost parking on that floor of the garage, but to provide a more pleasant waiting area with the air conditioned lounge and staff helping riders locate their drivers. I think $4 is fair for an air conditioned waiting area.

OG Runner

"People" are upset with the popularity of Uber & Lyft are adding these charges and restricting where you can be picked-up,
trying to penalize these services. Logan Airport in Boston, now has a designated space, that is a fair distance from the actual
terminal, as well as an additional $3.50 charge to use those services.

Disstevefan1

Does Disney do this yet? If not they sure will since Universal is. It’s usually the other way around, Disney does something and the other theme parks follow.

trr1

Does Disney do this yet? If not they sure will since Universal is. It’s usually the other way around, Disney does something and the other theme parks follow.
Universal has been charging for parking at it hotels for many years and Disney just started in the last few years

seascape

"People" are upset with the popularity of Uber & Lyft are adding these charges and restricting where you can be picked-up,
trying to penalize these services. Logan Airport in Boston, now has a designated space, that is a fair distance from the actual
If people are upset overbthe charge, call Universal and complain. The same thing goes for any charges at WDW. If you don't like it complain to those responsible for it.

lazyboy97o

Other transportation services do have to pay fees for the use of spaces at places like airports. Uber and Lyft also tend to lose money on each trip. They will have to raise prices eventually, they just hope you are addicted when that happens.

Last edited:

trr1

I have a question if you are at any Universal hotel(Adventura ,Sapphire Falls,Royal Pacific,endless summer. etc ) do you have to go to the main parking garage for your Uber ?

Last edited:

trr1

I have a question if you are at any Universal hotel(Adventura ,Sapphire Falls,Royal Pacific,endless summer. etc ) do you have to go to the main parking garage for your Uber ?
ok I found this to answer my question
Keep in mind that this $4 upcharge only applies to pick-ups from Universal Orlando Resort’s two theme parks (Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure), Volcano Bay water park, and Universal CityWalk. It does not apply to drop-offs. Pick-ups from hotels on Universal property are not subject to the fee.

OG Runner

That has not been my experience. I had an Uber pick me up at the Portofino twice. Once for a day trip to Animal Kingdom and for our
return trip to the airport.

Rob562

We are going in May - is Universal still adding the $4 charge for rideshare??? How do they do it?? Thanks

Presumably it's a fee added to every pickup at that location, similar to how some cities impose a fee onto airport trips. It should be listed in the Fees section and I think it's included in the total charge that's quoted to you before you confirm.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom