Uni Hotel Car Rentals

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Has anyone rented a car directly from the hotels before? What was the experience/prices like? I'm trying to find info online but its all vague telling me to call for more information.

BubbaQuest

I haven't. It looks like Uni switched from Hertz to Avis a couple of years ago.

My only warning is I've had problems in the past with in-hotel car rentals (not Uni). You usually need to book with Hertz/Avis directly to get the best rates. But make sure you call the in-hotel office after to make sure they received the reservation, offer that car for that price, and that someone will be there when you arrive so you can get your car -- many have very limited hours and have their own pricing structure.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
I haven't. It looks like Uni switched from Hertz to Avis a couple of years ago.

My only warning is I've had problems in the past with in-hotel car rentals (not Uni). You usually need to book with Hertz/Avis directly to get the best rates. But make sure you call the in-hotel office after to make sure they received the reservation, offer that car for that price, and that someone will be there when you arrive so you can get your car -- many have very limited hours and have their own pricing structure.

Well now, that's a bit concerning. Seems so convenient to have a pick up right at the hotel without needing a taxi first.

OG Runner

Also remember that both Universal and Disney charge for overnight parking of your rental car at the resorts.
Somewhere around $25.00 a night.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Also remember that both Universal and Disney charge for overnight parking of your rental car at the resorts.
Somewhere around $25.00 a night.

Ugh, yes unfortunately. $18 at Cabana Bay and $20 at Riverside and Pop. Might try to get all my exploration done in one day to avoid the parking fees.

Jon81uk

Hmmm apparently Disney does this too. They give you a lift to the car centre.
The service at Disney car centre was great. We've used it a few times and the shuttle was at the resort on time and we got our car with no issues.

Now with the parking charges we will be re-thinking whether just using Uber would be better and/or staying at Universal for some of the trip.

seascape

The service at Disney car centre was great. We've used it a few times and the shuttle was at the resort on time and we got our car with no issues.

Now with the parking charges we will be re-thinking whether just using Uber would be better and/or staying at Universal for some of the trip.
Staying at Universal to avoid a fee is rewarding them for charging it. A better way would be for all those who use Uber or Lyft to stay away until they stop this cash grab because if they get away with it. Disney will start charging too.

Jon81uk

Staying at Universal to avoid a fee is rewarding them for charging it. A better way would be for all those who use Uber or Lyft to stay away until they stop this cash grab because if they get away with it. Disney will start charging too.

I think you are thinking of the wrong thread and wrong charge.
I was referring to Disney charging per night for parking, makes it less worthwhile to rent a car and drive to Universal for the day and more appealing to spend part of the trip at Universal and walk/boat/bus to their parks.

We used to stay on Disney and travel to Universal/malls/Seaworld. Now more likely to split-stay and stay at both resorts separately and then use other transport from the hotel to the malls.

The_Jobu

Original Poster

How did you book your rental and shuttle? Was it all online or did you call?

Jon81uk

How did you book your rental and shuttle? Was it all online or did you call?
Online with the rental company (can't remember which ones are at Disney, might have been Alamo), then to book the shuttle we called from the room phone the night before and the shuttle was at the front of the resort at the agreed time.
For the return shuttle you just get in the van and they bring you back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom