Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid closing early (Nov 2nd 2017)

brb1006

I love Little Mermaid! It's a great attraction IMO. I don't understand why some hate it
The show was good when it was new but it's been running for almost 30 years at this point. Not helping that MK finally has a Little Mermaid ride. And the show is already showing it's age.

Edit: Whoops, I thought this thread was talking about the Little Mermaid live show at HS and was actually talking about the MK ride. See what I mean when there are two Little Mermaid attraction at WDW can confuse some guests.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

The show was good when it was new but it's been running for almost 30 years at this point. Not helping that MK finally has a Little Mermaid ride. And the show is already showing it's age.

Edit: Whoops, I thought this thread was talking about the Little Mermaid live show at HS and was actually talking about the MK ride. See what I mean when there are two Little Mermaid attraction at WDW can confuse some guests.
Talking about the ride

Edit: didn't finish reading your post sorry

JoeCamel

mick.jpg
Talking about the ride

Edit: didn't finish reading your post sorry
Only good thing about LM is the queue and the hidden Mickey. That showed some "imagination". This means it will be closed on the mouse's b'day. Booo

Last edited:

Kman101

The more I ride it, the more appreciate I get for the ride. Is it perfect? No. But it almost always has a minimal wait and its a fun way to kill time.

That's where I'm at with it. I've also come around to Pooh (who I shunned because of replacing Toad) as well when there's not much of a wait or I can snag a FP for it after doing everything else I've done. I also feel the same about Nemo at Epcot. I often can walk right on so it's a nice little break. Would I love something better or different? Sure but it's fine when the park has a lot of other problems.

Mermaid isn't awful. Some less plastic looking figures would be good, I think covering the ceiling in the Under The Sea room and making you feel more immersed (sorry but all I can do is look up and see everything) would help and a better ending. Other than that I don't really mind it.

TrojanUSC

The whole story is about a journey under the sea, so a water ride would have made way more sense. The whole thing feels like a Cliff's Notes version of the movie which is just kind of silly, add that to the fact that the Under the Sea scene should have been a highlight but is the least enthralling part of the ride. Doesn't feel like you are "under the sea" at all, but rather inside a warehouse in Orlando. So many other dark rides sell the illusion so much better.

fgmnt

I really resent pulling the high and mighty attitude with an attraction, but for WDI to spend years and years making rides that give you unique experiences with existing IP, making a book report Omnimover ride from a Disney Renaissance film is pretty embarrassing.

IMFearless

I don’t think the ride is particularly bad when compared to Peter Pan or Small World or other similar format dark rides. Sure there is no nostalgia attached to it but when you look at the intended audience for the attraction it fits in well within Fantasyland.

I think people forget that it is also strategic, as it adds vast capacity to the park without significantly boosting attendance. This is significant because the park needs rides which can handle a decent throughput but tend not to bring more guests to the park specifically for the attraction. 7DMT is an example of what happens when you get this in reverse - it’s attractiveness is far higher than its capacity can handle. Too many rides like 7DMT and you would end up with a hot mess.

Sure, It’s no Mansion or Pirates but Mermaid was never meant to be that highly detailed format - it would have ended up increasing attendance too much if the ride was out of this world fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom