Undecided Resort Choice

Disfreak28

Original Poster
Hello everyone!

I am stuck and have not been able to decide as to what resort to stay at for our next trip to Disney (which won't be for a year or so). A little background is normally when we go, we put in two "break days" and visit Magic Kingdom twice and Animal Kingdom twice and the other two parks once. I'm not sure if that will change with having Star Wars open and us not having been there yet, along with the new stuff at EPCOT. We also normally stay at All Stars Sports because of the cost savings and us being able to use that money in the parks and / or for extra things and during our next trip, we would like to possibly stay at a more centrally located resort, and / or one that we can head back from the parks and be able to actually relax and hang out a little bit. We do go to Disney Springs often throughout the stay which is normally 2 weeks, transportation is not an issue (we do not mind busses).

This trip is almost "no money is an issue" because it would be celebrating our college graduations and a deluxe is not an issue. We are from New England and wanted to try and avoid anything that resembles home (so I think that's Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk). I was thinking of the following resorts and just wanted some of your opinions :) (these are in no specific order)

Wilderness Lodge
Polynesian
Port Orleans (River / FQ)
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs

Thank you in advance!

larryz

Completely Saponificated
Premium Member
Advertisement
Hello everyone!

I am stuck and have not been able to decide as to what resort to stay at for our next trip to Disney (which won't be for a year or so). A little background is normally when we go, we put in two "break days" and visit Magic Kingdom twice and Animal Kingdom twice and the other two parks once. I'm not sure if that will change with having Star Wars open and us not having been there yet, along with the new stuff at EPCOT. We also normally stay at All Stars Sports because of the cost savings and us being able to use that money in the parks and / or for extra things and during our next trip, we would like to possibly stay at a more centrally located resort, and / or one that we can head back from the parks and be able to actually relax and hang out a little bit. We do go to Disney Springs often throughout the stay which is normally 2 weeks, transportation is not an issue (we do not mind busses).

This trip is almost "no money is an issue" because it would be celebrating our college graduations and a deluxe is not an issue. We are from New England and wanted to try and avoid anything that resembles home (so I think that's Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk). I was thinking of the following resorts and just wanted some of your opinions :) (these are in no specific order)

Wilderness Lodge
Polynesian
Port Orleans (River / FQ)
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs

Thank you in advance!
Since you're going to be doing Animal Kingdom twice, why not include the Animal Kingdom Lodge in your plans? It's roughly the same sizes and prices as Wilderness Lodge.

Wilderness Lodge - Great Lodge, fireplace, rustic and spacious feel in lobby. Stayed there a few times
Polynesian - Being updated. Stayed there a few times.
Port Orleans (River / FQ) - Not a deluxe hotel. Stayed there once.
Old Key West - Decades ago these where the first DVC, They had the feel of nice large apartments. DVC got better, but smaller designs in later projects. Being DVC member I still have never chosen to stay there.
Saratoga Springs - Stayed here a few times, somewhat like apartments, easiest place to book as a DVC member because of the large quantity of rooms. Close to Disney Springs, and Saratoga Springs is huge with lots of room spread over a large area. It is fashioned in New York (Saratoga) decor, so it may not be what you want if you do not want a North Eastern style.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Last edited:

Zé_Carioca

Given the fact that you guys don't have a budget and seem to want to visit MK and DAK most of all, I totally recommend splurging for a Monorail Resort. I stayed at the poly and loved it, it is so serene and really makes you feel like you're on vacation, plus there are so many amazing food options. The only problem would be that they are closed/renovating and might not be done by your trip depending on when it is. I recently stayed at the Contemporary and loved it. The fact that you can shortly walk to the Magic Kingdom is in itself so worth it, plus the hotel itself was nice since its pretty compact and it is cool to have the monorail going right through it.

I also second what one comment said about the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I have never stayed there but love visiting. Having the Savannah views would add to your celebration/make the trip extra special, plus the restaurants there are amazing.

But to answer the rest of your questions:

Wilderness Lodge- I stayed here twice and for sentimental reasons and due to theming it is my favorite resort, though, it is more of a winter resort in my opinion. It has the boat to the Magic Kingdom so that would be a plus for you as well.

Polynesian- see above

Port Orleans (River / FQ)- I've stayed at Riverside and love how beautiful it is. Though it is pretty big so you might have a long walk from the lobby/pool to the room. French Quarter is much more compact so I would recommend them, plus they have beignets and a nice/fun Jazz bar.

Old Key West/Saratoga Springs- I've never stayed at either but have dined at/visited both and they are similar in style (very spread out DVC resorts). I personally don't like how spread out they are, unless you have a car. But both are pretty, with Saratoga being a bit better IMO. Both also have boats to DS which is nice.

tanc

OKW is a beautiful resort, family favorite. Only issue is the bus system/resort layout is really bad.

wlodge_man

⬅️ ⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️
See answer to your left... ;-)

I would go with a Deluxe if your budget allows. Of course I'm biased to WL, but what comes to mind when you think of a relaxing place? Northwestern Lodge, tropical setting?? I would look at photos of different Deluxe resorts to see which appeals to you and go with that. Or you could do a split stay and pick 2 Deluxe resorts and do a week at both!

Dog Ate Mouse

Honestly if I am planning a trip and money not being a factor ,I would stay either at the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge would be the best bet to ensure you are not feeling at home of have a little at home sense. Two beautiful themed out Stays for sure.

mdcpr

If money is not an issue, WL is a great option. It's beautiful, the on-site food is great, we loved the stores, and is absolutely charming.

dmw

In the Parks
No
We love POFQ (moderate resort)! Convenient boat rides to Disney Springs are a plus. Buses to all parks are not bad. POR and POFQ share amenities, including all pools. But, I don't know when they are to re-open.

AKL is a wonderful Deluxe property. With price no problem, splurge for the savanna view - it is awesome!

The only monorail resort we have stayed at is the Poly. It is a nice property, but we prefer AKL. Keep in mind that the monorails do get very busy at peak times, even the resort loop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom