Ultimate Thread About Br'er Bear's Rump

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Original Poster
The older posters are the versions I saw on my visit (1993!!!), and they really are the best. Why the heck did MK replace them with a "nice" version??? I hope DL never updates Snow White's Witch Warning Sign with a beaming, friendly "sweet" witch! :D
Maybe too many said they looked gross?

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Original Poster
3306388637_ece39f96d0 copy.jpg
Yeah, this is why I shouldn't use Photoshop. Ever.

BasiltheBatLord

A lot of people don’t know this, but there’s an AA Owl in the queue for Tokyo’s Splash that talks on a loop, I’m guessing giving some kind of background for the attraction’s story. Despite having a decent grasp on Japanese I’ve never been able to understand him though.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Original Poster
A lot of people don’t know this, but there’s an AA Owl in the queue for Tokyo’s Splash that talks on a loop, I’m guessing giving some kind of background for the attraction’s story. Despite having a decent grasp on Japanese I’ve never been able to understand him though.
Do you mean him?
TDR-207.jpg

BasiltheBatLord

Yup. I'd be interested as to how Japanese are introduced to the Uncle Remus tales, since I think Southern U.S. culture is considered a pretty crucial cultural background for those stories. I also wish I could understand more of the on-ride dialogue in Japanese to see if there's any kind of dialect used by the characters to relay "Southern" type speech.

Sharon&Susan

Yup. I'd be interested as to how Japanese are introduced to the Uncle Remus tales, since I think Southern U.S. culture is considered a pretty crucial cultural background for those stories. I also wish I could understand more of the on-ride dialogue in Japanese to see if there's any kind of dialect used by the characters to relay "Southern" type speech.
Song of the South has had a laserdisc and (I think) a VHS release in Japan, so that’d probably help.

SuddenStorm

It's actually better...'cause WDI concept art wouldn't happen until after an expensive "research trip."

"To find inspiration for our newest themed land, the Imagineers took an all expenses paid research trip to a pre existing location known as "Paradise Pier". This gave the Imagineers new inspiration and a general direction they wanted to take our newest Pixar experience, even influencing the layout and attractions."

shambolicdefending

My Japanese is rusty, but I think the owl is giving kind of a "Hold onto your hats and glasses," type message. Pretty sure he says something about rabbits at some point. He's using a super old grandpa-type dialect though. Hard to sort out.

Never been on the ride personally, but from browsing a couple of YouTube videos it sounds like most of the characters are using a similar mix of old, rural accents. Probably the closest Japan can get to mimicking the southern plantation feel.

Texas84

My Japanese is rusty, but I think the owl is giving kind of a "Hold onto your hats and glasses," type message. Pretty sure he says something about rabbits at some point. He's using a super old grandpa-type dialect though. Hard to sort out.

Never been on the ride personally, but from browsing a couple of YouTube videos it sounds like most of the characters are using a similar mix of old, rural accents. Probably the closest Japan can get to mimicking the southern plantation feel.
Maybe a Tohoku accent?

Rich T

Actually, though, the ride's story works fine without any knowledge or exposure to Southern U.S. culture or folktales. 99.99 percent (I checked!) of everyone who rides and enjoys Splash Mt. have never seen Song of the South, have never heard an Uncle Remus folktale in their lives, and never will. If they're paying attention to the ride, they see it as a story about a rabbit running away from home who gets caught by a fox and a bear, and then escapes over a waterfall and relaxes back at home while the fox and bear get bit by an alligator. :) Then later they wonder why that bear's butt was all over the place. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom