Unionized cast members must approve company contract to receive $1K bonus

The90skid

You just keep digging deeper and deeper to try and get the last word...but that's not the same as "winning"...unless you're charlie sheen.

You have a burr under your saddle on this...I don't know why...

When I worked at Disney...I only saw this this kind of vitriol directed toward frontline nametags after a bad breakup (the vista way special)...

I'll give you this: you're Agassi...you keep thundering away from base line...keep pounding. I mean, you're down two sets and two breaks to Sampras on grass in this discussion...but that's not deterring you.

I'll say no more.
You literally add nothing of value to address his points. All you do is dismiss them. Don't you get bored of this lack of mental stimulation?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Advertisement
Read the quote as it was written. And then read the quote leaving out the word potential. If they wanted to imply that everyone was getting it with no strings attached they wouldn’t have stuck in the word potential.

It was carefully worded.

If you put enough lawyers in a room...without liquor...even they can produce something correct with no spelling errors/typos.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You literally add nothing of value to address his points. All you do is dismiss them. Don't you get bored of this lack of mental stimulation?

And you need to read the whole thread. It's one obtuse/inapplicable complaint or misconception after another. It was a clear agenda.

And it's not a him.

Thanks, Dad 🙄

FireChiefGoofy

Read the quote as it was written. And then read the quote leaving out the word potential. If they wanted to imply that everyone was getting it with no strings attached they wouldn’t have stuck in the word potential.

It was carefully worded.

I guess he’s really proud now.

"I am proud we are directing approximately $125 million to our cast members and employees across the country," said Disney CEO Bob Iger in a statement.
"These initiatives will have both an immediate and long-term positive impact," he added.

Attachments

• 36C5627A-E59B-423C-A59E-B2E60B1654BB.png
    36C5627A-E59B-423C-A59E-B2E60B1654BB.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 10

The90skid

@21stamps I admire your tenacity here, but it seems like very few peeps are willing to hear you out. Instead, lo and behold, everyone just tries to attribute motive behind your statements (funny enough, I cautioned about this way back in my very first post here). No different from usual, it seems.

Peace out, groupies! Love ya!

DisneyparkFreak

Please do bear in mind that that is a separate scenario. The company promised, very publicly for that matter, that all U.S. Full Time employees will get a $1,000 cash bonus. The announcement made no mention of any exclusions, conditions, or prerequisites to receive it, other than being full time, U.S. based before 1/1/2018. On Monday, Disney announced that we (unionized cast members) will not receive the bonus unless we agree to their wage offer by the end of August. They also just did the same thing to 2,700 unionized employees in negotiations with the company at Disneyland.

For what it's worth, we received a proposal at the end of 2017 offering the same wage increase they're offering now, plus a $200 (or $250, I don't recall) cash bonus if agreed to it. It was turned down by 93% of voting Cast Members.

I think most of us just feel that this was a low and offensive move on the part of the company. They are welcome to use bonuses to entice CMs to vote for a proposal, but not the very same bonus that they promised us over a month earlier with no strings attached.

Yes, they have. And the unions have filed an unfair labor complaint with the NLRB.

Yeah, now thats been explained I can see the concern. You're correct its two different scenarios. My apologies.

WDW Monorail

So you're tired of the UAW and UMW in 1972???

...cause where you been living? The only industry hamstrung by unions now is pretty much the airlines...but that's such a unique thing.

It infuriates me that people still think unions have any kind of good purpose. Absolutely awful institutions which hinder development in every industry in which they exist.

21stamps

@21stamps I admire your tenacity here, but it seems like very few peeps are willing to hear you out. Instead, lo and behold, everyone just tries to attribute motive behind your statements (funny enough, I cautioned about this way back in my very first post here). No different from usual, it seems.

Peace out, groupies! Love ya!
Thanks. It’s easier to try to attack or deflect than it is to have a real conversation...that’s pretty much how any “discussion” goes these days.

beachlover4444

I could never figure out why you have the option to join or not join the union when hired but everyone benefits of what the Union does for the employees. My sister has worked there 6 years. She's had to use union reps for a few issues over that time. But everyone benefits from the raises, benefits etc. That makes no sense to me. My sister will get out of Disney after working there a little over 12 years and walk away with around $40K. How many of you can say that as well? And for those who hate unions. I lived in Ohio my whole life. My husband was a teamster for 32 years. Because of it, he is getting a great pension and benefits. Without it we would never have been able to ever retire. Every person I've met here in Myrtle Beach who came down from the north is a retired, teacher, postal worker, government employee who without their unions would not be getting their pensions and retirement benefits. Everyone pushes 401K now, but who has the extra cash to put into it. I feel sorry for all the young people who think that someday you'll be able to live on social security because if you are not socking away tons of money now you will be working til the day you die.

the_rich

It infuriates me that people still think unions have any kind of good purpose. Absolutely awful institutions which hinder development in every industry in which they exist.
Haha..this was meant as a joke right? Unions protect workers from abuse by their employers. They are able to better negotiate raises and benefits; much better than an individual employee would be able to. I work for the NYC Dept of sanitation and my pay and benefits are much better than in a private company. I have a pension, healthcare and I am able to save into a 401k. I can retire after 20 years of service with a 50% pension. These are all things that my union fought for. No union is perfect but they are necessary. It's a good feeling to know that there is an entity available to back you up if it's ever needed.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Premium Member
What we have learned. Government jobs provide good pensions and retirement benefits...question is how local governments “afford” all of that.

the_rich

I could never figure out why you have the option to join or not join the union when hired but everyone benefits of what the Union does for the employees. My sister has worked there 6 years. She's had to use union reps for a few issues over that time. But everyone benefits from the raises, benefits etc. That makes no sense to me. My sister will get out of Disney after working there a little over 12 years and walk away with around $40K. How many of you can say that as well? And for those who hate unions. I lived in Ohio my whole life. My husband was a teamster for 32 years. Because of it, he is getting a great pension and benefits. Without it we would never have been able to ever retire. Every person I've met here in Myrtle Beach who came down from the north is a retired, teacher, postal worker, government employee who without their unions would not be getting their pensions and retirement benefits. Everyone pushes 401K now, but who has the extra cash to put into it. I feel sorry for all the young people who think that someday you'll be able to live on social security because if you are not socking away tons of money now you will be working til the day you die.
Because people were bamboozled into think right to work was a good idea. Just look at the state of the economy of most states that implemented it. If you really want your eyes opened then look at Minnesota and Kansas. Tell me which states economy is doing better. Then look at the policies that were implemented. Shows you how giving more to workers and not big business can really work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well..corporations crush individuals...and buy power...so there's that.

But as far as unions...many went off the rails...most of them are gone.

But still - there can be "good unions" and "bad" ones...hard to speak in absolutes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because people were bamboozled into think right to work was a good idea. Just look at the state of the economy of most states that implemented it. If you really want your eyes opened then look at Minnesota and Kansas. Tell me which states economy is doing better. Then look at the policies that were implemented. Shows you how giving more to workers and not big business can really work.

Absolutely..."right to work" is a crock of crap...

It was written and lobbied by business to make sure organized labor with a purpose was damn near impossible.

the.dreamfinder

Lassetter talk is a divergence. He's not sitting there trying to break a union. The Disney company is. From Dis Unplugged quoted above, at the same time as trying to rip off cast members on either their bonus or a living wage claim, vulnerable young people signed up for the college program are now being expected to pay more because they are 12 to an apartment instead of 8. As we complain about increased room and ticket prices, perhaps we should at least be thankful that they aren't trying to cram extra sleepers into our room...
John and Ed have fought hard against Pixar ever becoming a union shop and suppressed their wages in collaboration with other studios.

the.dreamfinder

The Walt Disney quote is circa 1941, when the animators went on strike. If you’ve read the sentiments from strikers then, they are similar to what is being said now, i.e., not being paid enough to make ends meet, disparity in the company, etc. It’s the same old song and dance.
View attachment 265845

View attachment 265842View attachment 265844
It’s a different time. The Walt Disney Company is a $150 billion corporate behemoth that spent almost $10 billion on stock buybacks last fiscal year. I’ll write a longer post tomorrow, but back then, Walt and Roy wouldn’t pay themselves so they could make payroll. Do you think Bob and the Disney executive class would voluntarily take pay cuts to help keep the ship afloat?

Any attempt to compare then to now is disingenuous. They have the money.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
It’s a different time. The Walt Disney Company is a $150 billion corporate behemoth that spent almost $10 billion on stock buybacks last fiscal year. I’ll write a longer post tomorrow, but back then, Walt and Roy wouldn’t pay themselves so they could make payroll. Do you think Bob and the Disney executive class would voluntarily take pay cuts to help keep the ship afloat?

Any attempt to compare then to now is disingenuous. They have the money.

When I get my time machine up and running, will you go back to 1941 and explain nicely to those strikers The Walt Disney Co. didn’t have money? I’m not arguing whether the company was in a financial position to give in to the guild’s terms, but as already mentioned, the rhetoric coming from organized labor today is similar to the concerns then. Nothing else was compared. I look forward to your response.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When I get my time machine up and running, will you go back to 1941 and explain nicely to those strikers The Walt Disney Co. didn’t have money? I’m not arguing whether the company was in a financial position to give in to the guild’s terms, but as already mentioned, the rhetoric coming from organized labor today is similar to the concerns then. Nothing else was compared. I look forward to your response.

I appreciate your love of disney history...but the comparisons to today have zero context.

Back then, all employees were paid a low but liveable wage, given raises, and could retire with full pension...

They're missing a few of those things - realistically speaking - these days.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I appreciate your love of disney history...but the comparisons to today have zero context.

Back then, all employees were paid a low but liveable wage, given raises, and could retire with full pension...

They're missing a few of those things - realistically speaking - these days.

Why, thank you.

All that is being compared are the grievances, whether substantiated or perceived. No argument is being made over of who had how much to give, or whether anyone was *really* that bad off.

Again, all that is being compared are the grievances by employees, whether substantiated or perceived.

I’m off to bed. Take care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom