Uber to Contemporary

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
Has anyone taken an Uber to Contemporary and walked to MK recently? Has Disney attempted to stop this practice or is it still an option?

nickys

Premium Member
Has anyone taken an Uber to Contemporary and walked to MK recently? Has Disney attempted to stop this practice or is it still an option?

The worst case scenario is the Uber driver is not allowed past the barrier if you don’t have a reservation or ADR. Then you could hop out after he turns.

I haven’t heard of recent issues, but it has sometimes been reported especially around major holidays (July 4th, NY).

LavaLiz

In my experience it depends on the time of year for if they will let you inside the gate without a dining reservation. It is more difficult during holidays.

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
As an Uber driver this is very annoying. Please don't ask us to do stuff we're not supposed to do. Take the monorail or ferry boat like everyone else. Thank you.
This is actually why I posed the question. I wasn't sure if this is something that is against any rule or expectation for Disney. So far as I can tell, you're free to explore the common areas of other resorts, so I don't see how or why it would violate a rule. If Disney is stopping this during the busy holidays, is it because they just aren't enforcing it other times, or that the rule/expectation actually changes during those busy times?

Edit: Let me be clear in expressing that I have no desire to break rules or violate anything the resort would ask me not to do. That said, I'm most certainly going to use every fair advantage or workaround that I can to maximize my trip.

I have had 0 issues taking a Lyft to Contemporary, or any Deluxe resort as recent as December 2018. We used Lyft's on all of our trips last year with no issues. They sometimes asked for an ID of the driver OR my wife and I in the back. They asked us a couple times the reason for the visit and each time was for breakfast or dinner.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

So - the potential problem....

If the practice escalates? The Contemporary GATE will likely do something no one wants to see :(. Like ban UBER and LYFT :(.
Now, that in itself could be a problem, as no one needs to get through the GATE to use the crosswalk :(.

I shudder to think of cars pulling over, just past the light, on a very narrow, busy road :(.

My fear, if the situation worsens? The Walkway Path will get shut down, or somehow altered to allow only Contemporary Guests to use it :(. Potential low bridge walkway starting INSIDE the Contemporary GATE area?

There is a far better solution.... the REAL problem is the Walkway Security Area. It's small, dedicated, and the EXIT puts one past the Bus loop Security Area. This is the draw. Solve the issue by eliminating the draw.

IMHO - the MK end of the Walkway needs work. It needs to empty in FRONT of the Bus Security Area, rendering Walkway and Bus Lot equal. This would be a hard job, as the tiny Bus Loop in that spot is crammed with Police vehicles :(. There is literally no ROOM for a Walkway Path alteration :(.

So - fixing this issue? Hard job. I'm not sure how WDW could do it :(.

So - the potential problem....

If the practice escalates? The Contemporary GATE will likely do something no one wants to see :(. Like ban UBER and LYFT :(.
Now, that in itself could be a problem, as no one needs to get through the GATE to use the crosswalk :(.

I shudder to think of cars pulling over, just past the light, on a very narrow, busy road :(.

My fear, if the situation worsens? The Walkway Path will get shut down, or somehow altered to allow only Contemporary Guests to use it :(. Potential low bridge walkway starting INSIDE the Contemporary GATE area?

There is a far better solution.... the REAL problem is the Walkway Security Area. It's small, dedicated, and the EXIT puts one past the Bus loop Security Area. This is the draw. Solve the issue by eliminating the draw.

IMHO - the MK end of the Walkway needs work. It needs to empty in FRONT of the Bus Security Area, rendering Walkway and Bus Lot equal. This would be a hard job, as the tiny Bus Loop in that spot is crammed with Police vehicles :(. There is literally no ROOM for a Walkway Path alteration :(.

So - fixing this issue? Hard job. I'm not sure how WDW could do it :(.

I would think the walkway is something less known to the vast majority of guests that go to WDW... I had no idea about until a few years ago when I saw people walking by the bridge in the middle of the walkway and was confused where they were going. They have one tiny sign near the start of it and that's it. I do hope that isn't taken away from non-Contemporary guests. The Lyft/Uber drop offs past the gate very well could get taken away, however I really don't see the problem or risk compared to the value and potential WDW gets by letting people in this way to these resorts. I would argue over half the time people get dropped off to these resorts by ride share is for dining at one of the restaurants. Some groups may just want to check it out before taking the monorail to a park. But I think the vast majority of the time, people who arrive to the resorts is planning to spend money at that resort.

Now I can see them wanting to limit the number of people during high peak times as they don't want the deluxe MK loop resorts to not have a more exclusive feel to them, but I'm not sure it's gotten that bad. We can't use the pools, or any other amenities other than dining and walking around the grounds.

With more and more signage going up at resorts and now parks regarding ride share drop offs and pickups, it seems in fact that WDW is somewhat embracing this method of travel and trying to prepare areas to support it. We'll see how they continue to support it and if changes come down that limit how far in guests can get dropped off to resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom