Universal Beijing

cookiee_munster

Original Poster

So Universal have released a video of the lineup of attractions - including a dark blue hulk-coaster (now transformers). Following the impressive line-up is the waterworld stunt-show. Out of all the movies they could have picked, they chose a 25yr old movie that hasn't really stood the test of time. I just thought it was odd...

kap91

So Universal have released a video of the lineup of attractions - including a dark blue hulk-coaster (now transformers). Following the impressive line-up is the waterworld stunt-show. Out of all the movies they could have picked, they chose a 25yr old movie that hasn't really stood the test of time. I just thought it was odd...

The waterworld stunt show continues to have the highest guest satisfaction scores of any attraction...hence it ends up everywhere.

RandySavage

Just my opinion:
The pics getting posted on themeparx make most areas look... to be kind... like a far cry from "the most expensive theme park ever built." The park is coming out well below my modest expectations. Minion land looks cheap. Volcano looks like paper mache with coaster killing its scale. Fake-looking palm trees. Paneless windows in the grand hotel. Beijing's polluted gray skies and dreary communist cityscape obsviously don't help (except as the dystopian background to Waterworld, which - ironically - they are blocking with a flat).

Universal Creative has been aiming low and still swinging and missing: Uni Beijing, the jarringly hideous Nintendo Land and a huge naked coaster for IOA, Fast and Furious. Hagrid is an imperfect hit, but that's about the only positive I see from UC lately. Overdue for a change in leadership?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

How has anyone not noticed the Indominous Rex AA at 57 seconds in that video fighting with the T-Rex for their Jurassic World Ride?? is that what we are going to get in Hollywood for the new finale of Jurassic World The Ride???

J4546

real talk, universal is sleeping on that water world IP. God damn, imagine a new waterworld movie set up for a trilogy, it would be a blockbuster. Global warming is very relavant today, and everyone love post apocalyptic movies. JUST MAKE IT MAD MAX ON THE WATER. Epic battles with steam punk ww1 era bi-wing propeller planes with dudes in gas masks strapped to the wings throwing molitov cocktails..... the possibilities are endless. And Kevin Costner is still alive, let him pass the torch to his kid in the movie and setup something badass in the crazy setting of waterworld. end of rant.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

real talk, universal is sleeping on that water world IP. God damn, imagine a new waterworld movie set up for a trilogy, it would be a blockbuster. Global warming is very relavant today, and everyone love post apocalyptic movies. JUST MAKE IT MAD MAX ON THE WATER. Epic battles with steam punk ww1 era bi-wing propeller planes with dudes in gas masks strapped to the wings throwing molitov cocktails..... the possibilities are endless. And Kevin Costner is still alive, let him pass the torch to his kid in the movie and setup something badass in the crazy setting of waterworld. end of rant.
water world is not interesting. the movie did bad from what i recall. i hated it. i cant believe that lame stunt show is still around and spreading to other parks. They remove Back to the Future and ET but leave that crappy stunt show? oh ok Universal.

some other guy

needs more Fallen Angel Christopher Daniels
D89mpSVVAAEBdBy.jpg

cheezbat

Just my opinion:
The pics getting posted on themeparx make most areas look... to be kind... like a far cry from "the most expensive theme park ever built." The park is coming out well below my modest expectations. Minion land looks cheap. Volcano looks like paper mache with coaster killing its scale. Fake-looking palm trees. Paneless windows in the grand hotel. Beijing's polluted gray skies and dreary communist cityscape obsviously don't help (except as the dystopian background to Waterworld, which - ironically - they are blocking with a flat).

Universal Creative has been aiming low and still swinging and missing: Uni Beijing, the jarringly hideous Nintendo Land and a huge naked coaster for IOA, Fast and Furious. Hagrid is an imperfect hit, but that's about the only positive I see from UC lately. Overdue for a change in leadership?
You must really hate Universal 😂

while much of Beijing doesn’t impress me, and Fast and Furious Supercharged and Fallon were absolute misses...Super Nintendo World looks EXACTLY how I had envisioned it would. Hagrid’s is phenomenal, and Velocicoaster looks to be an excellent addition to IOA. They’re 50/50 to me on new attractions. Some are great, others, not so much.

RandySavage

^ I think Diagon Alley is a contender for best-looking theme park area ever built (though a large amount of credit goes to the film's art directors). Translating a live-action world to theme parks is straightforward. Disney & Universal have both done it well. Translating an animated or comic book world is more challenging, but both have also done it well, (Fantasyland, Carsland, Seuss Landing, Toon Lagoon).

Nintendoland, to me, appears as a very, very strange translation of Nintendo, looking neither like the 16-bit Nintendo worlds, nor like an inviting and attractive - particularly to a non-fan - place inspired by those worlds.

It looks exactly like the concept art. Actual photos of it look uncannily like concept art. And it seems like some fever dream of weird, jarring enlarged plastic junk from a garage sale stacking up in the kids' toy room. It makes Toy Story Land and DinoRama look like New Orleans Sq and Pandora. I think it's the most aesthetically displeasing area ever built by a major, with the possible exception of the connective areas of Walt Disney Studios Paris.
343433434433.jpg

So Nintendo Land was wrong-choice design, IMO, but Beijing appears to be lazy, amateur and corner-cutting design (bad rockwork, bad fake palms, terrible sightlines throughout, no WOW factor, cheap ornamentation on the hotels, etc., etc.), which I find ironic given its huge price tag (much more expensive than Shanghai Disneyland or DisneySea). Where did that money go?

Last edited:

BrianLo

^ I think Diagon Alley is a contender for best-looking theme park area ever built (though a large amount of credit goes to the film's art directors). Translating a live-action world to theme parks is straightforward. Disney & Universal have both done it well. Translating an animated or comic book world is more challenging, but both have also done it well, (Fantasyland, Carsland, Seuss Landing, Toon Lagoon).

Nintendoland, to me, appears as a very, very strange translation of Nintendo, looking neither like the 16-bit Nintendo worlds, nor like an inviting and attractive - particularly to a non-fan - place inspired by those worlds.

It looks exactly like the concept art. Actual photos of it look uncannily like concept art. And it seems like some fever dream of weird, jarring enlarged plastic junk from a garage sale stacking up in the kids' toy room. It makes Toy Story Land and DinoRama look like New Orleans Sq and Pandora. I think it's the most aesthetically displeasing area ever built by a major, with the possible exception of the connective areas of Walt Disney Studios Paris.
View attachment 545202

So Nintendo Land was wrong-choice design, IMO, but Beijing appears to be lazy, amateur and corner-cutting design (bad rockwork, bad fake palms, terrible sightlines throughout, no WOW factor, cheap ornamentation on the hotels, etc., etc.), which I find ironic given its huge price tag (much more expensive than Shanghai Disneyland or DisneySea). Where did that money go?

Spicy takes!

I hate Jurassic World. Why are rocks literally pasted onto the side of the walkway? It actually has the opposite effect of what they were clearly going for, it looks unnatural to the point of bad theme park fake.

Rohde, love him or hate him, would have overspent time imaging what Jurassic World looked like before a theme park was there. Then meticiulously would have created that and demolished it in a way that would have organically happened to accommodate man made structures in the space.

There's a gift shop with a big vine growth thing on it. Except the gift shop is completely modern. Again it has the opposite effect of what they were clearly aiming for (look at the prehistoric vine growing around our building). Instead it looks like what it is, a modern gift shop with fake stupid plaster trying to be "pre-historic".

Rohde made an instagram post once upon a time about throwing a speaker in fake rock work and how the simple act of not disguising it exposes the entire structure as being illegitimate. That's what I think of a lot of Universal Beijing.

Edit: This one.

universal-studios-beijing-78904000.png

Last edited:

BrianLo

I also just saw all the fake palm trees. :facepalm:

This reeks of trying to McDonalds franchise a theme park. Except even McDonalds knows how to adapt its menu to other countries. Universal is so stuck on its love affair with Hollywood (or laziness to actually redesign the park) it felt the need to go all in with fake trees.

PS: None of the comments complaining about Jurassic World on themeparx are mine. I do endorse them all though whoever they are!

Disneyhead'71

The park soft opened to the general public for the first time yesterday. Here is a good POV of the Jurassic World Adventure.

ThemeparX has had pretty good coverage of pics and videos posted to Chinese social media.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The park soft opened to the general public for the first time yesterday. Here is a good POV of the Jurassic World Adventure.

ThemeparX has had pretty good coverage of pics and videos posted to Chinese social media.

I love that its a dark ride, I HATE THE SCREENS however; I love how they integrated the screens with the sound stage live action (the t-rex on the screen attacking the other t-rex at the end and it falls then a AA t-rex head comes out next to you as he falls) around you. and those AA dinos are fantastic. I really liked what they did instead of making it a water ride. but nothing can replace seeing the brachio in UNIVERSAL HOLLYWOOD raise its head up as the gate opens

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I just looked at a lot of the photos from themeparkx...it looks like a really nice park, not sure why people are hating on it. The cost to build looks like a lot of things, not just the park itself.

I agree the show building for Hogwarts should be covered better, but the rest of the park looks like the better parts of what we see in other Universal parks, so not sure why there's suddenly an issue with it. The guest satisfaction and reaction will be the test.

Giss Neric

China now has this Jurassic World ride and Shanghai Pirates. I don't think Shanghai Pirates will ever be brought here but I have a feeling the Jurassic World ride will. Is there a Jurassic land in Epic Universe?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
China now has this Jurassic World ride and Shanghai Pirates. I don't think Shanghai Pirates will ever be brought here but I have a feeling the Jurassic World ride will. Is there a Jurassic land in Epic Universe?

Not in the existing plans unless things have changed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom