Underrated Aspects of Disney Attractions

MouseMelly

The disappearing butterfly in the current iteration of Journey Into Imagination. While a mediocre attraction, that's a nice old-school effect that would simply be done with screens if created today. I appreciate how it was also reused for the new pirate near the octopus in the updated Disneyland PotC, but it's just a neat little effect.
I almost said this! You're braver than me 😂😂😂 I really enjoy that effect.

unmitigated disaster

There's also a dianoga (the species of the monster in the trash compactor) inside the water fountain at Galaxy's Edge.

We spotted this at Disneyland; I thought it was funny.

When we were walking back from Galaxy's Edge my father needed to sit down and rest so we sat on the rock walls of the flower beds - which are filled with odd-looking plants - and realized we were hearing alien creatures coming from the flower beds.

NelleBelle

One of mine comes from Living With The Land and the transition of moving through the tunnel with all the screens into the green house. There is something so relaxing about that ride that never bores me.

Another is sadly gone, I think (or at least I didn’t notice it 2 yrs ago), but the fiber optic lights in the pavement in EP future world with the BGM playing. I could sit there and watch/listen to that all night!

And my last one also comes from EP—the leaping water where inevitably a little tot will find his/her way into it. My boys loved that specific fountain. But just sitting and watching it is a nice touch to add for people watching!

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
One of mine comes from Living With The Land and the transition of moving through the tunnel with all the screens into the green house. There is something so relaxing about that ride that never bores me.

Another is sadly gone, I think (or at least I didn’t notice it 2 yrs ago), but the fiber optic lights in the pavement in EP future world with the BGM playing. I could sit there and watch/listen to that all night!

And my last one also comes from EP—the leaping water where inevitably a little tot will find his/her way into it. My boys loved that specific fountain. But just sitting and watching it is a nice touch to add for people watching!
I LOVE the Jumping Fountain. One of my favourite pets of Epcot. Never used to spend time there, but my last two trips, I’ve always designated at least 15 minutes to spend time by the fountains.

begood524

This is such a cool thread, think I'll add some things that I really enjoy too:
1) The curtains in the alleyway apartment building that get blown around every time a train launches on Rock 'n' Rollercoaster
2) The little details/effects biomes of Living with the Land, like the distant fires/thunderstorms in the prairie, the furnished interior of the farmhouse, and the faint "sand" that blows across the Sun in the desert
3) I know it has a proper name, but the blue and red nebula thing at the start of Spaceship Earth is so hypnotic and calming
4) The "ship out at sea" at the start of Pirates and the "islands in the distance" in the windows of the Tiki Room, both make great use of a multitude of practical effects and are things I always like to look out for when I visit
5) All of the details of old Test Track - I felt like I always would find something new in the queue, the preshow, the environmental chambers, the barrier test, or the post show every time I'd ride!

LastoneOn

This is such a cool thread, think I'll add some things that I really enjoy too:
1) The curtains in the alleyway apartment building that get blown around every time a train launches on Rock 'n' Rollercoaster
Never noticed that. That really is a nice touch, that given most riders' attention is focused on other things, probably didn't have to be there.

Sbk1234

A few people have already mentioned that little pirate ship out in the distance in POTC; one of my favorite effects.
The Pirates in the cell playing chess in the queue.
The flooded town in Big Thunder.
The pyramid and volcano that the boat drifts past at the beginning of Grand Fiesta, before going “into” the building.
The music in just about every attraction.

Qscout

For me it has to be the bootleg Mickey Mouse image in Harambe Market.

Firstly Disney even admitting that their products get ripped off by third parties is pretty clever, but then the sheer paradox of a Disney character in the hyper realism, but still entirely fictional Harambe village just blows me away.

It’s like they want us to feel like we have left Disney and have traveled to Africa, and they are so darn confident they have pulled that suspension of belief off, that they slap a Mickey Mouse on the wall. For me, rather than diminish the idea of being in an African town, it actually makes it seem more real.

Oh the paradox. Well played
Does anyone have a photo of this? Something I have missed but love the idea of.

JugglingFreak

Does anyone have a photo of this? Something I have missed but love the idea of.
Fichwa-Fellow-Wall.jpg

rreading

We spotted this at Disneyland; I thought it was funny.

When we were walking back from Galaxy's Edge my father needed to sit down and rest so we sat on the rock walls of the flower beds - which are filled with odd-looking plants - and realized we were hearing alien creatures coming from the flower beds.

I hadn't noticed this either. For us, we were struck by how fun the music was in the restrooms in Galaxy's Edge.

I suppose that altogether I would say that the restrooms at the parks would definitely be under appreciated by most. From the Tangled restrooms to the restroom at Abracadabar to the one at Skippers Canteen - there are so many restrooms at WDW which add to the atmosphere.

yeti

The transcendental feeling of getting lost in the mirrored lights at the top of the SSE descent.

Sitting quietly in the Mission Space cockpit in the moments before the capsule rises, waiting for launch (especially when capcom is like “commander everything is going to be a-ok” in response to their increased heart rate) Goosebumps.

The way Olaf “notices” you as you round the first bend on Frozen Ever After.

Weirdly enough, one of the scariest Disney ride moments for me is waiting for the damned “imagination is a BLAST” on JIIwF

The first brake test on Test Track is the best and most thrilling part of the ride. It only lasts half a second but it’s the most “out of control” feeling in the pit of your stomach you get on any Disney ride anywhere.

When Nemo squeezes out of the pipe on The Seas.

unmitigated disaster

I hadn't noticed this either. For us, we were struck by how fun the music was in the restrooms in Galaxy's Edge.

I suppose that altogether I would say that the restrooms at the parks would definitely be under appreciated by most. From the Tangled restrooms to the restroom at Abracadabar to the one at Skippers Canteen - there are so many restrooms at WDW which add to the atmosphere.
I take photos of the bathroom signs - they tend to reflect the land they're in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom