Uk & Ireland Fans Rejoice!!!

dave&di

After this trip in Sept I won't be going back till 2014 :cry: but great news for some! We have got 10% off with virgin every time we've booked.

Upvote 0

stuart

Depends who you choose to fly with and how you book your holiday.

Virgin from Glasgow is astronomical now compared to when they first started in 2007 - partly as they ramped up the prices after Globespan and Excel went bust.

Last couple years we've gone with Continental via Newark (who we used for years until Virgin started to fly out of GLA), US Airways via Philadelphia and this year Aer Lingus via Dublin - where you also clear US Immigration. All of them are well over £1k cheaper than Virgin for when we go - last weekend in June

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Interesting?

We do package vacations.Have checked out flights then added on resort prices then transfers from Sanford and it was no cheaper than the whole package deal.This year we went for TC as First Choice have teamed up with Thomsons and their prices were sky high.At the end of the day,you got to shop about.:wave:

Upvote 0

stuart

We normally do packages, but travel agent got it cheaper doing it flights / hotel last year and then this year.

First Choice had a good rep, but now its with Thomson you might end up on a Thomson configured plane instead of the much better First Choice one. You should be alrite with Thomas Cook as they are keeping seat pitch at 33" and seat back TVs for the summer - which for a while didn't look likely!

Upvote 0

irish_man

I found a receipt for our holiday in 2008, it was £3098. Same holiday this year, same time of year is £4150. In todays tough times I just cant justify that. So guess a nice break in Killarney will have to do

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Original Poster
I found a receipt for our holiday in 2008, it was £3098. Same holiday this year, same time of year is £4150. In todays tough times I just cant justify that. So guess a nice break in Killarney will have to do

Yes it has risen but its like everything else :brick:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

My in-laws just returned from a trip to Ireland. They said going to stores and such ordinary things looked to be comparable to the prices we pay in the US...except those numbers are in Euros so then you have to figure the exchange rate. I want to say they said it was like paying 1/3 more for everything. That's the kind of stuff I find quite fascinating.

Oh! And they said gasoline prices were insane! Crazy high and only by the litre. I'd die. My car has to have high-octane so I freak out over $4.30/gallon. That's a gallon! Not litre!!!

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
My in-laws just returned from a trip to Ireland. They said going to stores and such ordinary things looked to be comparable to the prices we pay in the US...except those numbers are in Euros so then you have to figure the exchange rate. I want to say they said it was like paying 1/3 more for everything. That's the kind of stuff I find quite fascinating.

Oh! And they said gasoline prices were insane! Crazy high and only by the litre. I'd die. My car has to have high-octane so I freak out over $4.30/gallon. That's a gallon! Not litre!!!

Yeah that all sounds about right, its Becoming crazy expensive here, cost of living is so much cheaper stateside!!

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Spot On.

We normally do packages, but travel agent got it cheaper doing it flights / hotel last year and then this year.

First Choice had a good rep, but now its with Thomson you might end up on a Thomson configured plane instead of the much better First Choice one. You should be alrite with Thomas Cook as they are keeping seat pitch at 33" and seat back TVs for the summer - which for a while didn't look likely!

FC has 33" and seat back tv,as do Thomsons.Flythomascook has same on all flights over six hours,we went to Cyprus last year and my legs were killing me when we got off,it's surprising what an extra few inches make,what's that darling,no Iam on Disney web site.:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Prices.

Our 2010 vacation at PORS for 14 days Inc 14 day ultimate ticket in July with no free dining was £3200.This year,same resort,July,14 days,14 day ultimate ticket WITH free dining,£3500 so not too bad.:wave:

Upvote 0

stuart

Our 2010 vacation at PORS for 14 days Inc 14 day ultimate ticket in July with no free dining was £3200.This year,same resort,July,14 days,14 day ultimate ticket WITH free dining,£3500 so not too bad.:wave:

When abouts in July are you heading there?

Problem with Thomson as opposed to the First Choice fleet is they have an extra seat in every row. Same with Thomas Cook on their long haul fleet. And the plan with Thomas Cook was to add mroe seats to bring in more revenue, which would then bring the seat pitch back down to around the short haul fleet has.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

When abouts in July are you heading there?

Problem with Thomson as opposed to the First Choice fleet is they have an extra seat in every row. Same with Thomas Cook on their long haul fleet. And the plan with Thomas Cook was to add mroe seats to bring in more revenue, which would then bring the seat pitch back down to around the short haul fleet has.

July 15th till 29th.TC has 33" seat pitch on all trans Atlantic flights.:wave:

Upvote 0

stuart

Typical, we go home day before you fly out!

And yeah, thats what I meant in my first post, they have it still, but the plan had been to change it down to 30 and take out the seat back TV's. That would save on weight so less fuel = less money, while getting more money from the extra few rows they would get by lowering the seat pitch.

Upvote 0
We booked with Travel City Direct who went bust a few years ago but got bought by Virgin and for our trip in June to Saratoga Springs going via Manchester they were £600 cheaper and use the same Virgin airline flights looks like Virgin holidays are adding on some extra costs for the brand name. It looks like free dining has become a real big marketing tool for us UK travellers I remember the first year they did it for the Uk and the window was for a few months Aug to Nov i think. This year you had to look hard for dates when it wasnt on offer (easter being one) but even the busy summer months they are offering it to us!

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Original Poster
We booked with Travel City Direct who went bust a few years ago but got bought by Virgin and for our trip in June to Saratoga Springs going via Manchester they were £600 cheaper and use the same Virgin airline flights looks like Virgin holidays are adding on some extra costs for the brand name. It looks like free dining has become a real big marketing tool for us UK travellers I remember the first year they did it for the Uk and the window was for a few months Aug to Nov i think. This year you had to look hard for dates when it wasnt on offer (easter being one) but even the busy summer months they are offering it to us!

Free dining rules!
Familys coming from our side save huge money with it :sohappy:

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Free Dining.

I agree.Never hit the free DDP until this year,always go in July,but the savings are awesome in the food department.We've made three ADRS for TS but the QS restaurants are superb at WDW.Long may the magic continue.:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom