Unique trip planning questions

Maerj

Okay, first of all this isn't for me, its for a friend at work. It's his first time to Florida, they are actually going to the Daytona 500 next February. He told me he wants to go to Disney World for one day as a surprise for his wife. They are both in their sixties and he also says that they are going to have eleven people in the group including one in a walker.

My first suggestion was to go for more than one day. He asked if there was that much to see there, of course I said yes and that you can easily spend a week there. He seems to be really interested in just going for one day and as cheaply as possible. All the people in the group have RVs and are planning on staying off property.

So I'm asking... what is the cheapest way for him and his party to get tickets? He wants to know if there is a group discount, I said I don't think for 11 people. I suggested also that they do the Magic Kingdom since they are only going for one day. Can they still set Fast Passes from home like we do when we do a package deal? Any advice, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Rob562

Okay, first of all this isn't for me, its for a friend at work. It's his first time to Florida, they are actually going to the Daytona 500 next February. He told me he wants to go to Disney World for one day as a surprise for his wife. They are both in their sixties and he also says that they are going to have eleven people in the group including one in a walker.

My first suggestion was to go for more than one day. He asked if there was that much to see there, of course I said yes and that you can easily spend a week there. He seems to be really interested in just going for one day and as cheaply as possible. All the people in the group have RVs and are planning on staying off property.

So I'm asking... what is the cheapest way for him and his party to get tickets? He wants to know if there is a group discount, I said I don't think for 11 people. I suggested also that they do the Magic Kingdom since they are only going for one day. Can they still set Fast Passes from home like we do when we do a package deal? Any advice, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

There isn't really a way to get discounted 1-day tickets, so buying them directly from Disney is the best way. (Resellers who sell discounted multi-day tickets will either not sell 1-day tickets or will openly admit their prices are more than Disney's prices because Disney doesn't sell 1-day tickets at a discount)

Anyone who has a ticket and links it to their MDE profile can make FP+ reservations 30 days ahead of time.

You didn't say *where* they'll be staying off-site, but since they'll have RV's, you might want to suggest Fort Wilderness. I'm sure there are cheaper campgrounds off-site, but FW is one of the highest rated campgrounds around. You might be able to convince them to extend their stay another day or two that way. I looked up rates, and unfortunately Daytona falls in a high-price period, which in 2017 was $140-$155/night for a full hookup campsite. But if they're onsite, even in a campsite, it gives them access to 60-day FP+ reservations.

Is there a way you can get them a Disney vacation planning DVD? Then he can see what WDW has to offer and can make an informed decision on which park would be their best bet.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Maerj

Original Poster
One day....first timers... cheap as possible... 11 people.... They're not going to really give WDW much of a chance. I'd try real hard to get them to change their ideas and do it better. Or be prepared to hear lots of complaints when he returns to work and you ask how was Disney.

Yeah, when he told me what his plan was, I sort of cringed a bit. I sheepishly said "Maybe you might want to stay a day or two longer?" He really didn't seem to be into it. We were also talking about food and I told him it would be a little expensive for a sit down, table service meal. He said, "You mean like twenty bucks?" Again, I sheepishly gave a thumbs up implying that it might be a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, if you or anyone else have any more, feel free to post them. :)

Upvote 0

rob0519

Sorry, but if your friend thinks $20 is a little expensive, he better not plan on buying anything at a Daytona concession either. You need to get a planning video or get on youtube and show him what he's getting into. At $1200 for one day of tickets for his group, plus food, this may not be in the cards. Also find a website that shows current menu prices so he can make an informed decision to do this or not.

Upvote 0

Maerj

Original Poster
Sorry, but if your friend thinks $20 is a little expensive, he better not plan on buying anything at a Daytona concession either. You need to get a planning video or get on youtube and show him what he's getting into. At $1200 for one day of tickets for his group, plus food, this may not be in the cards. Also find a website that shows current menu prices so he can make an informed decision to do this or not.

He's agreed to watch a travel planning DVD 'll take one in on Monday, so we'll see what happens.

Upvote 0

rob0519

He's agreed to watch a travel planning DVD 'll take one in on Monday, so we'll see what happens.

Good Luck. The World isn't for everyone. Some think it's too crowded, too expensive, too childish and that's ok for them. I hope your friends make a decision with which they can be comfortable. You're a good and patient friend.

Upvote 0

tractor tipper

11, 60+, RV, walker. What to do, what to do? Take two aspirin no no two RV's arrive early can have coffee and breakfast in parking lot. In the park for rope drop. Start with Jungle Cruise, POTC, onto IASW, Peter Pan, 7dwarfs, continue on BTMR etc. Then hit HM, river boat. This depends on what they like as far as rides go. When things get crowded have them take boat to Wilderness Lodge tour maybe eat, take boat to Contemp., hop on monorail For resort tour. Back to park for Fireworks. Ladies can shop while waiting then out the door after HEA. Rough idea but maybe a start. I know I left some things out which others will catch.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I would give him the cold hard facts. Most people who have never been have no concept of the sheer size of WDW. They think it is like going to your local amusement park. So I would maybe show him on Google map and explain clearly that WDW is it's own city pretty much. Tell him about the prices and the crowds and make it clear that it is not really a 1 day thing. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Maerj

Original Poster
11, 60+, RV, walker. What to do, what to do? Take two aspirin no no two RV's arrive early can have coffee and breakfast in parking lot. In the park for rope drop. Start with Jungle Cruise, POTC, onto IASW, Peter Pan, 7dwarfs, continue on BTMR etc. Then hit HM, river boat. This depends on what they like as far as rides go. When things get crowded have them take boat to Wilderness Lodge tour maybe eat, take boat to Contemp., hop on monorail For resort tour. Back to park for Fireworks. Ladies can shop while waiting then out the door after HEA. Rough idea but maybe a start. I know I left some things out which others will catch.

When he first approached me about doing this, he told me that they weren't going to ride any rides there, just walk around! So, I of course asked why and I think that they want to avoid big Six Flags style thrill rides. So, I told them that they're in luck as Disney isn't filled with those type of rides.

Upvote 0

Maerj

Original Poster
I would give him the cold hard facts. Most people who have never been have no concept of the sheer size of WDW. They think it is like going to your local amusement park. So I would maybe show him on Google map and explain clearly that WDW is it's own city pretty much. Tell him about the prices and the crowds and make it clear that it is not really a 1 day thing. Good luck.

Yeah, I do think that he thought it was like popping by a local amusement park. I think that I communicated that it is a bit more involved than that. I told him that when I go, I am planning things out 5 months to a year ahead of time. I'll give him a planning dvd on Monday and then see what he says.

Upvote 0

yensid67

I can appreciate the INNOCENSE of going for their first time...we were all there MANY YEARS AGO! Maerj, I would find out what their interests are...Being of that age, never being to WDW, I would want to go to Epcot to experience World Showcase. He could take his wife to Italy, Morrocco, Germany, etc and make memories that way! Since they just want to 'walk around' Epcot would be the best Park secondly I would have them go to Animal Kingdom

Upvote 0

UncleFastpass

it is supposed to be a surprise for his wife so I hope it is because she suggested it at some point and if there are going to be 11 people going have any of them every been? If someone in the group has been then they could suggest what they think is best. If none of the group has been then I imagine it could be quite interesting,why didn't we plan more time! Or we spent that much for that! Or maybe some of each. I have a cousin that didn't go to WDW until her kids were older( it's just an amusement park) when they got back she planned a trip a few months later for just her and her husband,now I think they are vacation club members. I know other people who went once said never again,why would anyone do that!

Upvote 0

yensid67

...but having them watch a Planning DVD WITH YOU would be best. You can answer any questions they may think of DURING the showing! PLEASE let us know what happens! I would like to bet that they will see everything to do and do either one of two things... can the trip because there is too much to do OR Plan more days to do everything they want!

Upvote 0

Maerj

Original Poster
Well, he said he didn't have time to watch the dvd, he doesn't want his wife to know about this, so he gave it back. I went to Disney World's website and tried to give him info on going for one day, multiple, etc. He says they are still planning on going for just one day like they said. Seems like their is no changing his mind on this. So, oh well, hope they have fun anyway! :D

Upvote 0

Maerj

Original Poster
You can't MAKE people take the advice they request. I hope they have a good time but if not, that's 11 less people clogging up the parks in the future!

Nope, you can't. Seems strange to ask for advice that you really don't want to hear though. I have a great time at WDW and hope that others will when they go as well. He still insists that they are going, which is fine. I gave them a price list and WDW phone number. I told him to give them a call and talk about it. That's all I can do.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Why do I think their trip is going to be a bust? 11 60+ (many retirees?), one with a walker. A walker is going to be a nightmare in any of the parks. And if $20 is too high a price for a meal, I can't see them considering renting an ECV.

All they want to do is walk around? That's a hefty price to just walk around.....

Tell them NOT to visit between February 23 - 25. That's Princess Half weekend and the parks, especially MK will be crowded. And there will be road delays and closures.

Personally, I'd wash my hands, tell him "good luck" and avoid him.when he gets back to work.

Had the same situation with a colleague. Tried to tell her she needed to order the planning video and then ask me questions. But she talked to a buddy who used to be an AP, but hadn't been in over a year. They messed up their MDEs, didn't get FP (her buddy hadn't been since old system was discontinued). Needless to say, she had a terrible trip, won't go again, and blamed ME. To which I said, "I told you so - you ignored the person who visited last month".

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom