Unionized cast members must approve company contract to receive $1K bonus

Sir_Cliff

There's a difference between doing the bare minimum to get by and working at a high level. Have you never worked an hourly job?
Precisely. This is particularly relevant when Disney and its customers have an expectation that people selling them sodas and burgers are going to be part of a giant, immaculately groomed and cheery cast that never take guests out of the "show".

If you're fine with Disney paying starvation wages, don't expect the monkeys to dance too much for your benefit.

raven

Advertisement
You’re super creepy. Stop looking for offense, or bragging, or evil, or whatever you think goes along with recognizing why and how a business works, and why and how they would make changes.
I know I keep repeating “emotional”, but it’s because it’s true. Stop getting so emotional and try to look at the bigger picture, try to get everyone you know to stop visiting Disney or working at Disney. Do something, or don’t.
Whatever you do, you need to start realizing that understanding a “why” doesn’t mean that people do not have empathy.. A pity party does not accomplish anything.
Only one getting emotional is you, Kim. Stop trying to push your economic plan on everyone else when you haven’t actually been in their shoes.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
But many...many like you. Did just that...ran back to keep the vista way party going. Many If not most don't get a placement...and if they manage too...long hours and no advancement await. And many then leave and end up back home with the same prospects years later.

I know quite a few that left school for it...that's a "CP" thing...
Others paid for post grad at UCF or Stetson...that disney has no need/value from.

I had a brief/successful career there prior to grown up land because I could outprocess/out think most and can read people...looks, body language, mannerisms...

I can anticipate. Most hoping to "work for Mickey"...fail and its unfortunate.
This is the harsh reality of it too which I Why I continue to tell people that if they love Disney, don’t work for them. Their idea of the perfect employer is quickly crushed and every childhood dream they had gets thrown out. I have several friends who did the CP 12 to 14 years ago and are still hanging onto meaningless $12/hour coordinator roles for Disney with the “promise” of advancement. Sadly, they still haven’t learned that they aren’t getting anywhere and will continue to snort pixie dust because they are holding out hope for a single job that 15,000 other just like them are also trying to get.

Advancement there has always been dangled in the eyes of those Disney Dreamers. I think it’s simply a statistic move to get them to work at such a low pay.

But the front line employees at any of the parks deserve much better than what they are currently receiving. The level of service they are required to provide, the amount of training they are required to go through and the fear of reprimands for the tiniest details is enough to drive anyone crazy. They are operating with more requirements than a lot of trained, skilled operator jobs.

You can’t make up for wages with free passes either. Perks are perks. But even the most dedicated fan will tire eventually and reality sets in when you have to choose between gas or food for the week.

The problem with the CP is - it's a lot of smoke & mirrors. Disney provides you housing at FAR less than what it actually costs you to live minutes from property. They guarantee you 40 hours a week and unlimited extra hours. I would work 50+ hours a week just because I wanted to and I could go play in the parks after my shift because I was already right there.

I was 23 when I did the CP which helped me realize that I couldn't just stay in FL after I was done no matter how much I wanted to. The economy also took a dump a few years later which would have ended me up back home where I am now. I WILL move back to FL in the next 2 years, but probably not to work for Disney. My friends that do work for Disney are the living poor. Most of them have more than 1 job just to pay the bills.

Sir_Cliff

Ok. True. I agree with that. If we're making more money we're spending more money. But companies don't seem to recognize that anymore. Like Disney. "If you build it, they will come". For a company that sometimes nickels and dimes, they actually leave a LOT of money on the table.
Disney's whole business model for the parks appears based on largely writing off the possibility of the kinds of people who staff their parks ever being able to visit them. The point now is to squeeze yet more money out of fewer people already on higher wages. For them, wage increases are all downside because they don't want people on $15, $16, or $17 an hour clogging up the walkways and queues but they do depend on cheap labour to service all those who are happy to spend $8 for a beer.

kong1802

But many...many like you. Did just that...ran back to keep the vista way party going. Many If not most don't get a placement...and if they manage too...long hours and no advancement await. And many then leave and end up back home with the same prospects years later.

I know quite a few that left school for it...that's a "CP" thing...
Others paid for post grad at UCF or Stetson...that disney has no need/value from.

I had a brief/successful career there prior to grown up land because I could outprocess/out think most and can read people...looks, body language, mannerisms...

I can anticipate. Most hoping to "work for Mickey"...fail and its unfortunate.

As a Stetson grad, I can tell you you are dead on.

There were CM's that were so proud of their gold Mickey ring, and were so blinded to the fact that they have held themselves back from a "real" career for far too long.

tissandtully

It's crazy the people in this thread that think $15/hr is a lot of money. It used to be, but is no longer the case. I couldn't imagine being required to live on that and still manage to make ends meet or have any sort of quality of family time/life. The people arguing against any sort of increase like that really need to find a new perspective.

raven

This just in! Disney is now withholding $1000 Trump tax cut bonus from Disneyland CMs in California.
I’d be careful listings where the actual credit came from. There is no proof of that. As of now that bonus simply looks like a publicity stunt to gain attention back from Universal. Their announcement came quickly after Uni publically released their plans.

raven

It's crazy the people in this thread that think $15/hr is a lot of money. It used to be, but is no longer the case. I couldn't imagine being required to live on that and still manage to make ends meet or have any sort of quality of family time/life. The people arguing against any sort of increase like that really need to find a new perspective.
Then you can imagine living on $5 less/hour than that. That’s the reality of the situation. And we aren’t talking about a couple hundred people. These are thousands and thousands of employees all struggling to live yet are required to provide a 5 Star Service.

trainplane3

This is the harsh reality of it too which I Why I continue to tell people that if they love Disney, don’t work for them. Their idea of the perfect employer is quickly crushed and every childhood dream they had gets thrown out. I have several friends who did the CP 12 to 14 years ago and are still hanging onto meaningless $12/hour coordinator roles for Disney with the “promise” of advancement. Sadly, they still haven’t learned that they aren’t getting anywhere and will continue to snort pixie dust because they are holding out hope for a single job that 15,000 other just like them are also trying to get.

Advancement there has always been dangled in the eyes of those Disney Dreamers. I think it’s simply a statistic move to get them to work at such a low pay.

But the front line employees at any of the parks deserve much better than what they are currently receiving. The level of service they are required to provide, the amount of training they are required to go through and the fear of reprimands for the tiniest details is enough to drive anyone crazy. They are operating with more requirements than a lot of trained, skilled operator jobs.

You can’t make up for wages with free passes either. Perks are perks. But even the most dedicated fan will tire eventually and reality sets in when you have to choose between gas or food for the week.
Hearing that makes me glad I never went for the college program. I was looking forward to it for the longest time. Then I was told that any money you make basically goes right back into the company (housing and food). I thought on it some more. I wouldn't want to do customer service or be the poor CM standing under an umbrella in front of the Land (even though I am a huge people person). What if I could get a internship in IT or Imagineering? That would be worth it, right? Well, they'd probably look at my math grades and laugh me off since I wouldn't be up to their standards. I gave up on it since I remembered the saying "Never meet your heroes". I decided staying in the western PA area and getting a job here would be the best since it's cheap living and we have some large companies in the area.

I still wouldn't mind working for them at some point but seeing as to how most of their IT is outsourced and I would never make the cut for Imagineering, I can't see it happening.

21stamps

Only one getting emotional is you, Kim. Stop trying to push your economic plan on everyone else when you haven’t actually been in their shoes.

I’m going to say something to you once, and then probably stop responding, because you appear to view everything from a place of anger..and anything that’s not “omg feel sorry for me!” is viewed as bragging.

I’m not pushing an economic plan. I’m pushing a ‘look beyond pity’, and against obnoxious claims like ‘everyone making minimum wage should be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment’. I’m definitely pushing against statements like “a living wage” is a tangible thing when trying to come up with a blanket number.
I’m glad you left Disney if it made you so unhappy, and I hope your friends take their skills and move on if Disney isn’t paying them what they’re worth.

I hope, for all of the union employees, that this gets resolved before the deadline for bonuses expires...and I hope the union doesn’t foolishly lead them down a $15 or nothing path. I don’t think they will, I think they will settle this at a lower amount, before the deadline.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I know...even before we talk disney and negotiations...I can't wrap my brain around this.

That figure is $31,200 a year pretax...in an INCREDIBLY expensive country...

That $15 wasn't picked by throwing darts...it's a number where Labor think tanks believe that you can raise up a significant part of the society in the bottom end of the scale and also contribute to the economy.

It's not a ton of money...but if even some can not constantly stress about money every minute of every day...what a better world? Few things are worse than constant fear/stress.

That is emotional response...but also common sense.

Last edited:

FireChiefGoofy

I’d be careful listings where the actual credit came from. There is no proof of that. As of now that bonus simply looks like a publicity stunt to gain attention back from Universal. Their announcement came quickly after Uni publically released their plans.

ocregister.com

njDizFan

It has been proven that lower wage workers spend their cash locally sustaining their neighborhood. Most hourly workers do not have the means to set aside large swaths of money for savings, retirement, educational accounts. The working poor up to the middle of middle class are what drives the local economy, not until you reach the top 20% do you see more income going towards home ownership and investing in the future.

Unlike when the top 1% get income growth, it goes right into a handful of financial companies. There's a reason the boomers saw such prosperity. The middle class was paid well and even more menial jobs were treated with respect.

WDW has 60K CMs that would love to repay the mouse right back with their paychecks. An increase in salary tells your workforce they are valued and those results come across to the customer.

Am I the one who has to bring up the possibility of having a serious conversation about a guaranteed minimum income for all citizens( I know sounds like communist lunacy) but it's getting traction and if we see an ever shrinking workforce due to technology advances we need to talk about it soon.

FireChiefGoofy

And the letter we received from Bob Iger stated that bonuses were a result of the Trump tax cut.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem with the CP is - it's a lot of smoke & mirrors. Disney provides you housing at FAR less than what it actually costs you to live minutes from property. They guarantee you 40 hours a week and unlimited extra hours. I would work 50+ hours a week just because I wanted to and I could go play in the parks after my shift because I was already right there.

I was 23 when I did the CP which helped me realize that I couldn't just stay in FL after I was done no matter how much I wanted to. The economy also took a dump a few years later which would have ended me up back home where I am now. I WILL move back to FL in the next 2 years, but probably not to work for Disney. My friends that do work for Disney are the living poor. Most of them have more than 1 job just to pay the bills.

It doesn't get discussed much on these forums and I hate to try to dissuade people...but when it's the parents, I do caution them what it really is:

Just mass Labor...a social free for all...

And you can fill in the blanks to sum it up: Vista _ay

...not much more needs to be said. Been there, done that, seen it after, managed many...it is what it is.

Phil12

Hey, Phil...where are these 1,000 person lines you speak of? Can I find them on the google??
If you go to the casting website you'll find that right now for all of WDW they are only advertising for 31 jobs and for Disneyland they're advertising for 43 jobs:

https://parksjobs.disneycareers.com/search-jobs?fcf=

So that translates to about 2,700 applicants per job. Sorry my previous estimate was so low. However, obviously for some jobs that require special skills or licensing (such as HVAC technician) the line is not as long.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hearing that makes me glad I never went for the college program. I was looking forward to it for the longest time. Then I was told that any money you make basically goes right back into the company (housing and food). I thought on it some more. I wouldn't want to do customer service or be the poor CM standing under an umbrella in front of the Land (even though I am a huge people person). What if I could get a internship in IT or Imagineering? That would be worth it, right? Well, they'd probably look at my math grades and laugh me off since I wouldn't be up to their standards. I gave up on it since I remembered the saying "Never meet your heroes". I decided staying in the western PA area and getting a job here would be the best since it's cheap living and we have some large companies in the area.

I still wouldn't mind working for them at some point but seeing as to how most of their IT is outsourced and I would never make the cut for Imagineering, I can't see it happening.

I'm
Glad your perceptions were right at the time...

It's not "an internship"...it's summer
Camp where you provide the bottom rung Labor...heavily subsidized for disney. They aren't even paying you.

I'd have more respect if they did try to intern people...but they don't. look at the "categories" they have to choose from...not much there unless lifeguarding and parking lot attendants start requiring MBAs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom