universal ALONE was....amazing!

matt9112

Original Poster
I have had a preferred pass for a while but sadly haven't used it much and I woke up yesterday and said hmm theme park. with same day notice Disney was out of the question (blame fast pass) so I went to universal and found the glory of the SINGLE RIDER LINE. oh my god it's the greatest invention on earth. and in general the park was not insanely over crowded. I am still taken aback at how much more relaxing universal is compared to the mouse. was really really enjoyable.

I used to firmly believe forbidden journey was superior to gringotts but now that I rode them back to back im not so sure gringott is just so clever.

from a fun standpoint the mummy has to be the best coaster in Orlando and this was only my second time riding wow those effects are on point....no cost cutting fire effects and that air time on such a small coaster is impressive. more genuine fun than RNRC sorry.

just w real enjoyable resort and I really like the direction they take to things vs Disney not perfect no but Damn good. really enjoy getting discounts EVERYWHERE (caugh disney)

JoeCamel

I have had a preferred pass for a while but sadly haven't used it much and I woke up yesterday and said hmm theme park. with same day notice Disney was out of the question (blame fast pass) so I went to universal and found the glory of the SINGLE RIDER LINE. oh my god it's the greatest invention on earth. and in general the park was not insanely over crowded. I am still taken aback at how much more relaxing universal is compared to the mouse. was really really enjoyable.

I used to firmly believe forbidden journey was superior to gringotts but now that I rode them back to back im not so sure gringott is just so clever.

from a fun standpoint the mummy has to be the best coaster in Orlando and this was only my second time riding wow those effects are on point....no cost cutting fire effects and that air time on such a small coaster is impressive. more genuine fun than RNRC sorry.

just w real enjoyable resort and I really like the direction they take to things vs Disney not perfect no but Damn good. really enjoy getting discounts EVERYWHERE (caugh disney)
I always roam alone. I might meet someone I know there but am very happy to tour at my own pace and do the attractions I feel like doing when I feel like doing them.

Magenta Panther

Universal is indeed an amazing park. I remember the first time I went there. I'd always ignored it, thinking it second-class Disney. BOY WAS I WRONG. The moment I entered it, I was blown away. Potter, Dr. Seuss, the Islands of Adventure...that ubercool beacon tower, and so much more...truly, I was transported into another world. I can't wait to go back there! I'm going to book my next vacay at Universal and stay there in the park and visit WDW for one day...the complete reversal of what I usually do. That's how good Universal has become.

George Lucas on a Bench

It blows Disney away in a variety of ways, but like anything, it comes down to taste. Here's my feelings:

WDW is mostly boring. I'm a DL fan first and foremost. Despite being two parks with awkward bottlenecks, APs everywhere and bad parking, it's everything you need. WDW is a watered-down touristy version. There's a vitality to the DLR that you just don't find at WDW. The place is alive, vital. It owns itself. People are having so much more fun there.

That's my prelude. I want to stress this because the tone of UO is closer to DLR than WDW. While many of the rides are too dependent on screens and are based on things I don't recognize these days or care about, the place is just more fun. The Potter districts are amazing. E.T. is so charming it's just ridiculous. The Cat in the Hat ride is like the Fantasyland dark rides on steroids, but still oozing with the sort of chintziness and charm that make those so great.

You've got plenty of now-classic standbys still around like MIB, the Horror Make-Up Show, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park and that ridiculous Mummy ride with the really awkward Mummy robot and Brendan Fraser yelling about coffee on a screen briefly before you exit the train.

It's fantastic! Touring alone is a great because you can constantly skip the lines. My only big beef is the locker rental situation, which can be pretty nerve-wracking.

matt9112

Original Poster
It blows Disney away in a variety of ways, but like anything, it comes down to taste. Here's my feelings:

WDW is mostly boring. I'm a DL fan first and foremost. Despite being two parks with awkward bottlenecks, APs everywhere and bad parking, it's everything you need. WDW is a watered-down touristy version. There's a vitality to the DLR that you just don't find at WDW. The place is alive, vital. It owns itself. People are having so much more fun there.

That's my prelude. I want to stress this because the tone of UO is closer to DLR than WDW. While many of the rides are too dependent on screens and are based on things I don't recognize these days or care about, the place is just more fun. The Potter districts are amazing. E.T. is so charming it's just ridiculous. The Cat in the Hat ride is like the Fantasyland dark rides on steroids, but still oozing with the sort of chintziness and charm that make those so great.

You've got plenty of now-classic standbys still around like MIB, the Horror Make-Up Show, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park and that ridiculous Mummy ride with the really awkward Mummy robot and Brendan Fraser yelling about coffee on a screen briefly before you exit the train.

It's fantastic! Touring alone is a great because you can constantly skip the lines. My only big beef is the locker rental situation, which can be pretty nerve-wracking.

meh I have to agree I haven't been to DL but I know it's AP centric and isn't a tourist destination (from a travel stand point the closest country's have there own parks) so Disney world gets stuck with ALL guests from Europe and south America while cali....gets not giant influx. but I grew up with WDW but it's just been on a crowd and fastpass driven decline for the ages. I envy Disney land with there commitments sometimes and I think that is what I also like about universal. The orlando site is there meca it is there crown jewel not Hollywood not Japan but here in Orlando. I know this is the property they care about most where with WDW it's just a giant ATM to fuel Burbank. part of me wishes people would stop coming so it gets fixed but that seems unlikely.

as an aside I think port of entry is my favorite entry of any park.

matt9112

Original Poster
Just this one section. We don't really need separate ones. Discussion has been kind of slow lately anyway.

than how come I hear hints on all the stuff for the third gate but I know nothing? seems like there's some massive trove of information like we get for Disney world.

JT3000

than how come I hear hints on all the stuff for the third gate but I know nothing? seems like there's some massive trove of information like we get for Disney world.

There are rumors, but I don't get the impression that project is far enough along for much of the details to be nailed down just yet. Even the usual insiders are doing mostly guess work.

UpAllNight

I’m the other way I actually feel like I have more fun at Disney, but Islands is without question one of the best parks on the planet.

I enjoy the more laid back nature to Unviersal and it’s a great set up, walking through citywalk with the anticipation.

I feel like Disney is a more rounded experience. The food is better, the shows are better, especially at nighttime, and I feel like the rides are more reridable due to UOs over reliance on screens. But when Universal get it right they’re on par/ in some instances better than Disney for quality of attractions.

The next decade should be very interesting, and I’m hopeful we’ll find out more of Universals plans once this drawn-out-nobody-cares F&F debacle is over.

disneygeek90

Theme parks alone is amazing. I probably go alone more than I do with someone. At Universal you can really take advantage of a lot of the single rider lines. It's great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom