• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Unionized cast members must approve company contract to receive $1K bonus

ksr99

Advertisement
Tell me how wdw implements this policy? If it works...I can get iger to make you an executive VP in charge of popcorn ;)
Do I get free annual passes?!

21stamps

You just keep digging deeper and deeper to try and get the last word...but that's not the same as "winning"...unless you're charlie sheen.

You have a burr under your saddle on this...I don't know why...

When I worked at Disney...I only saw this this kind of vitriol directed toward frontline nametags after a bad breakup (the vista way special)...

I'll give you this: you're Agassi...you keep thundering away from base line...keep pounding. I mean, you're down two sets and two breaks on grass in this discussion...but that's not deterring you.

I'll say no more.
Please, continue to believe that companies don’t look to save money when it comes to payroll. Small business, mid sized business, big business. The amount of jobs and pay are not related at all.

We should all just admit that you’re correct, and ignore the facts that there are thousands of examples that show otherwise.

I know right!! Here’s the big kicker, it’s more streamlined now, soooo the person that manages now makes much more and hes quite happy. You may be asking. “How did I choose who to keep?” I initially thought a cage fight, but then I realized the one I kept had superior skills and worked his butt off. Crazy logic!
We don’t acknowledge logic. You let someone go- you’re evil. How dare you.
I think you’re the only business owner who has ever done such a thing.

Kman101

Your 100 percent correct I shouldn’t imply that this example represents all the outcomes....in my case it worked out perfectly....well a little bit of a learning curve on my part.
To be fair, my example could very well be in the minority.

I do understand people's fears of jobs going in place of machines but I don't think we're quite at that panic point yet. But then you have Amazon coming out with stores where there are employees but you check yourself out, I think. It's bizarre. I'm definitely curious to see where we're at in a decade from now if we're totally automated, but I just don't know if total replacement is possible.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Alright, @Sirwalterraleigh I’m gonna take a break. I can only argue so much with a wall. Good luck if you decide to keep at it. Try and keep in mind the type of person you’re arguing with. That person may not want minimum wage raised, but they also might be ok with a little light fraud here and there. Anyhoo, onward and upward. Unless you’re frontline cast. Then you stay down.

ksr99

Please, continue to believe that companies don’t look to save money when it comes to payroll. Small business, mid sized business, big business. The amount of jobs and pay are not related at all.

We should all just admit that you’re correct, and ignore the facts that there are thousands of examples that show otherwise.

We don’t acknowledge logic. You let someone go- you’re evil. How dare you.
I think you’re the only business owner who has ever done such a thing.
There must be a balance, but not knowing the bottom line of the big machine called DIsney, it would be naive for me to have a real opinion of what a particular position should expect in pay at Disney.
I just know from personal experience, that my business has limits and I need it to survive!

HauntedPirate

Premium Member
I'm in IT, and no one at my company received a merit increase last year (unless you were in senior/executive management, that is). This year, I'm hearing there is one coming, but it may be 2%, or less. I fully expect people to leave, and they will be replaced with cheaper labor in other countries. And I am probably going to be one of those needing to be replaced, because the job and the stress is not worth what I make now, let alone staying at nearly the same wage for 3 years. I took the job because I didn't have one at the time, having been let go from my job at an airline (guess what gets cut once fuel costs start falling? They axed over 1000 people on the same day). But now I can take my time and look for a better job with a better company that is a better fit, and I'm thankful for that. I'd wager that a lot of people who work at WDW don't have the same luxury. The poster above who stated they've received an 18 cent raise in 6 years I bet is in that boat, and that flat out sucks. I believe you get what you pay for - If you pay low wages, you get a lot of the bottom of the barrel workers. You'll also get some good, hard working people, but they won't be around for long if you don't promote and/or pay them. The company I work for pays low wages in other countries, and it shows in the quality of people we get. And those who are good and hard working, they become more valuable and move on to better paying jobs within 12-18 months.

21stamps

To be fair, my example could very well be in the minority.

I do understand people's fears of jobs going in place of machines but I don't think we're quite at that panic point yet. But then you have Amazon coming out with stores where there are employees but you check yourself out, I think. It's bizarre. I'm definitely curious to see where we're at in a decade from now if we're totally automated, but I just don't know if total replacement is possible.
This is something that always bothers me. It’s probably not shocking to anyone in this thread that my economic views lean to the right side of the spectrum., However, I refuse to shop at Walmart. Have not been inside one since I was 19 years old. I’ve never ordered from them online.
Whole Foods was my favorite grocer for over a decade, the moment that Amazon acquired Whole Foods is the day I stopped shopping there. I have not stepped foot in one since. I cancelled Amazon Prime nearly a year ago, I have not ordered one item from Amazon in over 7 months.. not even at Christmastime, and I have no plans to order from them anytime soon.
I go to Barnes and Noble to buy books, I don’t purchase them online, and I have completely stopped using my Nook.

I do all of that because it is my personal ‘boycott’ against what is happening with business such as those, because I don’t want to see the disappearance of brick and mortar. Maybe I’m not making any difference, but it is what I feel I can do.

So all of that said, when people talk about “big business” and “wages” and “jobs”, do you shop on Amazon or their subsidiaries? Walmart? Do you visit Disney World?

If the answer is yes, then maybe you’ll realize why they can continue to do what they do. If you accepted a job at WDW, knowing the pay, but now complaining about the pay..then maybe you’ll see that they look at their contract as agreeable- because you willingly accepted it.
If someone wants to see change, then you have to make the business see that they need to change. Right now, they don’t. Emotions don’t change that.

Sirwalterraleigh

There must be a balance, but not knowing the bottom line of the big machine called DIsney, it would be naive for me to have a real opinion of what a particular position should expect in pay at Disney.
I just know from personal experience, that my business has limits and I need it to survive!
Disney's bottom line in parks is that they are the second biggest - soon to be biggest - profit center. Public information.

trainplane3

I'm in IT, and no one at my company received a merit increase last year (unless you were in senior/executive management, that is). This year, I'm hearing there is one coming, but it may be 2%, or less. I fully expect people to leave, and they will be replaced with cheaper labor in other countries. And I am probably going to be one of those needing to be replaced, because the job and the stress is not worth what I make now, let alone staying at nearly the same wage for 3 years. I took the job because I didn't have one at the time, having been let go from my job at an airline (guess what gets cut once fuel costs start falling? They axed over 1000 people on the same day). But now I can take my time and look for a better job with a better company that is a better fit, and I'm thankful for that. I'd wager that a lot of people who work at WDW don't have the same luxury. The poster above who stated they've received an 18 cent raise in 6 years I bet is in that boat, and that flat out sucks. I believe you get what you pay for - If you pay low wages, you get a lot of the bottom of the barrel workers. You'll also get some good, hard working people, but they won't be around for long if you don't promote and/or pay them. The company I work for pays low wages in other countries, and it shows in the quality of people we get. And those who are good and hard working, they become more valuable and move on to better paying jobs within 12-18 months.
Another IT person! I was in the same boat at a previous company. I was the young kid that was graduating in a year, so I got all the basic crap shoved onto me. Then the cell phones. Then the phone systems. Then the network. Then the projects. Then setting up new sites. All while my boss left work early every day to do personal stuff (stuff that could've waited 4 hours, end of day). The rest of us did out part, except for the helpdesk guy of course. After 2 1/2 years of barely any raises, a promotion that would've made me Network Admin (something I was already getting into), it was time to leave. Everyone knew why I was leaving and hated it. Many there relied on me to fast track fixes for major issues instead of saying "give me a day to get to it". Never heard thanks from any of the executives for the stuff I rushed together for them. Never got a bonus. Ain't got nuttin'! And now they wonder why everything is falling apart and people are complaining about IT again... (after I spent a solid year giving IT a much better reputation company-wide, about 700 employees aka small but still means something)

I eventually got a job thanks to my phone and network experience that brought MANY upsides such as working from home, a boss that was massively hands on and would assist as much as they can, and many other paths for me to take in the future (security, networking, management, risk, etc.). It's odd to say, but I would be fine with a raise every other year here. People complain (expected) and I then tell them about what was through previously and they couldn't believe it. Downsides? Well, weird hours for system changes, on call (of course), and getting yanked into issues you've never even seen before. But when I can work from home whenever I feel, do any of those downsides really matter?

Sirwalterraleigh

Alright, @Sirwalterraleigh I’m gonna take a break. I can only argue so much with a wall. Good luck if you decide to keep at it. Try and keep in mind the type of person you’re arguing with. That person may not want minimum wage raised, but they also might be ok with a little light fraud here and there. Anyhoo, onward and upward. Unless you’re frontline cast. Then you stay down.
I've said my piece...there's not much more to comment on unless new things are brought in.

But as much as I poke fun at nametags...I do and have witnesses around here...I'm starting to get "moderately annoyed" (the most I get) at the hatred being spewed towards their desire to do a little better for themselves. The place costs a fortune, the profits are used to support lots of other company wide nonsense (Shanghai, paying Harrison ford, joe rohde, etc) and I for one want them to have it...the same people who justify paying $800 for GF, CL, MKV...would fight that the person who cleans their toilet isn't worth $12...

It's not just your education level...it's how much you take in that SHOULD go into wages.

That...and the misapplication of both economic and political concepts in this thread is pretty offensive.

Driver

True, but s/he also doesn't get free access to the parks. That's a perk worth several hundred if not a thousand or more dollars.
Just my 2 cents but I have to disagree with that. That perk doesn't cost Disney one red cent, CM's don't have all kinds of time on their hands to go visit parks. They still have the day to day laundry, house cleaning, errands to run etc. etc. Life! Also after working there all week that may be the last place you want to go on your day off. And finally when and if they go their going to spend some money maybe not as much as tourist but none the less. And before someone says it, employee discounts are very limited inside the parks. It's not a windfall for CM's just a nice perk.

Sirwalterraleigh

Unless you have a very clear strategy for advancement, the last place I would look for long term employment is the theme park industry.
And that doesn't work either...there's little mobility in what amounts to an amusement park complex...

If i a nickel for every college programmer that hurried back...thinking they had value...and toiled frustrated till then Whig out and go back home...I'd be able to retire.

Sirwalterraleigh

Just my 2 cents but I have to disagree with that. That perk doesn't cost Disney one red cent, CM's don't have all kinds of time on their hands to go visit parks. They still have the day to day laundry, house cleaning, errands to run etc. etc. Life! Also after working there all week that may be the last place you want to go on your day off. And finally when and if they go their going to spend some money maybe not as much as tourist but none the less. And before someone says it, employee discounts are very limited inside the parks. It's not a windfall for CM's just a nice perk.
I have some experience in revenue...cast members spend ALOT...

But as far as laundry, linens, costs...you do understand the main gate let's the employees walk on the pavement - they don't get a room with it, correct?

Driver

I have some experience in revenue...cast members spend ALOT...

But as far as laundry, linens, costs...you do understand the main gate let's the employees walk on the pavement - they don't get a room with it, correct?
I don't know about " spend a lot"? Many don't have it to spend!

Sirwalterraleigh

I don't know about " spend a lot"? Many don't have it to spend!
Proportionately...it's kinda like "Stockholm syndrome"

They give 40% on merchandise at Christmas...If you don't make a lot - it's cheaper than Walmart for the kids...and Disney merch margins are MUCH higher...it's like fishing with dynamite.

21stamps

And that doesn't work either...there's little mobility in what amounts to an amusement park complex...

If i a nickel for every college programmer that hurried back...thinking they had value...and toiled frustrated till then Whig out and go back home...I'd be able to retire.
You’re thinking too small again. It can be used a resume builder for food & beverage, marketing, maintenance, hospitality management, etc.
A stepping stone job doesn’t equal staying with the same employer.

Sirwalterraleigh

You’re thinking too small again. It can be used a resume builder for food & beverage, marketing, maintenance, hospitality management, etc.
A stepping stone job doesn’t equal staying with the same employer.
As you've stated...you don't have the experience to understand my example. It's a further tangent that is unneeded. But with the college program - there is a phenomenon that's very damaging to the young and impressionable...sometimes affecting them for decades or longer. I know quite a few...and I'm 20 years removed.

raven

@lentesta did this math not too long ago and had similar results. Uniform price increases would be things like 3¢ on a soda and 75¢ on rooms.

$12/hour is less than half of your earlier housing criteria.
I said employees would probably be more dedicated. But I’m sure they wouldn’t argue being paid more.
I don’t have an axe to grind against wages, I have a wish that someday people would think with their heads.

Emotions aren’t enough to go on.. at some point you have to do some actual thinking. A “living wage” can’t really be defined, a minimum wage job is not meant to live on indefinitely, they definitely aren’t meant to have a high quality of life for an adult, especially not an adult with a family.

When facts start caring about your feelings, let me know.

Until then, I’m sure you’ll continue with your quips that you seem to enjoy so much, another sign of overly emotional thinking.

You’re not sure how I can relate higher wages to unemployment? Come on, Raven. I’ll just leave that question alone. I answered in your $15 thread.
Yes, you’ve solidified your establishment as upper middle class many times over and over. You think lower wage people should remain poor and not be rewarded for the high level of service they provide at your luxurious vacation kingdom. If they don’t like the wage then move on (even though that doesn’t solve the low wage problem at all) Your point comes through loud and clear that you don’t these people deserve better wages. We get it.

Top Bottom